Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
May 01, 2024, 12:56:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691532
  • Total Topics: 118400
  • Online Today: 609
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Never mind The Bill Hooks - rules release in next month's Wargames Illustrated  (Read 16497 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Fair point.
Probably okay to keep it to this thread though. Since the rules discussion is already taking place here :)

That's a fair point too :)

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
Re: Never Mind The Billhooks-A Review
« Reply #76 on: August 27, 2020, 10:01:37 AM »
Nice, I looked into QRF for my Henricians as they had quite a good range for that too. I think I may buy their Demi lancers and Border horse, as I am not a fan of Khurasan’s versions (they have disproportionately chunky lances that I can’t reconcile myself to).

My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: Never Mind The Billhooks-A Review
« Reply #77 on: August 27, 2020, 10:26:32 AM »
Do have a look at Scale Creep too they now have the Steve Shaw Feudal Castings WOTR range.  I agree about the Khurasan cavalry not their most inspired work.  The lad in the bonnet and cloak below is a QRF Demilancer next to some Essex miniatures to give you an idea of the size.

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Never Mind the Billhooks hits UK shelves - review
« Reply #78 on: August 28, 2020, 03:34:34 PM »
Issue 393 of Wargames Illustrated has just hit the shelves on the UK high street and included is a free rules supplement from Andy Callan.

They look to be a very nice and sensible set and have been well presented by the magazine. I have posted a quick early appraisal on my blog if this interests anyone. Thank you WI, very good. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2020/08/never-mind-billhooks-free-rules.html

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Never Mind the Billhooks hits UK shelves - review
« Reply #79 on: August 28, 2020, 03:46:16 PM »
Issue 393 of Wargames Illustrated has just hit the shelves on the UK high street and included is a free rules supplement from Andy Callan.

They look to be a very nice and sensible set and have been well presented by the magazine. I have posted a quick early appraisal on my blog if this interests anyone. Thank you WI, very good. LINK

http://battlefieldswarriors.blogspot.com/2020/08/never-mind-billhooks-free-rules.html

Nice concise review. I got my copy yesterday through the post and have another 24 hours of quarantine time before I can read through it so much appreciated.... strange times..... :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Ive also read there's going to be laminated cards and acryclic tokens for this from yourselves but can't see these avaliable?

Are you selling those as of yet or are they to follow later on?

For the goggle inept (me) a link if there up would be handy :)

Thanks.

Steve, not sure you answered this one? I’d be interested in a set of cards, rather than cutting up the supplement. I guess I could scan them all, reprint them and laminate them, but that would be a heck of a palaver. I read somewhere in the rules or the accompanying article, that you and WI would be stocking the, um.. printed ephemera. But I can’t see any sign of these in either your webshop or WI’s. Am I being dim and failing to look somewhere obvious? Or has it been decided not to produce these printed assets after all?
Ta.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
Available here?
https://www.wargamesillustrated.net/wp-content/uploads/2020/08/Cards-Tokens-Cribsheet.pdf

Thanks for reposting the Question Captain.

But rather than just pdfs it was advising actual professional set of tokens and gubbins also due to be provided by Arcane Scenary and avaliable via WI shop.

I think Captain B, and myself have read the same info, which may just be a carry over from when first written at the start of the year before the pandemic and the disruption thats followed delayed release and pbulication.

Could do with an update from Mr Arcane to settle the questin I think.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Yep. Just so.
Thanks for the link LT, but as AdmiralAndy says, the magazine and / or the rules refer to the availability of printed cards etc. Which would be better than printing out the pdf, snipping it up with scissors, and then trying to arrange two bits of snipped up paper back to back and sealing them with a laminator (although that is definitely a step up from dissecting the supplement itself :))
Of course, if it has to be the Blue Peter method, that’s absolutely fine, and I’m sure most people will make do with that.
But there was mention of properly printed cards and tokens to go with the game, and if they’re going to become available at some point soon, then I will hold off with my safety scissors and Copydex ;)

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
Ah, right.  I’ll be interested in the professional set but tbh I rather enjoy making my own cards for most games.

The rules read well, I can see my WotR project getting back on the workbench very very soon.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
I am at present trying the Blue Peter method for cards and tokens but would be interested in a profesionally produces set.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
To be honest, I’ll probably end up making my own cunningly disguised tokens to fit with my terrain, ‘cos I can’t stick a litter of brightly coloured chits on the tabletop. Ruins the look of a wargame for me, although I appreciate I’m in a minority since most people don’t care about that. But a pukka set of the cards would be very useful.

Offline Black Burt

• Scientist
Have thought about using wounded minis to represent Disarray and Daunted. Old Glory and Perry's have ranges so I would use wounded minis for Disarray and dead minis for Daunted. I like the idea but it does mean extra figures to paint and I still have a lot to paint as it is.
PS. I've just thought of a cheaper way, I will use some of the spare plastic Perry weapons on a base to represent discarded weapons for Disarray, they would match the Disarray tokens in the rules as well.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:58:23 AM by Black Burt »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Have thought about using wounded minis to represent Disarray and Daunted. Old Glory and Perry's have ranges so I would use wounded minis for Disarray and dead minis for Daunted. I like the idea but it does mean extra figures to paint and I still have a lot to paint as it is.
PS. I've just thought of a cheaper way, I will use some of the spare plastic Perry weapons on a base to represent discarded weapons for Disarray, they would match the Disarray tokens in the rules as well.

That's my line of thinking too. I have a bit of an aversion to seeing paper counters or plastic markers on the tabletop unless it can be avoided. I'm going to use casualties and the Warbases Custom Casualty Bases as per :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

Yeah, luckily I have already done a few squashed plastic figures (below), which I think will serve for disarray or daunted markers. I might have to make several more, but they're quite good fun to do, and it's good to finally find a use for them :)

These are the 'wavering' markers I made recently for The Pikeman's Lament - I was going with your idea of discarded weapons, but then decided cannonballs were easier  lol

Thinking about it, these will probably do for NMTBH too...

And these are order tokens I made for Iron Cross... Same kind of idea. Spare plastic bits on a little base. Job done.

Fussy, I know, but I just can't stand the visual litter of lots of day-glo plastic chits or printed tokens.
And don't get me started having cards full of information laid alongside every unit on the tabletop. Ugh! Might as well play a boardgame ;)