Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 12:32:34 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690581
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 720
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Weird War Panzerjager: A lesson in Timpo!  (Read 5935 times)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Weird War Panzerjager: A lesson in Timpo!
« on: August 10, 2009, 10:50:07 PM »
More from yours truely:

This all started last year when I was over round at my mate Alan's place in the south east(again!!).

He collects 1:32 scale timpo plastic soldiers and vehicles from the 60's & 70's through to britain's stuff that I can remember playing with as a lad.

I often take a wander with him to the toy fairs to see what diecast stuff's knocking about for wargaming.

He has a massive plastic mountain LOADS of this stuff and as you would expect quite a large bits box....

A couple of german mortar teams that lacked mortars, so armed with my trusty toolkit and plasticard/tube and one genuine one as a reference I scratchbuilt two for him and he was 'made up'.

So as I love a challenge, he showed me a damged bren carrier, (a chunk out of the side, gun missing and no crew)

What can you do with this?

(stock image as I didn't take a pic before work started).

So the gauntlet was thrown down.

I started looking at captured bren carriers/universal carriers and saw that the often became panzerfaust mounted little panzerjagers.

Interesting but a little 'boring' from the perspective of a custom job.

So then I thought about marders and elefants:

And then my mind kinda went into overdrive:

Parts:

plasti-card plain and checkerplate
plasti-rod
plastic tube
turret, vision slits, MG42, jack and pickaxe from a revell armoured train car kit I'd had in my bits box for years.
Stowage from dragon and Gamesworkshop Chimera kit
shells ammo boxes from dragon accessory pack
barrel muzzle (pak) found in a load of old plastic junk I got off ebay years ago.

bluetac (lots of it will explain later! ;)).

Now bearing in mind this was to go with toys from the 60's and 70's I could have left this very plain and underdetailed, but thought screw that...and went for the whole tank wacking, camo'd reasonably detailed monkey you see before you.

Ok then here we go:

First things first, I repaired the missing chunk and added a large sheeting roll. the open section of the carrier at the back was covered over and the turret mounted. The turret is purely for observation, with the gun being mounted lower down in the place where the little bren would have been mounted.

Half the front cabin was then given a roof and the exposed areas checkerplated.

Chains, stowage, packs, sandbags were all added.

The barrel was made from two pieces of plasti-tube, one slightly narrow than the other which slid into place giving the recoil section.

I managed to scratchbuild a gunmount and breach cover and added three shells which looked the perfect size from the dragon kit as were the ammo boxes and crates.

For the rear of the hunter:

i thought about the weight and recoil that this little hunter would carry and suffer, with all that weight at the nose I though to balance it and in keeping with the panzerjager look I  added a simple lower armoured plate that I detailed with two half circle rod pieces and added rivets.

The pick axe and jack from the revell kit and fuel and water cans on the rear and on the turret. Adding a little strap harness with a piece of plasticard.

The rest of the tank had further rivets added and an mg42 added using plasti-rod to make a weapon mount on the turret. Two types of GW turret hatch were located from the bits box as I was in two minds at the time which looked best, (later rhino or early russ/chimera).

Remember that this is in no attempt to be historical, it's not meant to be a bren carrier, its a weird war panzerjager! Enjoy!

More to follow.

The Commander
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
Re: Weird War Panzerjager: A lesson in Timpo!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 11:01:37 PM »
Most certainly an improvement!  :)
Looking forward to see it finished  8)
per aspera ad astra

Offline Bako

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Loopy as a clock-work orange.
    • Hitting Dirtside
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 12:12:44 AM »
Looks interesting indeed, but the cannon's size in relation to it's mount is not good. Doesn't look like it could support the weight of the cannon.
Everything is better with lizardmen.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 08:03:47 AM »
Looks interesting indeed, but the cannon's size in relation to it's mount is not good. Doesn't look like it could support the weight of the cannon.

I don't care!    lol

Seriously it's not an issue just a bit of fun, agreed that it's got a weight issue and I suppose I could have shortened the barrel but didn't really register till it was in paint.

I might make a tripod support for it and take it over when I next see my mate. See how it looks.

Though the exaggerated barrel would look good poking out of cover to take out that last sherman, you know the one...with the fuel leak that they can't get fixed, always at the back of the pack.... the straggler.

KABOOM!!!!!

;)

The Commander
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:22:49 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Heresy

• Librarian
    • www.heresybrush.com
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 06:09:29 PM »
Interesting proyect!

Nice customization, I hope see more :D

www.heresybrush.com

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 09:38:23 PM »
Ok so with the main converting bits done off to the paint shop for it's undercoat.

Although on the way to the paintshop, I was able to have a rummage through yet another bits box of random tat and found the end of a pak cannon, which just about fitted the main barrel with a bit of a sand and a cut down:

Again this is a fun piece not aiming to be historically accurate, but I think that the additional bit just finishes off the barrel a treat.

It also meant that I didn't have to canabalise a nice modern marder kit I've got laying around for gun bits! :D

Also added some tileplate plasticard to the front of the tank as zimmeritt/ablative armour pieces and to add a little more texture to the front: (again don't give a monkey's if it's accurate or not... it's the idea that's important.

Inside: (i was able to add more detail to the back of the gun, the breech and collar ring can you see more clearly now).

Next time: The wonderful world of blu-tac!

The Commander

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 10:21:42 PM »
Very good.

How did you make the turret?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:08:52 PM »

Parts:

Turret, vision slits, MG42, jack and pickaxe from a revell armoured train car kit I'd had in my bits box for years.

Bought two of these armoured train car revell kits at least 7 years ago, great for making bunkers and fortifications, the turrets are from that kit.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 08:54:25 AM »
Bought two of these armoured train car revell kits at least 7 years ago, great for making bunkers and fortifications, the turrets are from that kit.

What scale were the kits and would they be of use with 28mm?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 09:52:52 PM »
I picked up one of those years ago for about £2 in a sale. What a bargain. It's 1/35th and has loads of bits, not least the turret.

I have the body of the railcar earmarked as the superstructure on an ACW Ironclad at 25mm scale. Another project still on the back burner!

Yup, that's them, from one of those bargain bookshop shops like 'the works'. Made a bunker for 40k at the time, (scratch built a heavy bolter turret to go on top), going to use the bottom piece as a fortification and even the earthworks where the tracks went will be used to make a trench section. Great little kits, I suspect long gone though. I'll stick up some pics when I get chance to raid the bits box again.

Anyway....

Blue-tac!!?!?!?!

Well I saw on the WIP forum a nice airbrush camo effect using would you believe, sausages of blue-tac stuck all over the vehicle, then the top coat sprayed over.

The effect is a rounded edged almost airbrushed camo look, (the base grey being the stripe, the light tan being the base colour, straight after spraying no highlights or washes at this stage:

Blu-tac came off clean, I think the camo came out very well.

Next: washes.powders and stowage.

Offline postal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 11:48:08 AM »
very nice

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 12:33:05 PM »
Looks great  :)

He collects 1:32 scale timpo plastic soldiers and vehicles...

Why?  Just curious.  I like to hear what others collect and what their motivation is.  Any value is that sort of thing?

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 03:41:58 PM »
Looks great  :)

Why?  Just curious.  I like to hear what others collect and what their motivation is.  Any value is that sort of thing?

Like most of us, stuff he had as a kid that now as a grow'd up he can afford to get all the really snazzy things he couldn't get when he was a kid.

There's always a value in something collectable mate, he's got a sizeable collection and a massive display room including gettesburg with about 300+ each side!  :o

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 03:50:39 PM »
That's a cracking scratch build / conversion

great idea and brilliant vision,

I don't give a toss if it may not be accurate either ,  :-*

Offline Pappa Midnight

• Mastermind
  • Web-Fu 10th Dan Blackbelt
    • Pappa Midnight Presents Displaced Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2009, 04:32:59 PM »
Really cool scratchbuild :o 8) :o

Nice tip about the blue-tac........ might have to give that a whirl!

Regards
PM
I don't want to achieve immortality through my work; I want to achieve immortality through not dying.