Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686500
  • Total Topics: 118104
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Grey League of Morris - Finished at Last!  (Read 16234 times)

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Grey League of Morris - it’s a Lazarus moment 30.04.21
« Reply #90 on: May 02, 2021, 09:05:14 AM »
TURN 1: The cultists will go first (see above regarding Initiative). Rodney, Steve and the Adiutor (the three guarding the road approaches) are Hidden. Things don’t start too well for them. As Rodney noisily attempts to gain maximum cover from the hedge, he disturbs a sleeping adder. The reptile is disgruntled and relieves its frustration by sinking its fangs into Rodney’s leg. He, in turn, shrieks, collapses and goes into shock. He is Down and Out. <he failed a Challenge and the subsequent Health rolls>.Throppetus Summus Bellator reluctantly accepts that, as he is in Reserve, he’d better move up and take Rodney’s place (carefully avoiding adders). As Martin has not been able to repair the lorry, that completes the cultists' turn.

The Greys set off with Herefordshire and Staffordshire racing up the road hoping to surprise the cultists by a display of daring coupled with élan (and maybe a hint of recklessness). Staffordshire manages to get his legs entangled with his stick but recovers without any damage done <survives a Peril played on him by The Adiutor who drew the relevant card>.

Meanwhile, Shropshire and Gloucestershire have set off at a fast pace across the fields towards the road north. Herefordshire and Staffordshire can be seen racing up the road in the background.

Giselle is standing in a field by the van and appears to be singing.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #91 on: May 02, 2021, 09:11:15 AM »
Some people just don’t realise how dangerous the English countryside can be
...it’s like a jungle out here    ;) :D

As regards puppies and sleeping, I’m now in a routine of going to bed at 9.30 ready for my 5.00am wake-up call. And you’ve got 2....! Are they pups?

A pair of 3 year old beagles....wake with the dawn, have a sing song, then go back to sleep having woken me up.  ;D

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #92 on: May 02, 2021, 09:30:01 AM »
Some people just don’t realise how dangerous the English countryside can be
...it’s like a jungle out here    ;) :D
The Wild Moorlands of Borsetshire are particularly savage.

A pair of 3 year old beagles....wake with the dawn, have a sing song, then go back to sleep having woken me up.  ;D
Oh no; I was hoping this was just puppy behaviour  :(

Doug

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #93 on: May 02, 2021, 09:47:54 AM »

A farmer near to us has had to put out signs to warn random townies not to stroll through his fields when the cows have young calves....apparently it comes as a bit of a shock that cows can be aggressive  ;)

Oh no; I was hoping this was just puppy behaviour  :(

Not as far as I can see....one of the reasons why coffee is my friend.

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #94 on: May 02, 2021, 10:04:19 AM »

The joy of scent hounds  ;)

Odds are that they're smelling Mr or Mrs Fox on it's way home.

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #95 on: May 04, 2021, 09:49:10 PM »

Good idea to stay to the path then!

My black lab (sadly no longer with us) sat by his food bowl every morning at 5:30 am waiting for me to fill it on my way out for work.  Saturdays he sometimes waited until 6:30 am before inquiring rather insistently he be fed.  Took years to convince him to sleep in until 7:30 am.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2021, 05:48:35 AM »
TURN 2: Morris to go first. As the adversaries of both sides steel themselves for what is to come, a strange, inexplicable lassitude affects all present. Everyone slows to walking pace, looks vacantly around and has no thoughts of doing anything as energetic as shooting, running or fighting <the card CALM was drawn which has the effect outlined above. This only lasts for 1 turn>.
Agent Staffordshire is still having trouble with his stick and this time manages do himself a painful mischief <he fails a challenge and his Health drops a level>. Nevertheless, he manages to keep pace with Herefordshire who, whilst feeling the same strange ennui as everyone else, manages to spot Steve Bellator although he can do nothing about it.
The other two Morris men amble across the fields and reach the hedges bordering the road to the North.

Giselle is still "singing"?

The cultists are feeling just as inexplicably chilled as the Morris. The Adiutor stays put. Steve stroll over to take cover behind a wall having seen the approach of Herefordshire and Staffordshire and the Summus Bellator takes cover behind the lorry having been made aware of the approach of the two Morris men by Steve.

The turn is ended by Staffordshire making a failed Recovery roll. His Health remains reduced.

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
Re: The Grey League of Morris - Turn 2. All is CALM
« Reply #97 on: May 05, 2021, 07:50:04 AM »
I glance away and when I look back, two turns have taken place and a whole litter of hounds have joined the thread!   :o

I suspect that this suspicious ennui that the protagonists are feeling may be as a result of crossing a magic-mushroom field. No wonder Giselle is singing.

Great stuff!   :-*
« Last Edit: May 05, 2021, 07:52:16 AM by Mad Lord Snapcase »

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Grey League of Morris - Turn 2. All is CALM
« Reply #98 on: May 08, 2021, 09:37:52 AM »
I suspect that this suspicious ennui that the protagonists are feeling may be as a result of crossing a magic-mushroom field. No wonder Giselle is singing.

Great stuff!   :-*
Thanks, old sport and of course, I hadn’t thought about the mushrooms - that must have been it....!

TURN 3: Cultists start and things immediately hot up. The Adiutor opens up on Herefordshire and Staffordshire with his tommy gun. They Dodge out of range. The road they were advancing on is now a Perilous area. The Adiutor loses control of his gun during the prolonged burst of fire and wrenches his shoulder. He loses a level of health <a failed Peril and Health roll result>. The hail of fire also blocks the line-of-sight of the rest of the cultists so they do nothing. Martin has not been able to get the lorry going yet.

Morris. Herefordshire runs to the left to outflank The Adiutor. He opens up and misses...! The Adiutor responds and also misses...! Staffordshire, unsettled by the smg attack, is slow to follow his leader <card effect>.

The other two reach their objective on the North road and set up their ambush, facing south.

Giselle is singing.

Recovery. Both Staffordshire and The Adiutor fail their Recovery rolls.
[/i]

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
Re: The Grey League of Morris - Turn 3. Less calm
« Reply #99 on: May 08, 2021, 07:47:36 PM »
Seems that "spray and pray" is not the best strategy if your prayers go to whoever it is these cultists follow...  lol

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Grey League of Morris - Turn 3. Less calm
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2021, 12:10:57 PM »
Seems that "spray and pray" is not the best strategy if your prayers go to whoever it is these cultists follow...  lol

They may be misguided.... :D

TURN 4
The Morris draw cards. Oh dear....! Agent Gloucestershire (he of the cider jug) has obviously had too much. Put simply, he falls over  <fails a Challenge on the card he drew>.

Agent Shropshire remains Hidden in ambush.

Things are still working against Staffordshire . He gets totally tangled up in brambles and takes all of the turn to extricate himself <fails a Challenge on the card he drew>. Herefordshire shoots at The Adiutor who returns the fire. Both score two hits. Herefordshire decides not to cancel any of the hits on him so both must make two Health rolls which they do successfully. Herefordshire then moves out of sight. Giselle is singing. End of Morris turn.

Cultists' turn. Martin Bellator is still toiling over the lorry without success. The Adiutor and Steve decide to go after Herefordshire since he’s the only one who has actually attacked them and they know where he is. Steve attempts to climb the outcrop that Herefordshire ducked behind. Encumbered by his flame-thrower fuel tanks, he fails. This ends his turn although he doesn’t suffer any other negative effects. The Adiutor follows Herefordshire and sends another hail of tommy-gun fire at him. Once again, Herefordshire Dodges successfully.
Herefordshire is helpfully circled in red to show his position. Staffordshire, wrestling out-of-sight with brambles, is circled in blue.

Summus Bellator (the Leader - remember?) stays close to the lorry, protecting Martin and guarding the road north. He feels he’s doing two vital and dangerous jobs while all his men are having an easy time just doing one.
Things may be improving for Staffordshire - he makes a successful Recovery Roll. Alas, Gloucestershire can do no more than babble drunkenly; he’s still down. Similarly, The Adiutor has no luck and remains on reduced Health. End of Turn 4.
<Note: I forgot to take the Adiutor's reduced Health into account during his gun battle with Herefordshire. Lucky old Adiutor....!>

Doug

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Grey League of Morris - Turn 6 - Scarecrows
« Reply #101 on: May 31, 2021, 10:31:19 AM »
Turn 5
Whoa.....! What’s this? I’ll tell you what it is. The cultists reinforcements have arrived <they’ve been trying to get them since Turn 3; it’s all decided by a die roll which has now been successful>.

They are a Team of the Worried Throppet Cult Assault Warriors. This is a problem for Agents Gloucestershire and Shropshire. They have positioned themselves to interdict any move north along the road by the cultists at the crossroads. Another group of cultists advancing south along that road was not expected. Add to that Gloucestershire keeling over, the worse for drink and it’s obvious that Shropshire has a problem.

Cards are drawn for the cultists. As a result, Bellator Impetum Derek, responding to a cry of "Watch out, someone’s hiding behind the hedge", pulls the trigger on his pistol and shoots himself in the foot - Down and, indeed, Out....! It was Bellator Impetum Kevin who had shouted; he’d spotted Agent Shropshire. There’s an ineffective exchange of shots. The Throppetus Princeps Impetus (circled in blue) orders the rest of his men to the flanks. He himself bursts through the hedge to the right. Peculiari Cultum In Secundo Gradu fails to follow him whilst Bellator Impetum Primus Genus (circled in red) leaps over  the fence to the left and advances towards Shropshire.

Back at the crossroads, meanwhile, The Adiutor, opens up on Herefordshire who again Dodges out of danger. Steve Bellator again fails to manoeuvre his flame thrower gear up the hill. End of the cultist's turn.

It’s the Morris' turn and once again it’s Whoa.....!...What’s this? You know what? It’s déja vu all over again.

More new arrivals and this time from the south and these are new arrivals with knobs on. On the prosaic side, we have Farmer Silas Grundy; you probably wouldn’t have expected him to turn up in the middle of a gun fight but not beyond the bounds of possibility. But his companions? This is getting strange. Not to string it out, they are scarecrows; walking; apparently alive. Hmmm...? So far, no-one has noticed them.

Herefordshire takes a shot at the Adiutor who replies and both miss. Staffordshire, for once able to do something, opens up on a surprised Adiutor and once again, he responds and once again there are no hits. To round off the action (action? Are you kidding me?), Shropshire and Bellator Kevin exchange ineffective shots.

Health rolls are made resulting in Staffordshire returning to full Health; no-one else succeeds in regaining lost Health. Gloucestershire is Out and removed from the scene <this should have happened last turn after he failed his Recovery roll but I, er, forgot>.
Giselle has stopped singing.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 10:33:09 AM by Doug ex-em4 »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The Grey League of Morris - Turn 6 - Scarecrows...!
« Reply #102 on: June 01, 2021, 02:20:24 AM »
Well no wonder Giselle stopped singing.  Who could have expected Farmer Silas Grundy and his cloth golems?

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #103 on: June 01, 2021, 03:41:39 PM »
Bloody hell! It's all happening now.

Oh dear....! Agent Gloucestershire (he of the cider jug) has obviously had too much. Put simply, he falls over

Probably had some of those mushrooms that Giselle found? In tandem with his consumption of the old wobble-juice, it's no wonder he went arse-over-tit!

As a result, Bellator Impetum Derek, responding to a cry of "Watch out, someone’s hiding behind the hedge", pulls the trigger on his pistol and shoots himself in the foot

lol   lol   lol   lol   lol

Great stuff!!   :-*

Offline Doug ex-em4

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #104 on: November 10, 2021, 09:41:14 AM »
TURN 6

Towards the south, the scarecrows lurch forward, followed by Farmer Grundy. None of the cultists appear to have noticed them.

Scarecrows lurching whilst Herefordshire and Staffordshire wreak havoc

Herefordshire for once has the drop on The Adiutor and makes no mistake. His accurate shooting sees The Adiutor Down and Herefordshire unscathed...! Agent Staffordshire, now in the best of Health, storms round a clump of trees, spots Steve Bellator and opens fire. Steve responds <not with his flame thrower - Blast can’t be used to counter-attack>, hits are scored and when the smoke clears, Steve is Down.

Meanwhile, at the north end of the action, Bellator Impetum Primus Genus is fired upon by Agent Shropshire. In the exchange of fire, its Shropshire who comes off worse and takes a hit. His Health is reduced but his opponent escapes injury.

End of Morris' turn.

Tremendous excitement at the beginning of the cultists turn. First, there’s a couple of loud-ish explosions, then a great cloud of steam and then a clutch of interesting mechanical noises - yes; Martin has got the steam lorry started...! Meanwhile, the recently arrived cultist group at the north end of the table is having mixed fortunes. Bellator Impetum Kevin has been seized by the same over-enthusiastic attitude as Derek and has succumbed to a self-inflicted wound. However the Primus Genus has succeeded in Downing Agent Shropshire and, along with the other surviving members of the Assault team, is advancing quickly up the road towards their comrades who are also having mixed fortunes.

Agent Shropshire is Down…!

With The Adiutor and Steve both Down as a result of the Morris attacks and the advance of the scarecrows, only the Summus (he’s the Leader - do keep up) is active (apart from Martin but he’s in the lorry). Summus sprints round the back of the inn with the intention of getting John Bellator to bring their prisoner round to the lorry so they can escape.

Summus - sprinting

The end of turn Recovery rolls do not go well for the cultists. Kevin is automatically Out; The Adiutor and Steve both fail so are also Out. To complete the tale of woe, Agent Shropshire succeeds and is back on his feet.
END OF TURN 6