Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 02:12:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Quite a big terrain project (FINISHED! - 3rd October)...  (Read 65531 times)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Quite a big terrain project (PAINTED!!! - update 16th September)...
« Reply #60 on: September 16, 2009, 04:40:29 PM »
Wonderful  :-*  :-* I really like the river colour.

Now then, the question is... Which season are you going for  ???

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #61 on: September 16, 2009, 04:44:33 PM »

Now then, the question is... Which season are you going for  ???

lol lol

Well I thought autumn (sorry, Fall) in the New World might be a bit of a cliche, so I think I'm just going to go for greenish trees  ;)

What crops to plant does raise interesting dilemmas though. Cabbages and straw? Wheat and spring grass. Can't really be done all at the same time, can it? (I shall try not to lose sleep over it...  :))

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #62 on: September 16, 2009, 06:04:03 PM »
Is it possible to re-arrange the order of the boards?

Kinda looks like it.  But I'm easily fooled.   o_o

Offline cianty

• Scientist
    • cianty's Tabletop Wargames Blog
« Reply #63 on: September 16, 2009, 06:57:31 PM »
Looking so awesome already! Make me want to get on with my own stuff...

I look forward to seeing some vegetation! :)

Offline Lt. Hazel

• Mastermind
    • The Leutnant´s Diary
« Reply #64 on: September 16, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »
superb lookin board!!!

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #65 on: September 16, 2009, 07:50:50 PM »
lol lol

Well I thought autumn (sorry, Fall) in the New World might be a bit of a cliche, so I think I'm just going to go for greenish trees  ;)

What crops to plant does raise interesting dilemmas though. Cabbages and straw? Wheat and spring grass. Can't really be done all at the same time, can it? (I shall try not to lose sleep over it...  :))

If you don't have some "American" corn (maize) how will the settlers (and raiding Indians) get their moonshine?

Offline Operator5

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Silent Sentinel
    • Rattrap Productions LLC
« Reply #66 on: September 16, 2009, 07:51:52 PM »
I love following a terrain project from inception to finished board. I can't wait to see how this one looks.
Richard A. Johnson
On Facebook: Rattrap on Facebook

Offline Funghy-Fipps

• Mad Scientist
    • Forgotten Dungeons
« Reply #67 on: September 16, 2009, 08:13:11 PM »
Egad, but this has my mind whirring with all manner of depraved scenery possibilities.  Unfortunately I've yet to progress onto modular terrain boards( :'(), but exposure to such blasphemous images provides plenty of food for thought...  I shall certainly look forward to seeing it fully clad (as it were) in due course.

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #68 on: September 16, 2009, 10:28:28 PM »

Corn (maize or blé d’Inde) would indeed be a good choice for a North American field.  ::)
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #69 on: September 17, 2009, 12:12:09 AM »
Is it possible to re-arrange the order of the boards?

Yes Ray - I cunningly planned the river entry and exit points so that boards 1 and 3 can go either way round or indeed together, and the middle board could slot in either side  ;)

Calimero, as a Canadian, I'll take your word on the maize. But cabbages are a lot easier to portray in 28mm  :)
I'm not a fan of the 'cut-up pieces of plastic doormat' approach to cereal fields.
I shall think on it...

Cheers

Richard

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #70 on: September 17, 2009, 08:59:58 AM »
How the crops have just been planted  ;)

cheers

James

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #71 on: September 17, 2009, 09:04:30 AM »
Great stuff Richard
A real inspiration.
Make me want to re-do my own, old scabby, terrain boards.
I have always baulked at building permanent hills on the boards as I always thought it limited their use and made storage harder. But seeing yours has made me rethink. It looks a hundred times better with the inbuilt hills.
Also being a butterfly and flirting between different types of game has also put me off building a dedicated board for one subject. I should really make my mind up and stick to one subject.
How much do you recon it will cost you to build the boards? Must be a couple of hundred quid?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #72 on: September 17, 2009, 08:53:07 PM »
I put together a mock-up with bristles and it seems ok though I need to refine the construction technique and find some thing that looks like corn.  I can take a photo if you're interested.

I would be interested, thanks  :)
Bristles sound more promising than those pesky plastic doormats...

I have always baulked at building permanent hills on the boards as I always thought it limited their use and made storage harder. But seeing yours has made me rethink. It looks a hundred times better with the inbuilt hills.
Also being a butterfly and flirting between different types of game has also put me off building a dedicated board for one subject. I should really make my mind up and stick to one subject.
How much do you recon it will cost you to build the boards? Must be a couple of hundred quid?

Gosh no, Colin. Nowhere near that.

To get the boards to the current state has cost less than £40 GBP.

4 pack of pink styrofoam sheets - B&Q - £20. I'm only using three boards - so more than enough material in the fourth board to cut it up for the hills (although I've only used a bit of it, as I had some old offcuts of blue styrofoam from a previous terrain project).

2 x 1KG tubs of filler also from B&Q - about £4.

Cork bark for cliff bits, I had some already, but I guess to buy a bag of pieces - about a fiver?

Wood glue for sticking the foam - I had some, but say a couple of quid for a small bottle?

Texturing 'compound' = any old sand, any old splosh of matt emulsion, and PVA. Cost: pence, although I did have to splash out on a new 1L bottle of craft PVA - 99p  ;)

Two tall spraycans of matt black paint (Halfords) - £5.99 each.

Matchsticks - 1000 in a bag, 99p, craft store.

Coffee stirrers - free. Help yourself to a fistful next time you're in Starbucks.

Twigs for making logs and stumps - free, from the garden.

Gravel - sifted out of the sand, or used bits and pieces I already had sitting round.

Paint - I used paint I had - I guess a few pence worth? Emulsion thinned and sprayed on mainly. Spraying reduces the amount of paint you need to use by about 75%. Obviously you do need an airgun and a compressor though.

Total:
Foam             20.00
Cork                5.00
Filler                4.00
Primer            12.00
Wood glue        2.00
PVA                1.00
Matchsticks      1.00

Total £45.00 - but like I say, I didn't have to buy the cork, wood glue and so on...

However, now we come to the expensive bit, since I've bought about 25 pounds worth of assorted Woodland Scenics scatter materials and 'scenic cement' (which I suspect is probably just thinned PVA, but we'll see).

I'm also going to use probably half a bottle of 'Realistic Water' on the river - and that's £12 - £18 a bottle depending on where you buy it from.

So in total, to get the boards to a finished state - sans trees - probably around £85.

However, I've also ordered a couple of bulk packs of Woodland Scenics trees, because I want trees that appear to sprout from the ground, rather than wobble about on their bases.
So that's another £45. Yes, it's a lot of money and I could have made my own - but making 50 or so trees would have been a lot of time I probably don't have over the next few weeks.

By the way, although the simple wooden fences do perhaps give it a slightly North American look, I've tried to keep the terrain sufficiently generic that I can use it for other theatres apart from F&IW... Change the buildings, trees and accessories and it'll have quite a different look...

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #73 on: September 18, 2009, 01:47:29 AM »
I put together a mock-up with bristles and it seems ok though I need to refine the construction technique and find some thing that looks like corn.  I can take a photo if you're interested.

Try twist-ties tied together with the ends sticking out like the leaves and a bit of putty for the ears of corn. It looks good if you do it right. I don't have any pictures to show you though. Handed mine off to a friend some time ago.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #74 on: September 18, 2009, 09:08:40 AM »
I suppose small sections of fake chrismas three branches would also work? just shape the tips to look more like leaves (instead of the straight cutoffs) and paint. Add corn here and there with putty. Never tried it, but have been thinking about ways to do it and this is what I came up with.