Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:33:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686661
  • Total Topics: 118119
  • Online Today: 815
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 125412 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Re: CoC - Western Front - Cromwells, Firefly and a few troops!
« Reply #435 on: March 17, 2021, 04:07:50 PM »
Great looking armour  :-*
Makes me want to dig into my ever growing pile of unbuilt Rubicon kits, and add some more AFVs to my Western Desert collection.

Shahb......huge part of the game for me.   You want to believe you are there.....immerse yourself in the game and try and use the terrain / features as indeed you should.  I always remember other peoples games when they have put the effort into their setting.....I am just trying to carry on the courtesy.

Amen brother :)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #436 on: March 17, 2021, 04:44:30 PM »
Cracking Job on the AVF's the table is looking good too :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #437 on: March 17, 2021, 06:51:41 PM »
Cheers guys.

Shahb......huge part of the game for me.   You want to believe you are there.....immerse yourself in the game and try and use the terrain / features as indeed you should.  I always remember other peoples games when they have put the effort into their setting.....I am just trying to carry on the courtesy.

Good stuff. Totally agree with your approach. It doesn't take much to make the scene just a little bit more believable. Little things like scatter terrain, using the same flock on different pieces, tarting up MDF buildings to make them more 3d, having convincing roads, trees and bushes... etc.  I suspect the most obvious thing is to actually look at reality and think about what might be reproducible.

Probably the one thing we are all guilty of, is not making things dirty enough :)  I suspect I should take my airbrush and mist 'dark earth' or similar over absolutely everything.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #438 on: March 17, 2021, 09:16:32 PM »
Yup, I think most like me would be scared of overdoing it!  I like a gritty looking troop to start with, I worry I’d ruin it trying to add more dirt!

As for scenery, I just tend to dust the bottoms of buildings and try to keep the same colours on dirt / ground on all my bases and scatter scenery......works for me anyway.

Anyway, a lot of it as you can see is Last Valley, so I can’t take credit for that!

Offline DeltaBlue

• Bookworm
  • wait who planted the claymore?!?
« Reply #439 on: March 18, 2021, 08:29:44 AM »
Hi Deltablue - the Jeep and crew are Westwind. They are slightly smaller than the Perry plastic GI I have, but it's not noticeable when they are in the jeep.  I think they are very convincing as a crew.

Digits the British armour has come out lovely. Nice job, very appealing set of pictures. I do like to see stuff like this, it's clearly practical and achievable yet sets a really high standard for immersion in the game. I'm pretty sure that's the same mat I have, so all I need to do is work on my other terrain :)

thank you sir
GM (me) - you spot a 70 year old grey hair little old lady.. Clutching large leather bound book and a uzi.

“Tom”- “She has a Book!!!”

“Danny”- “I put a bust of M4 fire between her eyes” rolls…

Phil- “if he misses I put a shotgun slug in her face” 

That’s the Delta green baby"

Offline Eclaireur

• Scientist
« Reply #440 on: March 18, 2021, 02:21:23 PM »
Fab stuff as always Digits  :) !
Tell the mate who did the tanks for you that the blue squadron markings (distinctive of a junior regiment in the armoured brigade) belong with the number 53 on the red square Arm of Service marking. Or alternatively red squadron marking (triangle in this case) goes with 51 on the red square.
EC
more info in this excellent guide
https://tank-markings.blogspot.com
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 02:28:50 PM by Eclaireur »

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #441 on: March 18, 2021, 03:39:21 PM »
Cheers fella.

I don’t think I wii point that out to him though thanks, I’m happy with them and would not wish to upset him! 😉

I’m a gamer anyway, I don’t even put unit markings or insignia on my soldiers and it doesn’t effect my dice rolling! 😁

Offline PrivateBuzz

• Assistant
  • Too Fat Lardies fan.
« Reply #442 on: March 18, 2021, 04:30:12 PM »
From the blog quoted above.

The position, orientation, style and size of these markings varied between units, but generally would appear on either side of the turret or hull. Armoured Car and Armoured Recce regiments tended to display them on the front and rear of the hull, while Churchill tank units often displayed them on the turret rear.

I rest my case.
All the best!

Jamie.

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #443 on: March 18, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »
Cheers fella.

I don’t think I wii point that out to him though thanks, I’m happy with them and would not wish to upset him! 😉

I’m a gamer anyway, I don’t even put unit markings or insignia on my soldiers and it doesn’t effect my dice rolling! 😁
No insignia may not effect your soldiers but it is a well known wargamer myth that a new painted unit will die first time out.
Good Luck with your new stuff lol lol lol

Offline PrivateBuzz

• Assistant
  • Too Fat Lardies fan.
« Reply #444 on: March 18, 2021, 04:47:00 PM »
More.

Arm of Service flashes were also displayed front and rear on most vehicles, usually on the opposite side to the formation badge, although some units combined the formation badge and AoS flash into a single marking. Like the formation badge, these markings were officially supposed to be 9" square, but the size varied depending on the type of vehicle and the space available.

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #445 on: March 18, 2021, 05:37:21 PM »
No insignia may not effect your soldiers but it is a well known wargamer myth that a new painted unit will die first time out.
Good Luck with your new stuff lol lol lol

It’s ok...we will BOTH be using newly painted models!

Jamie, thanks for clarification fella!

Offline PrivateBuzz

• Assistant
  • Too Fat Lardies fan.
« Reply #446 on: March 18, 2021, 05:38:39 PM »
Apologies for not fully developing my answer, but both of the last replies were in the rest periods between intervals whilst sat riding the bike on the turbo trainer. 1hour 20mins with a normalised power of 231w tends to be quite limiting to your ability to write (and breathe!).

So, to be precise, the AoS markings were on the front and rear of the vehicles, the tactical markings are on the turret sides (sometimes rear if you were in a Churchill so the infantry could see it more easily). However, the tactical markings were sometimes on the sides of the tank. Shermans had them on the appliqué side armour or just under the turret centreline. Some, very small markings, were put on the toolboxes on the side of the Cromwells.

Occasionally these tactical markings had a number inside them also that referred to the squadron position (like the shape did).

So my positioning is accurate. Where my markings deviate from accuracy is that the 7th Army insignia is for early war (North Africa) and not late war. It's a red on white/white on red thing.

If you were also going to be really pedantic the service numbers do not correspond to the correct tank.

However the insignia and service numbers were on the decal sheet so that was what I went with as life is too short to make custom markings for wargaming.

I went with the junior regiment colour of blue for the tactical markings as I liked the colour better than the others. So judge me on that too.

All of the above can be gleaned from the above quoted blog and from a quick Google image search of images from the IWM.

Right, I am getting cold after the training session and need to drink, refuel and shower.

has.been pointed out a few posts earlier that I can be persuaded to commission paint. Contact me if you are interested, I will discuss the markings and their location with you beforehand ;)

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - the problem with MG teams!
« Reply #447 on: March 19, 2021, 10:26:47 AM »
I can thoroughly recommend his paintwork!

Ok, so changing the subject.

I am increasingly frustrated that every platoon I start to build, I am ALWAYS limited by the availability of an adequate number and variety of MG teams.

Certainly true of the Germans anyway but fair to say sections are based around their machine guns, and in for example a panzer grenadier section, there are often two teams.

At six teams per platoon, I want variety!  I may not be anal about unit markings but I do subscribe to the rule of cool, and where possible, I try to ensure that no tow figures are identical.  It’s not always possible as I’m finding with my Crusader Miniatures British rifles for example), but because of the way I choose to base my teams (including Bren teams), I like to think of them as mini vignettes.  My eye is typically drawn to multiple figure based teams, more so that individually based figures, so I want to see variety and interest.

Anyway, reason for rant.....chatting over how to represent my Panzer Lehr, I have an even bigger issue than normal!

For whatever reason (but I hate it when manufacturers stop mid release!) Artizan who are the only guys here in UK  who made Lehr minis that I can see, only released about 16/17 Lehr minis with only one mg team!

I should have decided not to do them.....the pain and anguish is too much for my slight ocd!

Anyway, pressing on, I realised the Warlord metal Volksgrenadier squad, in a short tunic (admittedly different cut) were not too dissimilar and that by adding them I can cover all the riflemen of the platoon and gain another mg team. 

A look on the plastic grenadier sprue and one chap is also in short tunic so turned him into a gunner.  Another in zeltbahn could easily disguise the fact he has wrong tunic on and one in completely wrong tunic, I have plastered in about as much clutter to disguise the hem as is possible!   I am still two teams light though!  Not sure what to do about them yet, but it really is annoying!

Anyway, not painting them yet, but left to right:  Warlord plastic with Artizan Lehr,  Artizan Lehr team, Warlord Volksgrenadier team, Warlord plastic grenadier team.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #448 on: March 19, 2021, 11:03:50 AM »
Not sure if they do Panzer Lehr but 1st Corps do several variations in their MG teams both British and German so could mix in?
Caliver do a small range of Panzer grenadiers and Waffen SS you might not be aware of:
http://www.miniaturefigurines.co.uk/Catalogue.aspx?ScaleID=15&CategoryID=87&SubCategoryID=371 
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Online Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #449 on: March 19, 2021, 11:49:18 AM »
Link doesn’t do owt fir me James, sorry.

1st Corps, I like, but don’t mix well.

I thought of using late war Germans in smocks...Artizan.   Problem is, I’ve never seen pics of Lehr in smocks.....I will probably just use more plastic grenadiers.