Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:55:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Marley's Ghost done, now help painting torch and candle flames please  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
Good morning all, For the upcoming holiday season I got the Christmas carol figures from Foundry and Northstar and plan to do a small vignette to display. Ghosts of Christmas Past, Present and yet to come have been fun and quite straightforward to paint but Marley's Ghost is more of a traditional spectre to my mind and was hoping there might be some tips on how to paint him without looking like a very pale person in white clothes :D For a contrast his hands and face I've done in very very pale buff/sand but I was wondering about the rest of him. Any tips on how to paint flames for the torch and candles would be very much appreciated. As always many thanks in advance
JB
« Last Edit: December 12, 2020, 09:43:59 AM by Johnny Boy »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Help to paint a Spectral figure please, Marley's Ghost
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 12:54:17 PM »
I fell in love with Blasphima Blackwood's tutorial.  I ended up repainting all of my ghost figures using the technique. 
https://gardensofhecate.com/blog/miniature/how-to-paint-spectral-entities
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Peithetairos

• Scientist
    • DaggerandBrush
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2020, 10:55:34 AM »
If you want that inner  spectral glow I think it is all about the contrast. Start with a very dark basecoat, a greenish blue and then apply by brush ir airbrush a zenithal highlight of a light verdigris colour. I used AP Toxic Mist  with some white. Now go back in and deepen the shadows with a chromatic black and push the highlights to almost white.

I only got to the basecoat and zenithal stage so far, but the colours may be an inspiration for you.

Hecates tutorial is also great.

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2020, 03:47:37 PM »
Many thanks to you both, much appreciated l just hope I can put it into practice, I get the theory. . . .

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2020, 03:48:57 PM »
...how to paint him without looking like a very pale person in white clothes

Probably no good for you then.   ::)  I painted the set a few years ago.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 03:50:43 PM by Orctrader »

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2020, 06:21:59 PM »
Really nicely painted Orctrader, your Marley's Ghost  with the coloured ledger and chains is something I hadn't thought of. When I started mine it was a very pale etc etc and I was thinking too much of one thing so many thanks for the inspiration and guide for the other characters, they really fit the bill :)

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2020, 03:43:44 AM »
A long while ago, I'd painted a ghost mini in a way that might work. Treat the entire mini like you would fire, invert the normal shading with the brighter colors deeper within to the more normal ones out.

Of course, if you have any experience with casting, you could just replicate the mini in a clear resin and then use inks...

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
Re: Marley's Ghost done, now help painting torch and candle flames please
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 09:55:43 AM »
Thanks again to you all for your input and to you Orctrader, Marley's Ghost all but done and bearing a striking resemblance! I'm struggling tho with flames for the torch of Christmas Present and the candles held by the Scrooge figures. When these are done I've got my Infamy project on the go so painting torches would be really useful there too so any tips would be much appreciated.