Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:01:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689218
  • Total Topics: 118264
  • Online Today: 500
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Downsizing Due to Age  (Read 7179 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Downsizing Due to Age
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2020, 08:41:31 PM »
Yes with the main driver being that to get rid I would need to be able to reach just under 200 years old even if I was to paint a figure a day and a couple extra at the weekend!

Add to that, the minor fact that I no longer want to play the original games I bought the figures for (even if I remember) then time to go was the only way.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2020, 10:08:55 PM »
That might be your opinion but have kept to it.
Am massively in credit with the stuff I have sold this year.

Good man SN, wish I knew the secret of how to do it!

:'(
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline mweaver

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2020, 11:20:31 PM »
I haven't, yet, at 63.  But I console myself that I have a younger wife and a younger brother both in the hobby so, you know, it is more their worry than mine.  Woo hoo! (Especially as aardtacha is usually the one who catalogs stuff).

-Michael

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: July 28, 2020, 04:21:30 AM »
I sold about a quarter of my figure collection for £1,500 . When I told my wife and Son they looked at me in amazement and said they would have thrown everything in the bin as they had no idea that the figures were worth anything !!!

That is definitely something I think about.  My figures have value but some of my books and games are worth quite a bit.  The last three book/games sold for over $1000 which caught my wife's attention so at least she will pay attention.  Most of the rest is worth a lot less per book but certainly not something one should bin.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2020, 08:14:23 AM »
No worries on my part, the pitiless mercenaries calling themselves my kids, know the value of Daddio's books and toys to the penny.
I rest easy in the knowledge that when I do shake a seven, you lads will be haggling for 'em all on fleabay, before mi' corpse is cold.

:'(  :?  :'(

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #20 on: July 28, 2020, 07:24:42 PM »
They're not minis, but don't even ask how much the wifey and I have socked away between our two MTG card collections... at least people (including close family) know those are worth money.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline emosbur

• Mad Scientist
    • A COVA DO TRASNO
« Reply #21 on: July 28, 2020, 08:23:27 PM »
I turned 54 in March, and I am buying more than ever...

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2020, 10:05:27 AM »
I thought about doing this and even started organising what to sell and what to keep.  Then the grandchildren took up "The Hobbit" then "Lord of the Rings" then "Zombies" now "Bolt Action" and "Greek myths" and "Romans and Celts".  So I am now building and painting more than ever with them. My son suddenly decided to return to wargaming with "Bolt Action".   I'm nearly 70 so I think most of my stuff will go to good homes.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Spinal Tap

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2020, 12:05:34 PM »
I'm 54 and only started 2 years ago.
Way too early for me to be downsizing.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2020, 12:54:04 PM »
I am 68 and still have a lot of lead to paint - ACW in 15 & 28mm, SYW 28mm, Nap Skirmish 28mm, Cavemen/dino's 28mm and have just started to invest in Chain of Command 28mm.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Leunstoelgeneraal

• Assistant
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2020, 01:39:10 PM »
Since growing older only means a growing distance between one's fysical age (in my case 74) and one's mental age (I estimate somewhere below thirty ;-)) I have chosen to seduce possible heirs - my grandchildren. So I have painted approximately eighty WW II US soldiers, including a tank, and am now finishing about as many Germans as opponents (with a large cannon). All 1/72 plastic. He already took the Americans to school to proudly show them. He is eight years old, his brother is ten. I am sure I can get them to the dark side !

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2020, 08:55:33 AM »
I suppose a main factor in this is retirement. At the age of 54, I feel I have downsized as much as I can to accord with the painting time and gaming opportunities I have, which aren't great with work and other commitments at the moment. However I presume when I retire, if my enthusiasm and painting ability is maintained, I imagine my output will considerably increase with more stuff being acquired.

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2020, 12:12:42 PM »
I retired December 2018 and in 2019 painted 486 25/28mm figures despite taking September off for a trip to Cyprus and all of December when I got offered a lucrative contract in Mobile, Al.
I would still be in Mobile if not for Covid but my output is up to 385 figures so far this year.
Only thing to watch out for is tennis elbow from the repeated motions when painting.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2020, 04:22:22 PM »
Painting the figure backlog isn't my problem; its the dusty boxes of painted but unused miniatures from many years ago. I have decided on a limited sell-off of several forces believing it better to send them to someone who will actually use them. The "Bazaar of Obscurities" has proved very useful. 

Offline Antonio J Carrasco

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2020, 04:47:53 AM »
I've been thinking about it for years...