Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 04:35:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Which ruleset to choose?  (Read 1862 times)

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
Which ruleset to choose?
« on: August 01, 2020, 03:24:44 PM »
Hi everyone!!

A long time pulp player here, but new in this forum...
I'm curious about which ruleset is the most used.

I use a homemade ruleset mixing different ones like flying lead (and faith and fear) from ganesha games, pulp alley, bolt action (the activation system mainly)...

I was a bit tired of changing from one ruleset to another, so I decided to make my own, easy enough to be able to be played solo but enjoyable.

Last games have been of weird ww2 (an alternative ww2 full of monsters) using Rangers of shadow deep rules, but in the end I decided to change to my ruleset, as it fits my gaming style.

Could you tell me what ruleset are you using and it's pros and cons?

Right now I am with the weird ww2 games, but I'm planning on gaming perilous Island campaign, and post my reports (AARs) which I enjoy making as much as playing.

If you want yo see my AARs on weird ww2, visit my blog:

https://thelonewarriorenglish.blogspot.com/?m=1

And maybe the next AAR will be on pulp games, a genre which I love (as much as cthulhu style gaming), I leave you some pics of games I have had, and which I intend to make an AAR:

Fear of the Dark skirmish wargame blog (rules, scenarios, general articles...)

https://fearofthedarkskirmishwargame.blogspot.com/

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Which ruleset to choose?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 03:48:15 PM »
Nice! I look forward to reading the report. We use the Ganesha stable of rules for quite a few games from time to time, Pulp included. Quick and simple, as you say, plus it helps not having to re-learn a new set of rules.

Mike Demana

Offline Alcide Nikopol

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 04:27:22 AM »
Pulp Alley continues to be at the top of our list and has been for years. We use it for pulp style games and other settings. For pros, I think it is a very smart set of rules that is easy to play without being a simple IGYG game. It works great for solo play. The activation system keeps all the players involved. The fighting actually feels like fighting. The Pulp Alley guy is very active in the pulp gaming community. For a con, I'd say there are almost too many choices when it comes to creating your own characters.
A.Nik-

Offline Sinewgrab

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • All to all, by my mustard!
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2020, 04:45:01 AM »
Pulp Alley became my go-to for any genre I want to have less than 20 models per side.

Period.  Such a good system.
"There is no known cure for the wargaming virus, only treatments with ever increasing doses of metal."

Offline Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:38:18 AM »
Another vote for Pulp Alley!   :-*

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2020, 11:39:15 AM »
I see that most of you use pulp alley, I bought it long ago, and for me it's a bittersweet feeling...

It has the best character creation I've ever seen, but I see the card system a bit abstract for me.

Offline d phipps

• Galactic Brain
  • Pulp Alley
    • Pulp Alley
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 01:58:19 AM »
I see that most of you use pulp alley, I bought it long ago, and for me it's a bittersweet feeling...

It has the best character creation I've ever seen, but I see the card system a bit abstract for me.

I think I know what you mean. At first, the thought the random challenges can seem kind of weird.

My idea here is too encourage thinking about and solving challenges in a less obvious way. For example, maybe the trick to moving a big boulder may be to use a lever (Cunning or Finesse) instead of just brute strength (Might). The adventure stories and the pulps are full of these sorts of clever tricks.

For another example, let's say a character wants to cross a ravine filled with alligators -- when you draw the random challenge this simply indicates the solution that is available at that moment. If you draw Might, then it suggests a mighty leap will get you across. If you draw Cunning, perhaps you spot a vine you can use to swing across. If you draw Finesse, then you may try running lightly and quickly over the tops of the gators.   :D

Another option that may work better for you is to assign the Challenges ahead of time, so they fit the scenario/situation precisely. We do this as well in some of our scenarios. For example, in the Dungeon of Dagon scenario, you need to roll 2 successes with Might or Cunning to avoid the Tentacles in the Pit.

Anyhoo, I've been in gaming long enough to know that not every game is for every player. Sometimes it just doesn't click - and that's cool.

We'd love for you to give Pulp Alley another try. And please feel free to let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Rule #1: Have fun!

Online NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2020, 02:14:31 AM »
Another vote for Pulp Alley.  Versatile, fun and easily adaptable to just about any genre of gaming.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2020, 04:08:00 AM »
Currently Maximillian 1934 for pulpy road rage action which is quick and fun. 

If I get a chance to do some more pedestrian pulp gaming, 7TV Pulp will be my go to.  I generally like the 7TV format, and just keeping to one system that easily slides between various genres is appealing.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2020, 12:59:44 PM »
I think I know what you mean. At first, the thought the random challenges can seem kind of weird.

My idea here is too encourage thinking about and solving challenges in a less obvious way. For example, maybe the trick to moving a big boulder may be to use a lever (Cunning or Finesse) instead of just brute strength (Might). The adventure stories and the pulps are full of these sorts of clever tricks.

For another example, let's say a character wants to cross a ravine filled with alligators -- when you draw the random challenge this simply indicates the solution that is available at that moment. If you draw Might, then it suggests a mighty leap will get you across. If you draw Cunning, perhaps you spot a vine you can use to swing across. If you draw Finesse, then you may try running lightly and quickly over the tops of the gators.   :D

Another option that may work better for you is to assign the Challenges ahead of time, so they fit the scenario/situation precisely. We do this as well in some of our scenarios. For example, in the Dungeon of Dagon scenario, you need to roll 2 successes with Might or Cunning to avoid the Tentacles in the Pit.

Anyhoo, I've been in gaming long enough to know that not every game is for every player. Sometimes it just doesn't click - and that's cool.

We'd love for you to give Pulp Alley another try. And please feel free to let us know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Rule #1: Have fun!

Thanks a lot for your comment!!!

To assign the challenges in advance would be perfect for me, it makes the game to be not so abstract...

I usually play solo, and I like the events or challenges to be quite clear, not the "solution" or the way to solve/avoid them, but the challenge/problem itself...

For example, as I play solo I use events, one event is that one hero realizes that there is an unaware enemy 3" away, leaning on a wall smoking a cigarette... The challenge/problem is quite clear, but how will the hero solve it? Will he go away stealthily? Will he attack? Will he go around to attack from the top of the wall?

At this moment I am planning on playing your campaign "perilous Island" but in an egyptian setting (I don't have jungle terrain, but plenty of egyptian) and I am making the events chart (general and scenario specific) to make the challenges clear to me and not so abstract.

I usually have a general/common event chart with plenty of options/events, but I like to write a couple of specific events for any specific scenario, so the events adapt to the scenario, and that is what I'm doing at this moment...

I'll write reports (AARs) on the campaign as soon as I start playing it, and I'll put them on my blog and on this forum

If I get a chance to do some more pedestrian pulp gaming, 7TV Pulp will be my go to.  I generally like the 7TV format, and just keeping to one system that easily slides between various genres is appealing.

That's my idea, to have a single ruleset that could be used no matter the setting (pulp, ww2, modern...).

The ruleset that I "made" (mixing features that I like from other ruleset) works for me and makes me focus on the game and enjoy the story instead of pay attention to the rules

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2020, 06:04:57 AM »

There's a good YouTube video that compares Pulp Alley and 7TV.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2020, 06:38:03 AM »

This last decade saw the emergence of Pulp Alley as the most popular game in this genre. During the previous decade no particular rules seemed to dominate, though .45 Adventures featured in many threads here. I was a little surprised that Savage Worlds didn't take off, but it seems that only the RPG crowd knew about that one. Still plenty of fans for 7TV, Ganesha's set of games, or Fistful of Lead/Galactic Heroes. Fistful of Lead seems to be able to handle more players than Pulp Alley.

Personally, I like the way the dice work in Pulp Alley. I'd like to make more use of d12's though. The cards can get a little crazy if players have too many in their hands to keep track of. In two recent games I limited hand size to keep players from having to track too many cards. A GM can make actions less abstract with snap GM decisions. I'd like to experiment with giving characters flaws or hindrances in exchange for gaining an extra ability, as in Savage Worlds. But it can also be difficult to track too many abilities. It might be nice to add a charisma rating.

An advantage to picking a published set of rules and limiting the amount of modification is that doing so allows gaming at conventions using a common language. When a published set of rules is stated for a game in the convention schedule, then a GM can hope to draw some players already familiar with the rules. Of course, conventions are interrupted now. And if you have a regular group or club then it's nice to be able to use a published set of rules rather than having to self publish within the club. Also there are plenty of people online who can share the experience of a published set of rules.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 06:41:16 AM by warrenpeace »

Offline capthugeca

• Mad Scientist
  • “Life is too important to take seriously.”
    • Ten Mil Wargames
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 08:32:09 AM »

Yes, I had one solo game of "Pulp Alley" but didn't get on with the cards.

I like the character creation in ".45 Adventures" but wasn't sure how the rules would work for solo gaming. Recently I have been thinking about combining them with the solo-play system of "Blood on the Blade"/"Blood in Space". Hopefully that will work.
I don\'t know whether to be a good example or a horrible warning.

Offline tereydavi

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2020, 11:20:14 AM »
This last decade saw the emergence of Pulp Alley as the most popular game in this genre. During the previous decade no particular rules seemed to dominate, though .45 Adventures featured in many threads here. I was a little surprised that Savage Worlds didn't take off, but it seems that only the RPG crowd knew about that one. Still plenty of fans for 7TV, Ganesha's set of games, or Fistful of Lead/Galactic Heroes. Fistful of Lead seems to be able to handle more players than Pulp Alley.

Personally, I like the way the dice work in Pulp Alley. I'd like to make more use of d12's though. The cards can get a little crazy if players have too many in their hands to keep track of. In two recent games I limited hand size to keep players from having to track too many cards. A GM can make actions less abstract with snap GM decisions. I'd like to experiment with giving characters flaws or hindrances in exchange for gaining an extra ability, as in Savage Worlds. But it can also be difficult to track too many abilities. It might be nice to add a charisma rating.

An advantage to picking a published set of rules and limiting the amount of modification is that doing so allows gaming at conventions using a common language. When a published set of rules is stated for a game in the convention schedule, then a GM can hope to draw some players already familiar with the rules. Of course, conventions are interrupted now. And if you have a regular group or club then it's nice to be able to use a published set of rules rather than having to self publish within the club. Also there are plenty of people online who can share the experience of a published set of rules.

I play mainly solo, so to modify a published ruleset is not a problem to me, in fact, I usually play a system that is a mix of several rules (what I liked most of each).

I would like to play something similar to pulp alley, but changing cards for random events applied to each particular scenario...

Thanks a lot for showing your point of view!!

Yes, I had one solo game of "Pulp Alley" but didn't get on with the cards.

I like the character creation in ".45 Adventures" but wasn't sure how the rules would work for solo gaming. Recently I have been thinking about combining them with the solo-play system of "Blood on the Blade"/"Blood in Space". Hopefully that will work.

I usually play solo, and the system that I use for the enemy AI is basically the same of Blood in Space.

As a sólo player I have seen most solo wargame rules, and IMHO the best system is the "Blood in..." System, it gives a logical behaviour for the enemies.

I have played many typical ww2 games just to test the system (and my homemade mix of rules) and the AI is quite good.