Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 06:25:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 127451 times)

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
Re: CoC - Western Front - Panzer II!
« Reply #705 on: August 07, 2021, 06:44:02 PM »
Cracking job on those

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #706 on: August 07, 2021, 07:21:39 PM »
Cheers guys, I will pass on the comments!

So, today’s battle.

Somewhere in France, US glider troops have been given the mission to seize the bridge.  Attacking from the North, defences unknown, but not believed too heavy.

The two main features of this battlefield being the Marshy area, inaccessible to vehicles and heavy going for infantry and a large band of light orchard.  Main thing here is the orchard affords light cover and visibility within is limited to 18” (6” if firing from without).

US forces had rolled and started with I think 9 support points after adjusting the force rating to include a 60mm mortar over and above a regular infantry section.  The Germans (regular grenadiers) got half of this, plus being two points light on force, meant they started with 6 points.

Force morale for the US 8 ( must have been worried) and the Germans 11 (feeling giddy and secure in the knowledge they were the master race!)

When all the jump off points had been established, the two hedge lines encompassing the orchard held the majority, with one in my bottom left and one on the objective.

The US immediately deployed forward of their jump off points safe in the knowledge they could not be seen at range, and proceeded to move rapidly across the orchard, knowing their artillery barrage was keeping the Germans down in their foxholes.  Indeed for the first phases, I was unable to bring anything on, and I began to think they would overrun my two hedge row jump off points before I could get anything on the table.

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 07:25:37 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #707 on: August 07, 2021, 07:58:17 PM »
And then, I had a stroke of luck.  Rolling three sixes, the turn ended and the barrage lifted.  Because I retained the dice, I rolled again and a near perfect set of dice allowed me to deploy all three of my sections, my leader (he may have come out the next phase…I’m struggling to remember) and my only real support choice (having opted for a pair of entrenchments), a tripod MG42.  I was initially going to hold a section back to deploy near the bridge, however, thinking I had an opportunity to dish out a lot of firepower on these encroaching sections, I deployed them all along the lower orchard hedge line.  Luckily for me, I had a section on each side of the road within 18 inches…and let rip.

The weight of fire inflicted 6 kills, 7 shock and injured a section leader rendering him temporarily ineffective.  This bloody nose stopped the Americans in their tracks and all three sections pulled back out of sight managing to inflict a pair of kills on the tripod mg team first, allowing their second leader to catch up with them to help steady their nerves.

They brought a 60 mm mortar onto the field but needed to despatch a scouting pair forward in order to act as eyes for the mortar.  Unable to initially deal with the scouts, I then suffered a few hits from the well spotted mortar and started picking up a little shock. 

The Americans moved a section to my left, crossing the road but this afforded my overwatching section to spot it and inflicted a few more casualties before moving a squad and my leader left to help counter the building threat on the left.

Deploying a smoke grenade the left most US section started coming forward but I was able to pin them and I sent the spotters running.  Getting a wound on their senior leader helped but their morale was dropping.   Eventually I broke this lead section, then immediately played my CoC dice to end the turn.  Rolls on Bad things Happen then dropped their morale to zero giving me the win.

This could have gone either way though…I was lucky seeing as another phase or two under the pre game barrage would have lost me the two forward jump off points.  Getting a turn end and perfect deployment dice was a fluke and without it, I very much doubt I would have prevailed.    We will replay this one so I imagine a different result will come.

Cheers Jamie, good day and great sport.  Loved the table mate. 

« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 10:53:38 PM by Digits »

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #708 on: August 07, 2021, 08:31:01 PM »
Excellent table.
Love it.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
« Reply #709 on: August 07, 2021, 08:45:50 PM »
Great table and nicely written report. 

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #710 on: August 07, 2021, 09:22:43 PM »
Looks like a good game.
Jamie does good stuff, not just WW2 tanks.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #711 on: August 07, 2021, 10:40:23 PM »

(6” if firing from without).

Will go back to reading the Battle report in a minute. Just wanted to say top marks for using the old fashioned form of "without" as the opposite of "within". It is a lovely word and much nicer than saying "from outside"  8)
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #712 on: August 07, 2021, 10:49:24 PM »
The benefits of a public school education! Lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #713 on: August 07, 2021, 10:55:07 PM »
Wow very quick and brutal game.

Offline flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #714 on: August 08, 2021, 09:04:49 AM »
Well done in getting a game played.
It all looks very nice.
Love those tanks Jamie.
Panzer 2 - you know it will sweep the battlefield clear...lol
Flatpack

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #715 on: August 08, 2021, 09:23:16 AM »
Will go back to reading the Battle report in a minute. Just wanted to say top marks for using the old fashioned form of "without" as the opposite of "within". It is a lovely word and much nicer than saying "from outside"  8)

Without a doubt.  :D

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #716 on: August 08, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
Lovely job on that table :-* :-* :-*
Nice close up of your figures as well

Online MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #717 on: August 10, 2021, 12:33:26 AM »
Fan-freakin-tastic! Absolutely Brilliant!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Something for the weekend!
« Reply #718 on: August 18, 2021, 09:23:45 PM »
Have to come up with a scenario for this Saturdays game……think it is going to be nasty! Lol

Pak 43 “ Barn Door”

I have the dismantled carriage wheel sets to paint and mount on a separate base.  May make a useful jump off marker….

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
Re: CoC - Western Front - Something for the weekend!
« Reply #719 on: August 18, 2021, 10:14:11 PM »
Looks rather good. Who'd be a Sherman driver?

I do like the colour on the brass shell casing. What colour are you using?
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---