Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 11:44:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691112
  • Total Topics: 118374
  • Online Today: 905
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Great War in Africa Project  (Read 20660 times)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Great War in Africa Project
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2009, 11:35:58 AM »
Pfff...

I should have stated such right up front.  

I want to be as historically accurate as possible, but building two large armies is going to take a long time and in the end I'll need every little lead soldier I have to do it.

Meanwhile... back to work on my next unit of Askaris.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2009, 01:13:45 PM »
Cool, my Minis for EA are still waiting. One Qustion, where can I get this german Shephard????
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2009, 02:24:57 PM »
Ray, that's beautiful units! Even it's not historically acurate, you can always get the Seebattalion included for any Colonial or VSF games. I really look forward to your next units, and for today it's:

"ALLE ACHTUNG!"

:D

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2009, 03:10:16 PM »
Cool, my Minis for EA are still waiting. One Qustion, where can I get this german Shephard????

He is from Ebob's German guard pack.

Also where I got my giant spider.   >:D
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 04:06:10 PM by Ray Rivers »

Offline coggon

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2009, 02:33:44 PM »
Great War in Africa is my next project.  Thanks for the excellent inspiration(and yes Plynikes-I'll probably end up using some of the See battalion troops that I have ;)

What color are those slouch hats?  I can't tell from here whether or not its mostly blue, or mostly gray.

Lastly, can anyone recommend any books for the period?  So far my knowledge is based on viewing "The African Queen"  lol, reading "Mimi and Toutou's Great Adventure" and drooling over Plynikes blog>
"MY enthusiasm greatly exceeds my talent"-Me

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2009, 02:50:35 PM »
Thanks, mate!

I use Vallejo Grey Blue for the Slouch hats and the leggings.

As for books... I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, however, I was able to scarf up a copy of East Africa from Foundry.  I checked Osprey too, but pretty much everything having to do with the period is out of print.  :-[

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2009, 03:42:40 PM »
Coggon, for East Africa the so-called Südwester hat was grey with white tape.

Schutztruppe piping, edging, bands and such on hats was as follows: Blue = German Southwest Africa, White = German East Africa, Red = The Cameroons.

Piping on jackets and trousers was blue in all theatres.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 06:08:26 PM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2009, 05:07:56 PM »
Lovely collection Ray. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline odd duck

• Scientist
« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2009, 06:04:58 PM »
Great looking project!! I've been toying with this area for some time,and I have a few books on the subject though I've not had time to read them all

the Great war in africa(1914-1918) by Byron Farwell-good read an overveiw of all theaters Togoland ,Camarons as well as east africa

Guerilla by Edwin p. Hoyt covers Lettow-Vorbeck

The Germans who never lost by Hoyt also, covers the Konigsburg and her crew

Tanganyikan Guerrilla by Major J.R Sibley Ballantine history ofWWi Lots of photos

They Fought for King and Kaiser by James Ambrose Brown about S. African forces  in East africa
My Reminniscences of East Africa by General Paul Von Lettow-Vorbeck
for uniforms I've only got the osprey book on east africa and a few magazine articles. Hoyt and Farwells books are easy reads i've only skimed over the others ,have heard that Lettow-vorbeck's  book is a dry read though,hope this helps

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: August 12, 2009, 06:20:30 PM »
"Battle for the Bundu" by Miller is another good one.

Regarding using Seebatallion in Africa there is always the option to let them start a little early. WIkipedia tells us: "In 1904-1908 during the Herero and Nama revolt, a formation in battalion strength supported the Schutztruppe in German South West Africa; during 1905-1906 a Seebatallion detachment served in German East Africa during the Maji Maji uprising"

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: August 12, 2009, 08:09:14 PM »
Wow!

Thanks for all the comments and recommendations, gentlemen!

Seems I have my work cut out for me...

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2009, 05:17:08 PM »
Hi Ray
Like your figures.
I would have no problem (and have done) in mixing in some of the Pulp Seebattalion figures into the ranks.
The uniform variation s were massive.
Also Plynkes is probally correct about the Seebatalion not being in East Africa ,or is he ???.
I just reread Millers "Battle of the Bundu" ,(which should be the first book any one buys on the subject)
Miller says  Chapter 5  August 6th  1914 SMS Konigsberg sighted some potential prey  and moved to intercept, it was however actually the North German Lloyd Liner "Zieten"
"Zieten" "was carrying  one Hundred Marines homeward bound on leave  after serving in China."
Captain Loof on Konigsberg had already passed word to all German ships in the area within wireless range that they were at war,and were to proceed to Dar es SalaamZieten had received this and was on its way so its men could join up with Von Lettows force.....
I am fairly sure they did eventually make it,however numerous other German merchant ships were captured cant find much mention of Zeiten again...but found this online...
 The old crew, 100 men under Oberleutnant zur See Gotthold Brocks was, at the same time, at sea enroute to Germany on SS Zeiten, a Nord-Deustscher Lloyd ship that had departed Colombo on 29 July and next made port in Mozambique (Neutral Portuguese Ost Afrika). Somehow the German sailors (and apparently the crew of the British SS City of Winchester as well) got to Mombassa where the German crew “acquired” a two-masted sailing vessel that they sailed to Lindi. From there they made it in small groups by boat or overland to join Fregattenkapitän Max Looff and S.M.S. Königsberg.
However the plot thickens...lol
According to Mark Horan  .."The source of this infamous 100 "see-bataillon/marines" is a language/terminology error. The english speaking author assumed the word "marines" in the RM/USMC sense (and implied to be, though never stated as such, See-bataillon troops), viz the German maening of marine which, of course, mean, sailors. The men were actually the former crew of SMS Planet, enroute home, after having been replaced, in their entirety, by a new crew send from Germany just prior to the war."

Does anyone know 100%   "Sorry"  lol they dont.
Want to use the figures knock your self out, it is toy soldiers after all ,Use them as a Shutzen Company .
 The supply isuses  were so bad ( for both sides ) and the climate so hard that uniforms lasted a matter of weeks ,and both sides often could not tell the differences between each other ,,
Apparantly facial hair on a European meant "shoot the hun"
Brits mostly being shaved...
Hope this helps

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 05:50:08 PM »
Ray,
They are indeed a thing of beauty to behold. ;D

I have often admired Mr Plynkes blog with his wonderful scenarios and beautiful figures and here they are again under your brush. I really like the sculpts, loads of character and your paint jobs do them justice. Top marks :)

If I wasn't so wrapped up in another project at the moment I would be sorely tempted...
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: August 15, 2009, 03:06:11 AM »
Interesting story VonAkers.  Like I say, I know really very little of the conflict, and its quite a while since I have actually done any research for a new army.  The theatre seems very interesting with all sorts of very neat details which appear to set it off from a lot of other wars.  I'm eating it up right now.  Been a long time since I have done that for an historical setting.

Nick, you probably wouldn't be surprised to know that the "Plynkester" and his work have been of great inspiration for me for this project and all things Africa.  For those who are newish to the forums, one really needs to check out both the Prof's and Plynkes blogs and forum threads.  I'd also add Grimm's Hangar.  Lots of really great stuff to enjoy by these gentlemen.

Offline Leapsnbounds

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #29 on: August 15, 2009, 10:03:53 PM »
I expect to be hearing a lot from this outnumbered beaugered force in East Africa in the too distant future.