Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:42:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: War of the Sundered Realms - A fantasy wargame of mass battles  (Read 2417 times)

Offline jon_1066

• Mad Scientist
Re: War of the Sundered Realms - A fantasy wargame of mass battles
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2020, 02:09:19 PM »
I just meant to withdraw from the combat not an ongoing rout

eg A unit of dwarves charges a unit of goblins.  The goblins fail their morale check at the end of combat and take extra casualties then have to withdraw (say 4").  The dwarves then stay put.  The goblin line has been broken without destroying the unit.

If the goblins had passed their morale check then they would stay put and the charging dwarf unit has to withdraw (as the attacker)

If both fail then both withdraw.  Next turn they both get to activate again as normal.

It just gives you more possible results from a combat.

Do you find neither side wants to move into charge range due to the penalty of being charged without being able to fight back?  That is an unusual mechanic as most rule sets allow both melee sides to inflict damage.  Just wondering what your reasons were for having the rules like that?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 02:54:28 PM by jon_1066 »

Offline Polkovnik

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2020, 02:23:24 PM »

Do you find neither side wants to move into charge range due to the penalty of being charged without being able to fight back?  That is an unusual mechanic as most rule sets allow both melee sides to inflict damage. 

This is something else that I picked up on from reading the rules. No side will want to be the first one to move into charge range, so a stalemate could result.

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2020, 03:16:15 PM »
I come from mainly playing King Of War (2nd Ed was the last time I played that though) for large scale games and with that one side fights while the other does nothing - literally the attacking side does all the rolling.  This was one of things that I wasn't keen on as I like interacting with the other player which is what lead to the system I have now.
So to answer the question, no we've never had a stalemate.  You might send a strong unit up the middle which can take a bit of flak while get your faster units either up the flanks or, if you have them, flying over the top while you archers/artillery soften up the front units.  Or you might send up a 'soft' unit up first so the opponent has to either deal with them, allowing you more elite units to jump on them, or hold back but even a 'soft' unit can cause damage and force a morale test. 
« Last Edit: August 18, 2020, 03:18:22 PM by Giger »

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2020, 04:35:24 PM »
As it was asked for I've filmed a quick overview video of how to play War of The Sundered Realms.  This is my first time doing anything like this so please be merciful ;)