Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:38:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 125311 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: CoC - Western Front - Operation Market Garden….sort of
« Reply #825 on: January 28, 2022, 05:00:34 PM »
Anyway, with your collection on models, buildings etc…what the hell do you need mine for? Lol

The technical term is... GREED!!! :o :o :o

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Battle Reports
« Reply #826 on: January 30, 2022, 06:54:01 PM »
Hmmm!

So, we played the second battle of the Bazooka Town campaign yesterday.

This is the second map, and my lads were tasked with holding up the American advance.

The Yanks are advancing left to right.  The river is a major (but crossable to infantry) so the bridge is obviously a focal point.

This battle is a probe, with the Americans having to exit off my table edge.  Should be tricky no?

I only get 4 points of support to his 10.  My only real option being a sniper and entrenchment for one team.

I got my arse handed me last time by a walked in mortar barrage.

Not a great start, I roll low for my starting morale, clearly there is a little fear in the air…

Jamie starts bringing elements on to the table.  A 60mm mortar team, a 30cal mg section that sets up a base of fire (overwatch), and a couple of sections of infantry.  Of course, he also brings on  another foo!

I bring in the sniper (position hidden the way we play it) but he’s really pretty ineffective.

It’s a race for the all important first CoC dice which I loose.   This means Jamie can bring in his mortar barrage once more, and I’m powerless to stop it even though I get a dice.   I can use it to stop his barrage, but him already holding a dice means he can counter it 🥴

Effectively, in a repeat of the first map, he brings in the barrage then moves it to block off my deployment allowing him to cross the river unapposed……then run past my jump off point and exit the table…..all without me putting a figure on the table! 😩😢

I’m not doing well here……but really, these opening maps are a real race for the CoC dice to get an effective and lasting barrage.  Jamie had great dice, I had not so great!

So we decided to play it again for shits and giggles ( the outcome as far as the campaign was concerned already determined)……

Campaign tally…..0-2!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:50:43 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #827 on: January 30, 2022, 08:37:58 PM »
Deciding to replay the exact scenario, I was dismayed when once again, I rolled low for my morale!

Anyway the table.

I had tried to get my jump off points a tad further back, but otherwise everything similar to the first game.

Jamie brought on the twin 30cal section pretty much in the same place, plus a senior officer, mortar, foo and sections, again on the road using the hedge for cover.

The race for that important CoC dice was on, but this time, I started collecting the fives first!

Twin 30cal (tripods) dish out 20 shots, but Jamie decided to push them forward instaed of sitting back in their fire base to try and get them into close range (knowing my guns would not be at close range if he did so).   What this meant was they started bolting forward, thus he was not putting them into  overwatch, something that certainly makes you think twice about exposing yourself.   Realising this was my chance, I deployed a pair of sections into the damaged houses.

Jamie’s sections were however on overwatch and his foo had stated to contact the fire mission……but I had rolled three sixes and ended the turn deliberately without firing either of the two deployed sections.  All overwatch of course disappeared.

Retaining the initiative, I rolled again, bringing a senior leader on behind one house but within control of both sections, and the two sections brought their mg42s to bear on the advancing 30cal section.    With that amount of firepower, and the American section caught pretty much in the open, we traded phases but the end was pretty swift for the American 30 calls.   In fact the last team, with their junior leader was literally wiped out to a man forcing morale drop rolls for both lost section and loss of a junior leader.

Jamie had by now also deployed his M4 which sat at the back pouring HE and machine gun fire into my right hand building and I started to loose a few men and gather a bit of shock.

Deciding to join the section and enter the house so as to rally them a little, I had a wobble when fire caught my Senior leader but luckily he wasn’t too badly hit and carried on.

My sniper was having more success this game too and in what for him was a masterful shot, he was able to pick out the foo and kill him!  (Chance of officer hit 1or 2, then random hit allocated between him and three present officers!)

By now Jamie’s morale had sunk and he was operating with only a couple of command dice.

I decided that I may as well deploy my old faithful panzerschreck team, who vary rarely seem to miss (never leave home without one guys!) who deployed into the river banks to have a long range shot at the pesky tank.

Sure as eggs….hit!

Two net hits ended up resulting in injured tank officer……bad things happen table….end of game!

What a difference getting that first CoC dice makes when there is a forward observer about!

Great days gaming with a win a piece being a cool result.  Ok, I’m down in the campaign….but there is always the next map! Lol

Great table and host.

Offline PrivateBuzz

• Assistant
  • Too Fat Lardies fan.
« Reply #828 on: January 30, 2022, 10:04:28 PM »
Great write up! Nice to re live the first game.  Not so sure about the second one!

I need to get my skates on with the buildings for the next map. Great little campaign.

Wonder when the wild card will be played?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2022, 07:51:07 AM by PrivateBuzz »
All the best!

Jamie.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #829 on: January 30, 2022, 10:47:57 PM »
Ah yes….I get to field TWO tiger IIs at some point……..have to make this count though…..

And I can confirm….Jamie is dressing a LOT of mdf buildings that will look great when done….looking forward to scrapping among them!
« Last Edit: January 30, 2022, 10:52:11 PM by Digits »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #830 on: January 30, 2022, 10:51:55 PM »
I must get some GIs painted...  😀 shame all the figs I have are wearing 43-44 kit or in greatcoats
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #831 on: February 01, 2022, 08:50:38 AM »
Fantastic looking game! Thank you for the AAR!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #832 on: February 02, 2022, 05:18:55 PM »
Great game(s)!  And report(s).  Well done!

I must get some GIs painted...  😀 shame all the figs I have are wearing 43-44 kit or in greatcoats

No shame there!  The '43-'44 kit works all the way through the end of the war.  The US Army never quite got everyone kitted out in the '44 field jacket and buckle boots by war's end....
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #833 on: February 02, 2022, 08:04:48 PM »
Great game(s)!  And report(s).  Well done!

No shame there!  The '43-'44 kit works all the way through the end of the war.  The US Army never quite got everyone kitted out in the '44 field jacket and buckle boots by war's end....

I know but mine are all Parsons jackets using the Perry plastics, and they just don't scream 44-45 to me.. 

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #834 on: February 03, 2022, 12:38:15 PM »
Well played! You really seized your chances in the second game Digits.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #835 on: February 03, 2022, 09:40:32 PM »
I know but mine are all Parsons jackets using the Perry plastics, and they just don't scream 44-45 to me.. 

Yep - I have several of the Perry plastic boys painted up.

Have you looked at the Empress GIs or the Artizan Designs late war guys?  I have several of the empress chaps painted up, and they are very enjoyable figures to paint up.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #836 on: February 03, 2022, 10:10:17 PM »
I’ve been looking at the Artizan ones myself…just worried I can’t match them up for support choices though.

Started working on some more bits to make the board looked lived in.   I need some grave yard areas to pop about the church and I need a range of gardens to pop behind houses.   Early days for both but you get the idea.   I need a few more tomb stones before I can texture the bases.

We are both going to do a few bits of simple garden without walls too as we can just pop hedges or fences around them.

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #837 on: February 03, 2022, 10:23:33 PM »
Grave yard looks good so far.  Every church needs one!

I'd look at Empress for late war US guys.  They have a decent range, with some of the support options you'd need (MGs, engineers, mortars, AT gun, etc.).  They match up OK with Artizan, size-wise.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #838 on: February 04, 2022, 09:38:58 AM »
Any truth to the story that the graves bear the names of
my officers who threw 1s on the wound chart?  ;)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #839 on: February 04, 2022, 02:34:20 PM »
Grave yard looks good so far.  Every church needs one!

I'd look at Empress for late war US guys.  They have a decent range, with some of the support options you'd need (MGs, engineers, mortars, AT gun, etc.).  They match up OK with Artizan, size-wise.

Do you have any idea of how many CoC platoons I have awaiting paint?