Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 05:08:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690923
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 670
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Quite a big terrain project (FINISHED! - 3rd October)...  (Read 65514 times)

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Quite a big terrain project (The End Is Nigh!!! - update 20th September)...
« Reply #105 on: September 21, 2009, 05:20:04 PM »
oh yes thats fantastic, excellent

how much did those trees set you back? if you don't mind me asking

oh and where did ye get them  :D

dodge

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #106 on: September 21, 2009, 07:46:36 PM »
Thanks all.
I'm quite looking forward to getting the thing finished myself now!  ;)

How did you manage to bulk out the foliage as my first look gave the impression they wouldnt take that much scatter stuff.

Luckily I already had a couple of packs of 'clump foliage' in the right colours in the cupboard, so I just tore it up and super-glued pieces on where there were obvious gaps  :)

how much did those trees set you back? if you don't mind me asking

oh and where did ye get them  :D

They come from model railway suppliers - you can buy them online. Look for Woodland Scenics 'value packs' of deciduous trees - you get different quantities depending on the size of the trees. About £20 GBP per pack. That's a pack of small and a pack of medium I'm using - so about 40 quid's worth. So round about a pound a pop. Not cheap, but no more expensive than the ubiquitous K+M style bottle brush trees, and (I think) a bit better looking...
I'm going to add a few taller ones as well, but too many tall trees tend to get in the way of moving figures around...  ;)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #107 on: September 21, 2009, 07:55:56 PM »
That is fantastic Richard.  :o  :-*  8)
I know what I'm going to be ogling at BLAM.  (No Malamute, not the barmaids.  ;) )
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2009, 11:25:57 PM »
Thanks all.
I'm quite looking forward to getting the thing finished myself now!  ;)

Luckily I already had a couple of packs of 'clump foliage' in the right colours in the cupboard, so I just tore it up and super-glued pieces on where there were obvious gaps  :)

They come from model railway suppliers - you can buy them online. Look for Woodland Scenics 'value packs' of deciduous trees - you get different quantities depending on the size of the trees. About £20 GBP per pack. That's a pack of small and a pack of medium I'm using - so about 40 quid's worth. So round about a pound a pop. Not cheap, but no more expensive than the ubiquitous K+M style bottle brush trees, and (I think) a bit better looking...
I'm going to add a few taller ones as well, but too many tall trees tend to get in the way of moving figures around...  ;)

I picked some up along with the foliage and for 30 trees and the leafy stuff it came to about £45

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #109 on: September 22, 2009, 08:32:12 AM »
That is fantastic Richard.  :o  :-*  8)
I know what I'm going to be ogling at BLAM.  (No Malamute, not the barmaids.  ;) )

Each to his own ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #110 on: September 22, 2009, 09:36:50 AM »
I know what I'm going to be ogling at BLAM.  (No Malamute, not just the barmaids.  ;) )

Fixed your post. ;)

Offline Hawkeye

• Mastermind
« Reply #111 on: September 22, 2009, 03:42:29 PM »

Amazing board! Absolutely beautiful. I've always shied away from moulded and 'permanent' boards before, but this is great, and makes me realize that with a bit of planning that a moulded board can still be as versatile as a modular one - but much cooler looking!

Great work!
Sono Pazzi Questi Romani

Offline Phil Robinson

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://newsfromthefront-phil.blogspot.com/
« Reply #112 on: September 22, 2009, 06:52:00 PM »
Sits back in awe o_o

Splendid!

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #113 on: September 22, 2009, 07:41:26 PM »
That's an absolutely stunning board!  WOW!  Watching the progress has been great.  I'm sure all the players/onlookers will be drooling over it... you should figure out how to trap the drool and you'd have a running river too!  ;)

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #114 on: September 24, 2009, 04:37:33 AM »
That is absolutely stunning. Well done. Great detail. My concern, if it was mine...will the tree spikes eventually tear up the styrofoam boards? If the do, that would be a horrific shame. Thanks for sharing and congratulations on a fantastic project!!
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!

former user

« Reply #115 on: September 24, 2009, 06:43:22 AM »
splendid, awesome, unbelievable
but I guess You know that Yourself

I love to see the idea of the spiked repositionable trees, since I got a lot of moaning about the destruction of the board when I suggested this myself to others

you should make them really pointy
I wouldn't worry about holes
should the surface get a little bit worn out, I suggest drilling tiny holes and glueing fitting brass tubes into the scenery - when properly covered, only the small hole is visible and you can insert the spike without any damage (or other spiked items apart from trees: flying pose pins, road signs, lanterns, telegraph posts - whatever is tall and has a small base and thus tends to fall over during gaming)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #116 on: September 24, 2009, 11:39:31 PM »
Thanks for the positive comments chaps  :)

The second layer of Realistic Water is curing - looking good but will probably need a third application.

The trees are all ready to be inserted, including a few big boys...

I love to see the idea of the spiked repositionable trees, since I got a lot of moaning about the destruction of the board when I suggested this myself to others

If I was going to jab each tree in roughly the same place hundreds of times, yes, it might get worn out. But I don't expect the usage to be that heavy. In the unlikely event that any area does become too 'holey' I will simply start using a slightly different area - and can easily make good the surface of the 'holed' area with filler and texture compound.

You'd have to make an awful lot of pin-sized holes before seriously affecting the basic structural integrity of a sodding great chunk of high-density styrofoam.  ;)

I've always shied away from moulded and 'permanent' boards before...

Me too   ::)
I finally decided that the aesthetic effect is so far superior to flat boards with laid on terrain elements, that it had to be tried at least...
Yes, storage is going to be a bit of an issue, as clearly the hills and undulations mean the three boards are not going to lay flat on each other.
On the plus side, they have turned out incredibly light, they feel pretty durable, and they require virtually no set up at all - apart from plugging in the trees...

I figure I'll store them face down on a shelf (so they don't gather dust on the surface) one on top of the other, using styrofoam offcuts as chocks to separate the boards and level them out for storage...

At first I thought the boards weren't green enough myself, but on reflection I think they look alright considering this is on the frontier and presumably recently deforested.

Thanks Aaron. I value your reassurance as a North American that it doesn't look too wildly off the mark.  :)

As I say, once you see it with all the trees in situ, I think it will all look a lot more verdant.

Offline garyapsledene

• Bookworm
« Reply #117 on: September 24, 2009, 11:52:39 PM »
The pictures are very nice indeed!
I've been told that I am an all round nice guy, well, that what he said before I shot him

former user

« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2009, 12:45:52 AM »
for storage I could offer an idea:
you have three pieces of the same size
choose the 2 with the lowest profile
the most touchy of the two is your base
measure the elevation above ground of both, add together and add some security space
now cut styrofoam pillars of that height
and arrange them around the lower board
build a sturdy cardboard frame the size of a board, height of both boards + security space
glue the pillars on the inside of the frame to the positions most flat and suitable for both boards
turn the second one upside down and insert into the frame
both boards will be kept apart by the pillars
place the third board on top  (oh, forgot - make the frame a little bit higher so that it keeps the third board in place and its elevation protected)
you can even tie them together with elastic binding and transport them without any danger

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2009, 06:42:41 AM »
I think you should take a bow Captain, your effort is impressively impressive
thank you, well done
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill