Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:03:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690842
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Never mind The Bill Hooks - rules release in next month's Wargames Illustrated  (Read 16430 times)

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
I was undecided whether to paint my growing collection as historical or do a Captain Blood-esque "make you own noblemen" thing. But these rules kinda swung it for the latter.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
Gave up trying to find a copy in Smiths so oredered from Arcane  :)

Addendum
Fantastic service from Arcane the magazine arrived the next day (today).
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 01:59:58 PM by Black Burt »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
I was undecided whether to paint my growing collection as historical or do a Captain Blood-esque "make you own noblemen" thing. But these rules kinda swung it for the latter.

In the end, mine are mainly local nobility based on various bigwig families from my area, but also with some historical factions - the Howards, and of course, a sizable contingent of Yorkist Plantagenets... It’s fun to mix and match :)

I wish I had thought of that..... I ordered a couple of Vallejo pots from arcane and they were there the next day! Superb service!

Note to self- order paints and mags from Arcane!

I’ve ordered a lot of things from Arcane down the last few years, and I always hold them up as a great example of top notch customer service. The delivery speed is always amazing. Thanks Steve :)

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
'Ello again. First play through and overview video DONE. And loads of fun it was too. On the UTubesl

Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
'Ello again. First play through and overview video DONE. And loads of fun it was too. On the UTubesl

Aww thanks Willy. Vids of "How To's" are a very useful tool sop kudos for posting.

I’ve ordered a lot of things from Arcane down the last few years, and I always hold them up as a great example of top notch customer service. The delivery speed is always amazing. Thanks Steve :)

Me too. I just didn't think of it..... a very duh! moment  lol

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Never Mind The Billhooks-A Review
« Reply #65 on: August 26, 2020, 08:25:23 AM »
I bought a copy of Wargames Illustrated this month.  The reason being Andy Callan’s Never Mind The Billhooks WOTR rules are included as a give-away.
I’m very pleased I did so. 

Never Mind The Billhooks (NMTBH) is an excellent stand alone rule set.  There are many influences at play.  Cards and Army Morale Points remind me of Piquet.  Saving throws that improve with armour have a venerable history.  The whole is seemlessly worked together to produce a fast- moving game.

There’s a review on my blog if NMTBH if it’s of interest to you.  I’ve also made up some stats for Galloglaich and Irish Horse should you want to extend operations to Ireland.

https://youdonotknowthenorth.blogspot.com

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
Re: Never Mind The Billhooks-A Review
« Reply #66 on: August 26, 2020, 09:43:37 AM »
I really like your blog, by the way. I often end up on it as you cover a lot of areas I am interested in.

I will definitely be picking up this issue of the magazine, despite not having any WOTR figures.
My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #67 on: August 26, 2020, 10:33:21 AM »
Thanks Ockius, that's good to hear.

My first consignment of 15mm WOTR figures should arrive today with a bit of luck.  I'm keen to find out just how big they are in terms of mixing and matching.

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
For those interested, I asked Andy a few questions yesterday on the facebook group and got following clarifications:

1) Units that are forced to retreat after failing a morale check will be broken and destroyed if the move takes them off the table. Similarly, any unit that has to follow them will also be gone.

2) At the end of your turn, any unit that is not daunted and has not been activated may rally a "disordered" token WITHOUT HAVING A LEADER ATTACHED (this is actually erroneously written in the cribsheet)

It's nice to get the info straight from the source :D

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
For those interested, I asked Andy a few questions yesterday on the facebook group and got following clarifications:

1) Units that are forced to retreat after failing a morale check will be broken and destroyed if the move takes them off the table. Similarly, any unit that has to follow them will also be gone.

2) At the end of your turn, any unit that is not daunted and has not been activated may rally a "disordered" token WITHOUT HAVING A LEADER ATTACHED (this is actually erroneously written in the cribsheet)

It's nice to get the info straight from the source :D

Can I suggest that we start a Billhooks Rules Questions thread separately (please)? I suspect that more rules questions will be raised and not necessarily on this thread(?). Just an idea  ???

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Or just join the Fb group :)
(I just did :))

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #71 on: August 26, 2020, 06:08:03 PM »
Thanks Ockius, that's good to hear.

My first consignment of 15mm WOTR figures should arrive today with a bit of luck.  I'm keen to find out just how big they are in terms of mixing and matching.

What make are you getting? I haven't looked at WOTR at all, but I have been collecting and now painting a Henrician English army, which still has all the bows and bills. For that era the choice is quite limited, but I have got Khurasan's models which are excellent and seem period accurate.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Or just join the Fb group :)
(I just did :))

Speaking for myself- already done.

But, I was thinking that some people don't use Facebook so might need another avenue if they have any queries ;) :)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #73 on: August 26, 2020, 06:48:38 PM »
QRF 15mm WOTR, my first for this period.

The Khurasan Henrician English look great.  I have both sides for Flodden. My Scots are from the old Steve Shaw Feudal castings range and I think they would fit better with the Khurasan figures than the English I currently have.

I might re-purpose my English for the early rebellions against Henry using Billhooks.  Then I could buy the Khurasan English to face my Scots.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Fair point.
Probably okay to keep it to this thread though. Since the rules discussion is already taking place here :)