Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 02:22:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Look for a small T-Square or L-Square (I think)  (Read 1585 times)

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Look for a small T-Square or L-Square (I think)
« on: August 17, 2020, 12:08:24 AM »
Odd one this  :D

I'm trying to cut out paper figures into rectangles about 6cm by 3cm and would like the edges to have 90º angles but I cannot find a guide to do this.  Currently, my plan is to use a set-square to mark up the cuts and a 6 inch metal ruler (with cork backing) to cut against.

My guillotine is both a bit dusty / rusty and way too large (its for photo mounts) and the smaller ones are either very naff or very expensive or both. I've tried scissors but not been happy with the results so far (well my wife's dress making one are fine but that are off-limits when I asked due to them going blunt on the paper).

I have a basic set square / protractor pack (in plastic like this):

that I use mark a line or dot and cut to but really want a LIGHT WEIGHT version of:

where the 'blade' is flat on the edge and they are a lot lighter and smaller than the classic flat 'L-Square' rulers:

I've tried the obvious (Amazon / eBay) and a couple of hobby shops on-line but so far no luck - many metal 6 inch rulers or 6 x 12 inch legs on the L-square but no 6x6.

I have thought about making one out of thick plasticard as this would be easier than the current marking up, and I thought about getting an MDF one laser cut (or using a hole in a large sabot base) but thought there may be a better tool in the UK.

At most each 'leg' needs to be about 6 inches (15cm) to fit in the messy desk area and make it easier to handle.

Anyone any ideas?

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: Look for a small T-Square or L-Square (I think)
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2020, 12:31:21 AM »
I have a 3" x 4" X-Acto square ruler that I live by. 

Next size up that I'm aware of is 6" x 12": these are usually available in art stores.

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2020, 12:52:30 AM »
Try Micro Mark they have a small square that is made for card/paper stock I use it lots.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2020, 03:53:37 AM »
Brilliant - I'll have a hunt in the morning as a quick search gave me a 4m by 3m gazebo and a dry air fryer...

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2020, 08:43:04 AM »
Looks like the x-acto one is no longer made / sold as it's not in their catalogue any more and the part number shows OOS everywhere.

I've found a similar one from the USA at £14 plus lots for delivery and so far the MicroMark one has only shown up in the USA.

I did track another make down in the U.K. but delivery is expected beginning of October!

I've found lots of 6 x 12 - a bit big but may have to be the fall back if a plastic template fails.

So far it's a  :'(

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2020, 09:37:58 AM »
I have a metal 50mm x 75mm flat square, although I'm not sure it's still available either :(

It's by a company called Format and has an "art. nr" (article number?) of 4603 0075 and is described s "DIN 875/II" (I'm not sure what any of those numbers mean ???) I think I got it from Squires Models in the UK, but I don't see it in their catalogue

Offline westwaller

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2020, 01:40:06 PM »
Have you tried cornwallmodelboats.co.uk?
They might have something.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2020, 06:24:47 PM »
Looks like the x-acto one is no longer made / sold as it's not in their catalogue any more and the part number shows OOS everywhere.

Huh, it does appear to have gone away.

There is another 3" x 4" that I spotted by Alvin which is readily available through a variety of US retailers, perhaps can be found in the UK too.

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2020, 10:18:07 PM »
Have you tried the hardware department in Boyes?
They often have an eclectic mix of stuff.

If you blunt your wife's dressmaking shears I suggest you bring her (and them) up to Scarborough one day - Glynis has about a dozen sets of dressmaking shears, and they go to a little ironmongery store for sharpening once a year.

https://www.ghughsandson.co.uk/
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline S J Donovan

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2020, 12:23:20 AM »
I have heard of Cornwall model ships even in the US try this page
https://www.cornwallmodelboats.co.uk/acatalog/Modelcraft-Engineers-Squares.html

Offline dampfpanzerwagon

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2020, 07:03:37 PM »

You should be able to pick up a metal square from Flying Tiger. I bought my metal triangle about a year ago.

NOTE;
Flying Tiger is based in the UK.....

See;
https://uk.flyingtiger.com/en-GB/new_in_store

Good luck.

Tony

Online zemjw

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • My blog
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2020, 07:17:00 PM »
Have you thought about making one out of lego? I'm sure they do short height bricks, but even the full height ones wouldn't be too bad. 5 blocks gets you one 47mm x 63mm

Online snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2020, 10:51:08 PM »
If you have a compass you can find rights on a blank sheet.
https://www.mathopenref.com/constangle90.html
I did find a l square in Hobbycraft at one point but they seem to be hit or miss with what useful items they carry. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2020, 05:02:05 AM »
Thanks for the ideas - I've ended up using a table in Word to define a fixed sized box and cut that out though Word has a habit of resizing cells despite setting them as fixed!

Not the best solution as pasting a selection from the PDF can drop the quality significantly so it's a bit of a battle (sorry) and long job - it may have been easier to buy figures and paint them...

As for the invite to Scarborough - I know the town well and it's great to visit now the park and ride is easy to get to from the south.  Not so hot if you get stuck in the traffic on the bus on Armed Forces Day for an hour and a half!  When things are a bit more normal I'll come up and have a chip butty with you.