Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 09:20:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 126826 times)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - New Old Barn!
« Reply #600 on: June 18, 2021, 12:10:10 PM »
That barn  is the business and I love the addition of the climbing rose.  :-* :-* :-* :-*

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #601 on: June 18, 2021, 12:17:18 PM »
Nice looking setup. As the attacker I would be bringing HE support...  :)
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #602 on: June 18, 2021, 01:00:36 PM »
That  is a very nice setup :-* :-* :-*

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #603 on: June 18, 2021, 02:27:32 PM »
Plus 1 to the nice comments.
Does this mean you two have finished with Bloody Bucket?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #604 on: June 18, 2021, 02:35:41 PM »
No.  Back to that soon enough.  Taking a break whilst gathering mojo to paint minis!

Cheers guys, glad you like it.   Have a few more buildings to do yet....

Not that they will be available for tomorrow’s battle…but a quick pic of Panthers on manoeuvres…

« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 03:17:58 PM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - 325th attack the hamlet!
« Reply #605 on: June 20, 2021, 11:58:19 PM »
So, had a great game on Saturday.

Long and short of it, the mission was to capture the jump off point marked with a blue cross near the crossroads. 

Not drawing this one out too much but the long and short….

The elite US glider infantry, moving swiftly toward the hamlet were able to place their jump off markers at the forward hedge rows, marked in the lozenge area.  The right hand section, quickly moving out to cover the ground towards building 2.

German jump off markers can be seen clustered around the the junction and just behind building 2.  A further jump off was established near building 1.  Maybe a little too early, I deployed a section into building 1 and one into building 2.  Angles of fire were tricky, with no building square on to the eastern edge (at the bottom of the table).   The US deployed their forces quickly, including a support 50 cal (5) and I immediately started to feel the heat.   I had intended to hold back my third section to defend in entrenchment sat the crossroads, but with the only bit of open ground now being crossed, I decided I should deploy it also into building 2.

Surely with 4 mg42’s firing at close range, I would quickly chop up the advancing Americans…….

And they brought up a Sherman which chose to sit at the back and start laying HE into the building, trying to destabilise it…..too far away from my jump off positions for me to ambush it with my panzerschrek unfortunately…..

The advancing US section, slowed and went tactical whilst the supporting section laid on covering fire from its rifle section, keeping the panzer grenadiers on the ground floor busy, whilst simultaneously hitting the top floor section with combined fire from the section 30cal and the supporting 50cal.  The Americans also deployed a 60mm mortar, and bazooka which along with the tank, added their HE into the mix.

So with one section at reduced effectiveness (subjected to covering fire) and the top floor section being battered, I was still determined to try and break the advancing section.  However, having never faced elite troops before, I soon realised how damned difficult they were to hit!   I was loosing men at a far faster rate!

It had been predetermined there was a battery of 88’s on a hill across the valley to the south that overlooked the hamlet, and that a chain of command dice would be able to activate them to take a shot.  The first opportunity I got, the 88’s took a shot at the stationery and exposed Sherman.   A solid hit slammed into the side of the tank, and knocked out the tank.

The advancing US section, decided to stop hugging the ground, and started to add their firepower onto the building.    The junior leader attached to the top section was killed and the senior leader moved upstairs to take personal command of the remains of the section.  The US sensed a chance to eliminate or break the top section, and let up on their covering fire which had kept the lower section almost impotent.  They star.ted hitting the top floor with everything they had, and the the senior leader was wounded and unable to hold sway over his men.  However, the combined firepower from all those machine guns finally was able to chop up the advancing section and it broke, running back through the gap in the hedge…

Heartened by this, I decided to push the section still sitting in building 1 out to cover the back of the farm where the action was.

Before they could get t.ok far however, the amount of American fire pouring into the top floor broke the defending section which ran down out the back, dismaying their fellow section and leaving them alone to face the main force of infantry now moving towards them….

I now had a decision to make.  If I stayed put and tried to hold back the yanks, the ground floor section would suffer the same fate.  They were already down three men and were dazed.   I needed to give ground, and give them a chance to recover their composure so they left the back of the building and entered the stable block the other side of the pigsty.  The third section, along with the panzerschreck team now took positions to defend the crossroads…..whilst the American Platton leader ran his second section across to take the farmhouse.  They did this despite Sniper fire from the roof.  I had been trying to deploy him for a long time.  The Americans had a pre game barrage in play and despite a lot of test rolls, I had been unable to deploy until now.

Fearing he would score another hit on the support elements and further drop his morale, the American commander ordered his men to go up and clear him out.  The section moved up to the first, sending a scouting pair into the loft to flush him out.  Meanwhile the commander rushed back to take charge of his support assets to get them moving.

The 50 cal had continued to chase fire after the broken section but had failed to finish them.

I used my final command dice and chose to end the turn….risky because we both had routing sections.  In doing so, we both came perilously close to having no stomach for the fight.

I felt a minor reprieve as the Americans were concentrating on clearing out the sniper and not already dropping fire onto the crossroads.   

I detached a team from the third section and tried to flank the stable block in order to try and get at the bazooka team.  If I could break them…?

But I was worried this wouldn’t do it.   The Americans were now bringing forward the hated 50cal and I knew once that was in position, I would suffer the loss.

I had one last desperate play left, it could go horribly wrong, but in desperation I moved the section back out from the stables, and thrust them into to ground floor of the farmhouse!

Unable to activate his section to counter then, in my next phase, I ordered them to storm the first floor.   They duly chucked their potato mashers up the stairwell, stunning a couple obviously, then valiantly attacked……

Once we’d worked out just how many dice we would be throwing, the combination of elite defenders, both being aggressive troops, all that automatic fire etc….we both ended up throwing 21 dice each…….and we both literally wiped each other out! Lol

Checking on the bad things happen table, and by the skin of my teeth, ending up on one point of morale as the Americans lost their last, I was able to snatch a victory!

Wow!  That was the closest game yet.   It literally came down to a very aggressive bout of close combat which could have gone either way (as well as the rolls on the morale table), and the fact all participants in the melee fell made it more incredible!

Dammed good game, great scenario, great opposition!   I enjoyed that.  Cheers Jamie.

« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:09:55 AM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #606 on: June 21, 2021, 09:08:23 AM »
Lovely set up & interesting fight so far.
Looking forward to the next thrilling instalment.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #607 on: June 21, 2021, 09:10:34 AM »
Cheers…edited it to a conclusion, really enjoyed that one!

Forgot to mention, at one point, I was able to mobilise the 88 a second time.

Could have worked, I knew any hit against an infantry unit would soon be rallied, so opted to snipe it at the medic that was trying to make his way to the broken and injured second senior leader that had fled when the American section broke.

Shook him up a bit, but failed to kill him! Lol
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 09:13:54 AM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #608 on: June 21, 2021, 09:32:33 AM »
Could have worked, I knew any hit against an infantry unit would soon be rallied, so opted to snipe it at the medic that was trying to make his way to the broken and injured second senior leader that had fled when the American section broke.

David only you (OK & a lot of other wargammers) would go
sniping with a battery of 88s  :D :D :D

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #609 on: June 21, 2021, 10:19:36 AM »
Great looking game :-* :-* :-*
The sniping with an 88 against an unarmed medic is a bit much though lol lol lol

Offline modelwarrior

• Scientist
    • themodelwarrior
« Reply #610 on: June 21, 2021, 10:29:25 AM »
Nice write up,models and pictures. Thanks.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #611 on: June 21, 2021, 10:30:39 AM »
You say “a bit much” but if he’d been able to reach the broken senior leader, that may have cost me the game.   Routing the section helped me to whittle down their morale….without that I would have definitely not pulled this out of the fire, so it was warranted I believe!

Anyway, I am now going to buy myself an 88 for my current workbench SS….the first of which test minis I will pop up tonight if I get a chance.

Cheers guys, appreciate the comments.

Modelsarrior…the US minis are all Jamie’s and unfortunately, I have yet to paint summer Germans so they are winter fellas….luckily there aren’t many close ups! Lol
« Last Edit: June 21, 2021, 10:32:37 AM by Digits »

Offline PrivateBuzz

• Assistant
  • Too Fat Lardies fan.
« Reply #612 on: June 21, 2021, 12:13:07 PM »
Fantastic write up, it was like reliving it all again. A very tense and fun battle.

The 88 must have loaded up solid shot. As the shell whistled past the medic, the draft must have shocked him somewhat.
All the best!

Jamie.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #613 on: June 21, 2021, 12:17:28 PM »
You say “a bit much” but if he’d been able to reach the broken senior leader, that may have cost me the game.   Routing the section helped me to whittle down their morale….without that I would have definitely not pulled this out of the fire, so it was warranted I believe!

'I vos only obeying orders' (NB Didn't work at Nuremburg) and ...
I really must explain the concept of 'War crimes' to you at some time.  lol

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #614 on: June 21, 2021, 12:22:43 PM »
The bigger draft came from his trousers I’d say!

As for war crimes…..my grandfather was involved with those trials and in bringing prominent nazis to book……unfortunately he died when I was very young.  I doubt though he’d find much wrong with my action…….besides, where is the proof?   There are no written orders…..