Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 07:00:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691287
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Napoleonic Tyroleans  (Read 11260 times)

Offline cdm

• Scientist
Napoleonic Tyroleans
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »
I received a huge box of new figures from Eureka today. Out of those I found the Tyroleans figures quite exciting, being a long time Austrian fan and looking for something abit different to make a few extra battalions. I won't say much about their suitability for anything as I am no expert on their costumes or how they may be applicable to other genres. If anyone has ideas for alternate uses I'd be interested in hearing.

The open handed peasants come with 5 weapon choices: pitchfork, scythe, longhandled axe, halberd, spear

The bombard is a small piece. The barrel is made of wood planks with iron bindings. The woman with open hands had nothing supplied to be using.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Re: Napoleonic Tyroleans
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 01:24:18 PM »
Oh, they are nice!  :-*

I have no real interest in the period, but I know good figures when I see them. The priest and the woman loading the musket are lovely little characters.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 01:35:05 PM »
Oh, they are nice!  :-*

I have no real interest in the period, but I know good figures when I see them. The priest and the woman loading the musket are lovely little characters.

I second that. :)
 What delightful figures and who can resist Lederhosen ;)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 02:14:26 PM »
I had no idea these were even in the pipeline! I think I will be able to use most of them as Vendeans also. Fantastic!

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2009, 02:15:48 PM »
They are lovely figures Chronofus, so you have to spill the beans on all the others you had in your package :D were there any Meso Americans or Amazoninas etc? :-*

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 05:05:29 PM »
Great looking miniatures you got there! I have been looking at painting a force led by Andreas Höfer but have found no suitable miniatures. Now they have apparently arrived. Can you tell us how they compare in size with opponents from Foundy or Front Rank?

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 06:08:54 PM »
Eureka are smaller than Front Rank, not sure about Foundry (don't Foundry vary between ranges anyway?). I will try to remember to take a side-by-side shot tonight.

Offline Mad Doc Morris

• Mastermind
  • Olympus speaketh?
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 06:42:16 PM »
Will they be regularly available any time soon?

Had this on my mind for a long time, but couldn't find suitable miniatures. So most recently I've sold my Bavarian Light Infantry...  >:(

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 07:11:13 PM »
I received a huge box of new figures from Eureka today. Out of those I found the Tyroleans figures quite exciting, being a long time Austrian fan and looking for something abit different to make a few extra battalions. I won't say much about their suitability for anything as I am no expert on their costumes or how they may be applicable to other genres. If anyone has ideas for alternate uses I'd be interested in hearing.

Well they are of course great for just about any german style milita force for that perid, not to forget VSF or even Gothinc horror "kill the monster" style games
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 10:07:58 PM »
The kind of miniatures which could pull me into a completely new period. I can just see the young ladies skipping over the hills, letting out war yodels with machete in hand.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 10:55:05 PM »
Mmmmm, yes...  :-*
Some of those are lovely, characterful sculpts.

The woman loading the musket has to be an ancestor of Maria Von Trapp doesn't she?  ;)

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2009, 01:28:47 AM »
My memory was unusually good! As you can see Front Rank are substantially larger. I have decided to use FR and Crusader for my Peninsular follies and Eureka for my Italian interlude. Most people would consent to let them share a table in seperate units though.

The mounted figures (a bit blurry, sorry!).

Infantry. The unpainted FR fellow is crouching a bit, but was one of the more upstanding poses I had handy.

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2009, 02:11:14 AM »
Not being a Naps player, I skim-read the title of this post as "Napoleonic Tyranosaurs", which would have been a whole other category of "cool and strange" different figures indeed!

Nice character-full figures anyway, even if they aren't reptilian!  lol

Offline cdm

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2009, 01:26:36 PM »
They are lovely figures Chronofus, so you have to spill the beans on all the others you had in your package :D were there any Meso Americans or Amazoninas etc? :-*

The rest of the parcel consisted of the full release of the matching Austrian line infantry and the French artillery, plus the frog cavalry. The frogs are now released with resin bodies instead of the initial full metal bodies. That's frogs as in Amphibians, not Frenchies!

There were no new New World figures, though I did order a full set of the Mayans in armour. Of these the warriors with hand axe have been upgraded with a weapon resculpt somewhere through the years since my initial release figures.

Comparison pic I did for another website I no longer visit of various ranges. Except for a few Austrian Grenadiers, there are no Foundry in my collection.

Front Rank Brit, Hinchliffe French, Elite Austrian, Victrix plastic, Victrix metal Sapper, Foundry Austrian Grenadier, Old Glory Austrian artillery, Front Rank Austrian officer, Eureka French - Tyroleans would be the same

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:28:27 PM by cdm »

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2009, 03:45:55 PM »
Were the Tyroleans a 100 club order? I'm on the WFR mailing list and I didn't even know these were in the planning stages. I really should be focusing on my pile of unpainted French and Austrians (not to mention my growing pile of Aventine ancients), but these are really tempting me to stray!

Rob at Eureka USA just emailed to let me know sets are on the way to him.  Oh my poor groaning workbench! :D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 03:52:28 PM by Aaron »