Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:24:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 125404 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - German Reinforcements
« Reply #750 on: December 18, 2021, 04:37:36 PM »
Just had another game at Jamie’s, lovely table, straight forward cross table patrol encounter. 

I’m sorry to say only a small handful of pictures……a shame because I don’t have a full table shot, a lovely rural setting in French hedgerow country.

There is no real battle report to run with these shots, suffice to say that it was a game strangely devoid of infantry firing action.

The Americans, certainly I feel got a good spread of jump off points.  It was obvious that for any real fire fights, sections would need to close up considerably with all those hedge rows.  My jump off was a little more restricted, but I did see an opportunity develop over the initial phases of the game when realising the Americans chose to ignore my right, where the two houses with their walled gardens could afford a solid defensible point.   

As the game got underway, I tried bringing my off board mortars to bear, but Jamie thwarted what may have been a damaging barrage by calling a CoC dice and ending the turn thus scuppering the potential carnage and severing my link to the battery.

However, as has proven the case more often than not in the last few games, my fellas deployed a sniper, pretty much the only guy to gain any height advantage and thus have a pick of targets.  With the very first shot of the game, I killed a section junior leader.

In fact, almost every time he fired thereafter, he gained a kill, only for the kill to be a casualty on an officer!   Now this happened a lot in our last game too….with pretty much every kill when checked, appearing to be a hit on his command staff.

I could say it’s my flukey dice, but to be fair, the owning player makes the rolls to determine the effects of hits and whether or not it’s an officer effected and the subsequent roll to see what happens to the force morale.  So I’ve come to the conclusion that despite doing very little wrong tactically, Jamie’s dice are in the hands of a very fickle dice god!

The Yanks did bring on a Sherman which sat in overwatch for a little while before moving down the road to attack the massing German infantry among the walled garden of the buildings. Unfortunately, it then fell fowl of my other favourite piece…the dreaded panzershrek which I carry with every regular infantry platoon as a part of the command section.    With thirteen dice it meant that I put four net hits on it on my first shot knocking it out…yet another hit on their morale.  It’s a horrible thing to face off to, but I always seem to be able to pull off a hit, then with all that armour piercing goodness, it’s a matter of relying on the laws of averages to inflict pain.

I was able to then bring on my panzer II Luchs which up to this point  had been hiding from the Sherman, and it managed a kill and a few shock for its inaugural outing.

I managed to overrun a jump off point then end the turn to force another roll on their morale.

By now Jamie was down to three  command dice, never a great position to be, and a plucky US senior leader (that had taken over the leaderless section) tried to flush out with grenades a German section that had recently occupied the building next to them only to get charged by another german section that inflicted sufficient casualties with a flurry of stick grenades to see the game carried.

So, great thanks to Jamie for hosting.   Enjoyed the game and look forward to the next one.  You’d best make a few offerings to your dice gods though fella!  ;)

Now I’ve shamed myself, I’ve had to make up numbers in my summer German numbers with winter guys for the last three or four games…..I MUST get a few minis painted!

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #751 on: December 18, 2021, 05:22:11 PM »
Good looking game that sounds like great fun!
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #752 on: December 18, 2021, 08:27:41 PM »
Digits creating merry hell with a hand held anti-tank weapon?
Well shave my beard & call me normal!!! :o :o :o

Good looking game & sounds like you had fun.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #753 on: December 18, 2021, 08:44:57 PM »
Great gaming set-up!
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #754 on: December 19, 2021, 12:49:29 AM »
Digits creating merry hell with a hand held anti-tank weapon?
Well shave my beard & call me normal!!! :o :o :o

Yup, even I have to agree it’s becoming a trait! Lol

Online flatpack

• Mastermind
  • Hiding in the shed
« Reply #755 on: December 19, 2021, 08:24:37 AM »
Great looking table.
Flatpack

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #756 on: December 19, 2021, 11:46:16 AM »
Those cabbages look ready.  lol
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #757 on: December 19, 2021, 12:02:47 PM »
Yes, my Germans were able to enjoy a nice bowl of sauerkraut following this little skirmish!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 06:23:42 PM by Digits »

Offline Paratrooper 42

• Librarian
« Reply #758 on: December 20, 2021, 06:09:03 PM »
oh to have a gaming setup as good as that.  :-*

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #759 on: December 30, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »
Not painted in a while so time to get a few bits done.  First up a few riflemen so I can field as standard rather than panzer grenadiers without me robbing my winter guys.

Online Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #760 on: December 30, 2021, 06:46:37 PM »
Nice additions to the collection 👍

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #761 on: December 31, 2021, 10:48:55 PM »
They look good to me!
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - more firepower!
« Reply #762 on: January 04, 2022, 04:12:23 PM »
Thanks chaps!

Ok…light fading and I realise I still need to highlight the faces…otherwise done (I may just pop some camouflage on the anti tank gun….)

More support firepower…..pak 40, IG18 and forward observer to bring in all that lovely mortar fire!

Still think I’m missing a gun or two mind…. ;)

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #763 on: January 04, 2022, 05:39:32 PM »
Looking great, nice and dirty, and I particularly like the observer, especially as I have just painted many of the same figures ;)

I just wish manufacturers supplied more crew with their guns. Bringing them up to 5 crew for the standard Chain of Command rules can be really difficult.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #764 on: January 04, 2022, 06:19:49 PM »
Thank you fella.

I agree, an extra pack of crew would be good…but as I mentioned before, sometimes the base can be too crowded (especially as I glue everything in place before painting!) unless you make the base bigger.  I don’t like huge bases though as they are often awkward to place properly on the table.  As such, we simply remember the crew losses with red micro dice (red = dead, white = shock), and unless you were basing to be able to remove minis, this way is perfectly reasonable.

I only realised the prone guy looking through field glasses is identical in both the spotter pack and the IG 18 ……except they’ve added a machine pistol to the spotter.

Artizan do a nice set of crew that match in with Warlord and I went that way with the winter chaps.   I have another bigger gun to do yet, so I may add another fella to that one.