Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:47:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686487
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 125279 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Something for the weekend!
« Reply #720 on: August 18, 2021, 09:27:45 PM »

I do like the colour on the brass shell casing. What colour are you using?

Cheers.  GW paints

Base Balthasar Gold

Then Sycorax Bronze

Then Agrax Earthshade wash

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #721 on: August 18, 2021, 11:08:57 PM »
Ta. It's come out well.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #722 on: August 18, 2021, 11:19:57 PM »
Nice :-* :-* :-*
Where did the camo net come from?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #723 on: August 19, 2021, 04:49:03 AM »
It’s crepe bandage, soaked / sprayed greens/ browns.  Cut in pieces then soaked in diluted pvs, squeezed out and positioned.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #724 on: August 19, 2021, 02:27:07 PM »
It would be cruel though wouldn’t it?

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #725 on: August 19, 2021, 05:29:57 PM »
Are these both Warlord?
And it wouldn't be cruel lol

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #726 on: August 19, 2021, 05:41:54 PM »
Yup, both Warlord. The 88 is an absolute beast of a gun!

We’ve decided on a scenario for Saturday.  US infantry with a troop of M4’s have been assigned the task of locating and destroying a suspected ant tank gun in position which has been causing mayhem and already accounted for a number of tanks and various supports.

To make matters worse, this is Bocage country!

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #727 on: August 19, 2021, 06:50:52 PM »
Yup, both Warlord. The 88 is an absolute beast of a gun!

We’ve decided on a scenario for Saturday.  US infantry with a troop of M4’s have been assigned the task of locating and destroying a suspected ant tank gun in position which has been causing mayhem and already accounted for a number of tanks and various supports.

To make matters worse, this is Bocage country!

if I had a Pak 43 and a Pak 40 I would prefer not Bocage. I would ping those Shermans long before they could see me. In Bocage I would just be taking a dozen panzerfausts and panzerschrecks.  :D

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #728 on: August 19, 2021, 07:07:47 PM »
Yup, I thought that too, but they have to flush out a gun, so be it!

In other news….I’m stoked!

Just realised Warlord have released a box of Panzer Lehr!

I can add them to my Artizan Lehr and find a few minis to pop about them and try and build a Lehr platoon!  Brilliant!
« Last Edit: August 19, 2021, 07:19:58 PM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #729 on: August 19, 2021, 08:28:51 PM »
David! Too much leering.  :D

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #730 on: August 19, 2021, 08:30:24 PM »
Yup, I thought that too, but they have to flush out a gun, so be it!

In other news….I’m stoked!

Just realised Warlord have released a box of Panzer Lehr!

I can add them to my Artizan Lehr and find a few minis to pop about them and try and build a Lehr platoon!  Brilliant!

You do know Wargames Atlantic are releasing a box of plastic Panzer Lehr don't you?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #731 on: August 19, 2021, 09:11:58 PM »
I didn’t but that’s great…as long as they match up in size.

Cheers!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #732 on: August 19, 2021, 11:02:08 PM »
Seems like such a wicked gun should not have ordinary humans clustered around it... should have a demon crew! Can't wait to see it painted.
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #733 on: August 20, 2021, 06:40:02 AM »
I’d argue the gun in the previous page is the one that should be manned by demons but the pak 40 was still a very nasty gun.  I know the 88 (in its various forms) has the kudos for being the scariest killer but when mentioning German anti tank guns, it’s always the pak 40 I immediately see in my minds eye.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Bocage encounter!
« Reply #734 on: August 22, 2021, 10:02:47 AM »
So, yesterday’s game was to be set in the Bocage!

Reports indicated a German 88 to be causing significant bother in the area, and the Americans were tasked with flushing it out.

The US infantry were supported by three Sherman 4s and a few other minor supports in clouding adjutant, engineers and a second bazooka team.

Opposing them, a Grenadier platoon, with slightly less than half the US support points, consisting one big nasty pak43 88mm anti tank gun and I opted for a second panzerschreck.

We had opted to add three morale points to our roll off to a max 11, which we both duly achieved.

The battlefield was typical Bocage, with the Americans fighting up the board as we see it.

For the first dozen or so phases, the Americans picked their way forward, opting to spread their force on a side front, with the three Sherman’s each taking a separate track.  The Germans managing to keep their heads well and truly down, as the Americans took up overwatch positions toward their suspected lines.

All the while this was happening, we were both amassing a lot of rolled fives and adding to our collection of CoC dice.

The Americans, in an effort to either force the Germans hand, or to give themselves an opportunity to create a further forward jump off position, despatched a pair of scouts to reconnoiter forward on their left flank.  Their command tank taking up position their too.

I held off and watched the scouts approaching, almost letting them overrun my own jump off before deciding I’d best try to see them off.  A section deployed directly in front of the scouts and mowed them down.  Jamie had by his own admission forgotten to deploy his further jump off marker, but with his sections and tank on overwatch, responded, injuring and dropping my squad leader, inflicting a few casualties and a handful of shock.

I had no choice in my next phase but to pull them back from the firing line to save them getting chewed up further.

The Americans now pushed their infantry through the Bocage hedgerows and started the advance on the now pinpointed enemy positions.   The command tank, maintained an overwatch position whilst directing his troop forward.  One heading down the road, whilst the third tank pushed forward on his right flank to support the infantry there.

My dilemma, was that there was no position I could deploy my pak where it would be able to fire on more than one tank.  I opted to try and concentrate its effort therefore on the command tank on my right flank.  With its first shot, it struck the Sherman but glanced harmlessly away!  Oh no!

I deployed another squad into the position vacated by the first section, to try and stem the approaching infantry.

The Sherman commander, using both his main gun, and the top mounted mg, inflicted a couple of kills on the pak team, including their junior leader and four shock!   

I had to deploy my senior leader, and join the pak team in order to steady their nerves.

Meanwhile, the Sherman coming down the road was heading flat out so I decided to deploy my platoon panzerschreck team, who also scored a magnificent shot on the approaching tank, but it too bounced off!   Gott im Himmel!   Either the Americans had seriously beefed up their frontal armour, or I was been supplied with poor quality munitions!

I had no choice but to declare my final hand and deploy my support shrek to also target this encroaching bull.  Again, my men’s training ensured another difficult shot, and this time, the tank erupted in a ball of flame as it blew up.

Infantry traded fire on my right flank, and I started to take losses among my engaged section but equally the leading American section was taking a lot of heat.

The command Sherman continued to pump HE into my lines, using one of his CoC dice to interrupt my own firing.  However, once the interruption had occurred, I was able to once again bring a hitting shot onto the hull down comman tank, and this time, the tank was knocked out, the crew bailing out.

The attack on my left flank was developing, an I started to redeploy one of my panzershrek teams in order to support the beleaguered section facing the developing attack.

However, with CoC dice available to me, I was finally able to inflict sufficient shock on the exposed lead section to my right, to break it then end the turn, thus running Jamie’s morale wheel to naught. 

Interesting game and despite at times my dice yielding very little comfort, I was buoyed by the fact that every time I fired on a tank, despite at times needing difficult dice to hit, I was throwing lucky dice and hit every time.

It was interesting to play with some of our armour, and I would like to play the reverse some time with a German counter attack, with my IV’s against an embedded Allied force.  I have to admit however, for two points on the support list, the panzershrek is a very tasty choice.

Thanks Jamie, good game.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2021, 10:16:14 AM by Digits »