Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:09:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Border Reivers - Help me make an up to date list/size comparisons  (Read 8658 times)

Offline Baron von Wreckedoften

• Mad Scientist
Re: 28mm Border Reivers - Help me make an up to date list/size comparisons
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2020, 05:59:36 PM »
I'm not sure how well these will fit, but as nobody else has mentioned them, I believe that Eureka does a range of Early Colonial Portuguese that cover the late-15th to mid-16th Century.

https://www.eurekaminuk.com/collections/colonial-portuguese-16th-century

If nothing else, might be useful for "shabbily dressed" infantry/dismounted types.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 06:01:51 PM by Baron von Wreckedoften »
No plan survives first contact with the dice.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2020, 03:51:44 PM »
I have the Eureka figures too.  They fit in very well with the Foundry Sea Dogs and Swashbucklers range.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2020, 05:07:16 PM »
There are a few GW Estalian miniatures that could pass as reivers, maybe also some Perry ECW such as these:

https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_40_46&products_id=2462&osCsid=u7qtrrs85fbs7dlv4mf5seike2

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2020, 10:20:17 AM »
For my Elizabethan Ireland project I have mixed Hoka Hey, Foundry Swashbucklers and TAG for the English. I have been careful not to mix the Hoka Hey and TAG together as they dont mix but both mix OK with Foundry (which are excellent) link to some images on the blog below.

https://gapagnw.blogspot.com/2019/07/more-elizabethans-off-workbench.html

IMG_20190708_150452 by Roger Castle, on Flickr
+
My blog gapagnw.blogspot.co.uk

Offline Batty Coalhouse

• Student
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 11:39:09 AM »
Loved all the Borders minis in this thread and thought I'd weigh in with a recommendation for Robert Low's two new novels on the Border Wars of Henry VIII.

A Dish of Spurs and sequel Burning the Water are cracking tales of the conflicts and describe forces fighting.

Low is a favourite author, such so that I took a character in these novels as my Nom de plume!

Thanks for sharing!

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 06:50:17 PM »
Batty is a brilliantly concieved character, I love those books.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 07:56:34 PM »
Looking forward to when the two Low books are readily available in US (at this point, they ship from UK, and are a bit pricey for paperbacks).

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 29, 2020, 09:52:35 PM »
Personally I think its some of his best work. I have all his books, the Lion Rampant books have some brilliant characters for me these Batty Coalhouse books are another level.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #23 on: January 23, 2021, 05:43:02 PM »
Is it safe to assume that the Casting Room Elizabethans are similar in height and heft to the Foundry Seadogs?'

https://www.castingroomminiatures.com/collections/collection-2

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: January 23, 2021, 05:46:47 PM »
Is it safe to assume that the Casting Room Elizabethans are similar in height and heft to the Foundry Seadogs?'

https://www.castingroomminiatures.com/collections/collection-2

Yes, many (although not all of them) are Frankenstein creations concocted from adaptations to Mike Owen's original Sea Dogs sculpts, so they should come up at the same size and heft.

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: January 23, 2021, 10:11:23 PM »
Yes, many (although not all of them) are Frankenstein creations concocted from adaptations to Mike Owen's original Sea Dogs sculpts, so they should come up at the same size and heft.
That;s good considering the original line has no command sets and no cavalry. Isn't it? 

Have you also handled the Redoubt Renaissance Irish and Borderers?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 01:19:16 PM by MiniPigs »

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2021, 11:56:18 AM »

No, I haven't. Not aware of those at all TBH.
I do now have the whole set of TAG mounted borderers by Nick Collier though, and they are top notch.

Thats good considering the orogional line has no command sets and no cavalry. Isnt it? 

I'd have said the original Sea Dogs line was full of command figures - there are loads of different officer / character type figures in there.
As they were conceived as swashbuckling Elizabethan sea dogs, the absence of cavalry in the original range seems understandable.

As far as Foundry's one-time practice of lifting sculpts from their back catalogue, and reworking them to provide different variants and entirely 'new' figures, I'm sure this is strictly legal insofar as they bought and paid for the original sculpts from the original artists. Whether it's entirely ethical is a slightly different question. Fairly sure the original sculptors involved would say not, but I suppose it depends on whether you regard sculpting of wargames figures as the output of an artist of sorts, or merely a product which happens to have been made by hand. Which might inform one's view of whether it's okay to take a piece of someone's work (even someone you've paid for that work), and mess about with it / get someone else to add to it. But probably best not to get into that one ;)
Of more importance is whether the end product is up to scratch or not. In the case of Foundry's practice of issuing such cut-and-shut models under the Casting Room Miniatures banner, the results are variable. The range of Zulus freely adapted from Copplestone's Darkest Africa by some lesser hand, are for the most part rather good. The extra packs added to the Sea Dogs range using parts of Mike Owen's original sculpts are, IMHO, a lot more variable. A few of the figures work well. Quite a lot of them just look slightly off to me. I think you can (almost literally in some cases) see the joins. But as ever, you pay your money and take your choice.

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #27 on: January 24, 2021, 01:45:23 PM »
Richard: interesting what you say about Foundry. I'm not aware that they've ever attempted to re-work any of their old Perry ranges, which is interesting. I wonder whether that's for legal reasons?

Offline dallascowboy43

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: January 24, 2021, 03:25:37 PM »
No figures to see but border rieivers was one of the 3 ranges that Flags of War were going to be doing now the jacobites are winding up.

Offline Rogerc

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #29 on: January 24, 2021, 04:03:05 PM »

I bought a few of these and really didnt like them, some of their other Rennaisace are lovely and I pinched a couple to use as demi-lancers, the Irish light hors torso is actually quite nice and the horse is best Irish horse I have seen, the heads are just awful though so I did head swaps for the half dozen I picked up. I will be adding some dark age Irish horse probably from Footsore.