Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:00:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Review: Zombie Hunters by West Wind  (Read 2777 times)

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
Review: Zombie Hunters by West Wind
« on: August 11, 2009, 09:43:55 AM »
I'd hoped to get one more new review up before leaving for GenCon, but alas it was not to be. Instead I present a blast from the past, the very first review I wrote when I started my blog in January. The photography is a bit dire, but I think the writing still holds up fairly well, and they remain some of my favorite zombie hunters. I hope you enjoy it.

http://thescreamingalpha.com/2009/01/05/review-zombie-hunters-from-westwind/
Check out The Screaming Alpha http://thescreamingalpha.com for the best in miniature and RPG reviews, guaranteed! [Not a guarantee]

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
Re: Review: Zombie Hunters by West Wind
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 10:06:24 AM »
I'd hoped to get one more new review up before leaving for GenCon, but alas it was not to be. Instead I present a blast from the past, the very first review I wrote when I started my blog in January. The photography is a bit dire, but I think the writing still holds up fairly well, and they remain some of my favorite zombie hunters. I hope you enjoy it.

http://thescreamingalpha.com/2009/01/05/review-zombie-hunters-from-westwind/

Had a look at your review, the guy with the shotgun and pistol I've always had down as either working out or as some form of martial artist, (the 'slacks' you refer too are a very similar cut to training duds and that gathered waiste band is a definate give away as this is not 1920's chicago and zoot suits are out! ;)).

The girl is a very poor sculpt and the baseball guy's face does suffer from a bit of mould shrink towards the bat, nothing at a bit of gs won't solve.

Also it wouldn't hurt for you to personalise this a little more and rather than refer to 'the sculptor' this and the sculptor that. All the info's there on the website, a little bit of research and stating that 'Andy's done a nice job of x' (Andy Cooper is Mr Westwind along with his lovely wife wendy) who make me feel like you were 'engaging with the medium'  :D.

Sorry you'll probably continue to think I'm down on you on this but I'm not, just want you to raise the bar.

Maybe our US cousins are genuinely behind the times when it comes to minis from over the pond, if so then you're doing a good job with back catalogue.

So what's next then?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 10:42:15 AM by Commander Vyper »
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Hauptgefreiter

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 10:35:28 AM »
All the info's there on the website, a little bit of research and stating that 'Andy's done a nice job of x' (Andy Chambers is Mr Westwind along with his lovely wife wendy) who make me feel like you were 'engaging with the medium'  :D.

???
Surely you mean Andy Cooper, or am I mistaken?
I thought Andy Chambers to be one of the masters of the Evil Empire in the past...  ;)
per aspera ad astra

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 10:42:44 AM »
Surely you mean Andy Cooper, or am I mistaken?

Got my Andy's mixed up there's ironic!  

Slip of the GW tongue there ;)

Silly arse me I think! Thanks for pointing it out, corrected now.

Cheers

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 12:16:30 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline Curryman

• Librarian
    • The Screaming Alpha
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 10:44:32 AM »
Had a look at your review, the guy with the shotgun and pistol I've always had down as either working out or as some form of martial artist, (the 'slacks' you refer too are a very similar cut to training duds and that gathered waiste band is a definate give away as this is not 1920's chicago and zoot suits are out! ;)).

You could well be right, but I've never seen trainer-style pants with a buckled belt before. I always figured that his shirt just got torn off in some crisis or another.

The girl is a very poor sculpt and the baseball guy's face does suffer from a bit of mould shrink towards the bat, nothing at a bit of gs won't solve.

Also it wouldn't hurt for you to personalise this a little more and rather than refer to 'the sculptor' this and the sculptor that. All the info's there on the website, a little bit of research and stating that 'Andy's done a nice job of x' (Andy Chambers is Mr Westwind along with his lovely wife wendy) who make me feel like you were 'engaging with the medium'  :D.

I certainly do enjoy having facts like that, and try to include them whenever possible. In this case, however, I didn't see any mention of Mr. Chambers' (or Mr. Cooper's, evidently) name anywhere on the West Wind site, and I still don't. Maybe his involvement with West Wind is common knowledge in the UK, but I personally wasn't aware of it. Makes sense, though, since the company has a lot of nice minis.

Sorry you'll probably continue to think I'm down on you on this but I'm not, just want you to raise the bar.
I can't imagine why I might think you're down on me, since you constantly complain about and belittle my work. It's your privilege, of course. Everybody's entitled to their opinion.

So what's next then?
Massive stacks of GenCon coverage.

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 10:58:41 AM »

I can't imagine why I might think you're down on me, since you constantly complain about and belittle my work. It's your privilege, of course. Everybody's entitled to their opinion.

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

i)  Constantly??? Erm no.
ii)  No one's belittled your work do be so thin skinned.
iii) You post up you get comments, don't want opinions or suggestions or dialogue, don't post...... simples  :?

Anyway...

All I ever do is try to push you to seek out good reviews of stuff that everyone will go WOW!

Really looking forward to Gencon coverage,

but lose the chip on your shoulder bud it really isn't called for or necessary.  ::)

Good luck

The Commander

Oh and feel free to comment on ANY of my threads as everyone else has.....we all should welcome constructive critisim.

« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 01:43:27 PM by Commander Vyper »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 05:12:31 PM »
iii) You post up you get comments, don't want opinions or suggestions or dialogue, don't post...... simples  :?

erm... yep... you're giving your opinions on other peoples work, you need to expect other peoples opinions on yours...

Offline kidterminal

• Mastermind
  • A rising star in the hierarchy of Hell.
    • Fends in Waistcoats
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 05:02:12 AM »
Hello Gentlemen
I thought I’d take a moment here to interject my thoughts on the makings of a good miniature review. I’ve read many Curryman reviews in the past few months and on the whole I’ve found them to be very helpful.

Yes Commander this is exactly the sort of thing I like to see in a miniatures review. Along with unusual height, stockeness, and weapon hand options. Also whether a model needs pining or not. Curryman usually adds these details. Thought more comments on the sculpting quality from him would be nice.

Also it wouldn't hurt for you to personalise this a little more and rather than refer to 'the sculptor' this and the sculptor that. All the info's there on the website, a little bit of research and stating that 'Andy's done a nice job of x' (Andy Cooper is Mr Westwind along with his lovely wife wendy) who make me feel like you were 'engaging with the medium'  :D.
This sort of information is nice to have, but its not so important to me.

And I think the Commander doesn’t mean for his criticisms to be a put down that’s why he uses so many emoticons.

Rob

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 01:25:14 PM »
Lads, we don't want to make a big deal about it. Please let it be.