Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:14:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686496
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 125284 times)

Offline moiterei_1984

• Mad Scientist
    • My hobby blog
Re: CoC - Western Front - Engineering Works
« Reply #360 on: February 21, 2021, 01:51:06 PM »
Liking the minefield and the walls, really nice job.

The warlord walls look like the italeri ones, a little low for my liking for Normandy villages.

Cheers
Matt

Well, that’s probably due to the fact that these are virtually the same product in a fancier box with an even fancier price tag  ;)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Sturm Troops
« Reply #361 on: February 23, 2021, 03:41:00 PM »
Reading requirements for Bloody Bucket, I realise I don’t have enough troops holding StG44’s for the Sturm platoon.   Scrabbling about and pretty much using the last of my plastic bits, these are the best I can come up with.  Should look better when painted up.

I also needed an IG18 infantry gun.....yes, I know it looks lop sided......but it was a bitch to glue together! Lol

Painting next....

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 12:14:46 PM by Digits »

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #362 on: February 23, 2021, 05:23:59 PM »
Looks fine to me David, besides after you've stuck
some foliage/camouflage on it no one will notice.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #363 on: February 23, 2021, 05:30:06 PM »
True.  Tbh...the picture looks better than in real life!  New one on me!

It was daft things like axle being too thin for wheel holes, front plate being crooked etc....that and my usual superglue proved bloody useless with the metal...not usually an issue.

But you are right.....a little foliage.....

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #364 on: February 23, 2021, 05:31:52 PM »
...and now you know why I prefer AFV to airplane models.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #365 on: February 23, 2021, 05:57:53 PM »
To be fair....an aircraft in metal WOULD be a sod!

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Sturm Platoon & Railway Tracks
« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2021, 08:58:40 AM »
I bought about eight foot of printed 1/56 railway track from Paint and Glue.

Worrying it would be laborious to paint and ballast, I wanted to come up with the easiest and quickest way I could of painting it, simply three colours...and I’m happy with the result.

Here are my test pieces .     Now to do the rest.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2021, 10:18:38 AM »
Loving the new stuff
 I've only 3ft of track on an embankment painted. I know I need at least the same again,and a station. But the thought of painting it again is definitely off putting as it ate paint and totally shredded brushes.
I have to confess I wish I'd thought of your solution. Even more so as I scratch built the track .
At the risk of jumping the gun. Are making a train for the track? As it seems a lot of track to go with out one.
It's other big issue I have with finishing the railway scenery for my own table. As I've simply not found a European style ( or English) engine that looks right .Short of spending small fortune on an O guage engine.
There's loads of nice looking engines for Wild West games. But not for WW2 unless you go armoured train. ( already made one.) I know I'll end up making one out of cereal packet at some point. It's not a real stretch from previous builds its just I begrudge the amount of hobby time it'll eat.
Do have an Engine in mind or are you in a similar boat?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2021, 10:38:59 AM »
Tbh...I hadn’t actually decided to add a train at all......to me, there are miles and miles of rail line criss crossing the continent and at any one point in time, they would typically be devoid of a train!  Often running alongside roads etc, to me, an obvious piece of terrain often with large stretches of fencing alongside it, it’s a difficult obstacle at times to cross.

I was going to ask paint and glue to look at a few train pieces though. 

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #369 on: February 24, 2021, 01:48:21 PM »
Absolutely agree that's why mine's on an embankment and each section has a point at which figures could cross as each section has brambles ,walls and fences . Just to make choke points that can function as objectives.

I mainly skirmish game on 3'×3' and 4'×4'. The main reason I want to add a station and a train. Is childhood memories.
The train station because of the  scene in Bedknobs and broomsticks.
The train because I always fancied gaming the train siege in the Original 'The lady Vanishes' ( come to think of it . that would explain my current obsessive search for decent tree's since I've start looking at building a train.)

I think that's probably what I'm asking. I'm planning on a train and or a station, as an additional set of scenery pieces that allow for more scenarios and objectives. As well as the obvious set dressings.
Is that a long term goal. Or will be now I've got you musing?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #370 on: February 24, 2021, 03:08:51 PM »
A station and its associated out buildings and infrastructure is certainly an interesting focal point to fight about I agree.   Even a simple cattle dock and platform for a country halt.

Not high on my list right now but a possibility in the future perhaps.   

Edit:

I just think they look cool as they are.  Quick set up to demonstrate. 

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 03:36:50 PM by Digits »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #371 on: February 25, 2021, 12:29:02 AM »
Well I'm not going to disagree.  :D You always make a cracking piece of scenery.
Which serves to prove my musing. We spend all this time making wonderful terrain and give little more than the status of an obstacle.
When in reality they are terrain fearures with function. I've observed over several years many a game and club . Where theirs a total lack of understanding of infrastructure both of how it relates to and functions with in a landscape.
Your plan and logic for your use of railway is perfectly formed for your goal nothing to contradict or critique. You make a cracking table. I'd be well chuffed to play on it let alone own.
The main reason I talk about adding thing's such as stations , signal boxes, Water tower's , and electrical substations.
Is because they allow you to elevate the use of such pretty scenery and make it a focal point on a table. Especially when you go to such efforts .
Your absolutely right in your accretions on miles and miles of open track. Being just that and having little function in game's with rolling battles for arguments sake such as a blitzkrieg. It's still ( in your case) going to be a cracking table.
But in game's in the vain of an operation Sealion. Infrastructure and amenities have value as objectives and means of control. Once you no longer control the power and the water your under a siege . These can become little tableaus with in. Bigger games.
I think we as gamer's see such places and features. With the in the context of our peace time lives and treat them in that way on the table. Either ignore their role and existence or treat them as a minor and inconvenient obstacles in getting from A to B.
I know sounds a little long winded and self indulgent. It's just in a previous life I happened to have a very rough paper round  ;. Where understanding environmental mapping played a big role.
So I tend to look at things slightly differently.What makes me especially found of your projects is your attention to detail that's often missing from many a pretty table. Such as gardens, yards ,and paths. These are things that subconsciously effect your movement through an environment and it carries across onto a table .People will move figures differently if you add paths and gardens. They won't and can't dive across the rear of  buildings in the same way as they do if these features are absent.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #372 on: February 25, 2021, 09:53:22 AM »
I understand exactly what you are saying.   Yes, I agree there are a plethora of opportunities to create mission objectives and added interest to any battlefield.

If I were going to game using only a handful of minis, I do think adding that level of detail is warranted, indeed absolutely essential.  That’s kind of why I’m doing a lot more detailing around the Chateau precisely because I intend to make it the focus of a small scale Dirty Dozen type game where such things as a radio tower / shack for example will be a paramount objective say to prevent reinforcements or call in the extraction.  It is on the list.

I have to balance this with CoC, a slightly larger game where objectives are still important but the game focuses more on gaining ground or destruction of the opposition.   Objectives  can simply be holding and control of a road junction, tree line, river crossing  etc.  In this instance, I have to balance having space to play, with the desire to put on what is hopefully a good looking and immersive battlefield. 

In my opinion, probably echoing yours a little, I often hear the excuse for simplistic terrain being “we’re gamers firstly”.  I don’t fully understand this, as indeed you’ve pointed out, the more bare the table, the less terrain features as a fundamental part of any game.   

I am mostly simply of the school however, if my opponent has gone to all the effort of spending time painting and collecting his minis, the least I can do is try to give them the setting to match, and hopefully add to the enjoyment and remembering of a game.

Online has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #373 on: February 25, 2021, 10:46:25 AM »
Well said you two.
I like a pretty battlefield & the tasks it will give.
I abhor the sterile, both sides exactly the same, so that it is fair.
War is an art, not a science.
Pretty every time for me. I will see how can I use the battlefield,
(normally very badly I'm afraid).

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #374 on: February 26, 2021, 12:45:24 PM »
Absolutely! 

I prefer the challenge of not only weighing up the differences between opposing forces, but trying to exact every crumb of potential use of the terrain. 

Still been thinking about terrain additions.  In no particular order:

Paint the buildings I have (circa 9 to paint)
Paint and ballast remaining rail track
Pick up a couple of bits of rolling stock.
Paint remaining dirt tracks
Build and paint river
Add Teddy Bear fur Fields (Jamie doing those now)
Create a couple of ploughed fields (given up on doormat version - looked crap)
Hills
Radio Tower / comms building
Additional Wire Fencing
Battlefield Wrecks
Make a few more sheds / log stores / veg patches / outhouses for formed back gardens
Build pond
Buy  / build large Bridge (I have a painted Warlord stone bridge but want something larger for say Market Garden objective)

As for minis....I still have the Fallschirmjager to paint and my British infantry have turned up!

So, plenty to go at.  Time to paint some more minis though.  Hopefully , a few more of my painted vehicles are arriving later today too  :D
« Last Edit: February 26, 2021, 01:04:55 PM by Digits »