Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:52:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690838
  • Total Topics: 118355
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark Test Drive  (Read 825 times)

Offline Abbner Home

• Scientist
Oathmark Test Drive
« on: August 17, 2020, 08:03:48 PM »
A friend and I played our first game of Oathmark recently. We laid out a couple of 2000pt armies not worrying about developing Kingdoms for now. Forces were a human Fantasy Crusader force primarily consisting of Fireforge plastics and an Orc & Goblin horde made up of 1979 Ral Partha figures (God's Perfect Miniatures).  All figs are from my collection and painted myself.

As I base everything on round bases sized to work for D&D and GW MESBG I cut some movement trays out of gator board using my table saw. Trays will get a magnet sheet top and terrain texture down the line. Having my cav on 40mm rounds created a bit of dilemma so you'll see them 3 models per rank with a couple of casualty markers to get the full 5 figures wide. In points terms we paid for the full 5 per rank obviously.

We found that by and large the rule book is well laid out. On the other hand pointing out the armies and filling out the roster was more work than we were used to having been on rules-light games for a while. Experience and some army building software will solve that.

The activation rolls and alternating activation makes for interesting decision making. One nuance we found was using the Command ability to activate multiple units at once is not always beneficial. It may be better to slow walk activation and see the enemy is up to.  Combat and shooting resolution is simpler than it first appears but still it was jarring to apply several modifiers to the rolls. It's been long since I played a game with a bunch of die modifiers. We soon had the flow and combats resolved quickly. The push back and morale rules allow for interesting results and decision making.

We made several rule mistakes and as it happened they all went in the Crusader's favor. So the orcs we crushed like a bug. As the orc player I enjoyed the game none the less.

My favorite part was that the armies had different and unique feel and the constant decision making holding interest throughout the game. My friend liked return to classic rank and flank.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
Re: Oathmark Test Drive
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 09:28:34 PM »
We found that by and large the rule book is well laid out. On the other hand pointing out the armies and filling out the roster was more work than we were used to having been on rules-light games for a while. Experience and some army building software will solve that.

No stats (yet) but it will point out your armies. Adding spells at the moment

https://deployment.d2fysvnv13ldb6.amplifyapp.com

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 09:30:46 PM »
My favorite part was that the armies had different and unique feel and the constant decision making holding interest throughout the game. My friend liked return to classic rank and flank.

I found that the dice modifiers were pretty easy to remember its one of the things about the game I really liked. I also appreciated the alternating activation. Looks like you had a fun game

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 09:54:56 PM »
Nice set up and write up thanks for sharing :)
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline HistoricalHuscarl

• Lurker
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2020, 12:13:21 AM »
Nvm he beat me to it.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 12:19:03 AM by HistoricalHuscarl »