Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:30:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686615
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 125373 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Foy Church
« Reply #795 on: January 21, 2022, 10:50:31 AM »
I’ve been looking for pictures of it (St Barbara’s Chapel) from before the war but so far nothing.   I even wonder if the steeple was that shape before it got blown off.   There is another picture I’ve seen of another chapel near Bastogne which was also hit in the steeple, but the roof, identical to this one, is still teetering above the damaged brickwork.

This church at Foy, was made a little famous in Band of Brothers

“Easy Company, 506th PIR, 101st Airborne were pinned down and taking casualties by a sniper laying in the top of this church. This moment is reenacted in the HBO series Band of Brothers. Staff Sergeant Darrell C. "Shifty" Powers is the soldier who ultimately killed the sniper.”

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #796 on: January 21, 2022, 12:12:03 PM »
I profoundly dislike many aspects of Band of Brothers .  It's more a social commentary reflecting the time of its making in early 2000's.
For one the way Albert  Blithe is portrayed and the inference that he never truly recovered from the his injuries slinking away to die a broken man. Is appalling.   It couldn't  be further from the truth. He went on to fight in Korea earning Both the Silver star ,  3 Bronze stars, and 3 Purple hearts .( He actually died in 67 from complications due to a perforated ulcer still a serving member of the forces.)
It could be argued that initially that the rest of unit didn't know what happen to Blythe they assumed he'd died in '48. Initially the book quoted this. But later editions corrected this error.
But they never chose to do this to the series or the DVD release.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #797 on: January 21, 2022, 02:28:47 PM »
He’s the one that went psychologically blind for a bit?    I see that that a couple of the guys remembered going to his funeral!  That’s worrying! Lol

Looks like a bad mistake, but I tend to like Stephen Ambrose to be fair.  One of my favourite reads is his D-Day book.   Recollections from a myriad of folk who were there, it’s a compelling read.   

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #798 on: January 21, 2022, 03:55:03 PM »
Great job on the church. Another very nice building by TBM. As you say, wish their range was bigger. I'd certainly buy more of their black powder era buildings.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #799 on: January 21, 2022, 10:42:21 PM »
Nice model and an interesting Then and Now photograph.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #800 on: January 22, 2022, 09:19:24 AM »
Great job on the church. Another very nice building by TBM. As you say, wish their range was bigger. I'd certainly buy more of their black powder era buildings.

Rumour on their Facebook page is they are thinking of adding to the Western European range.  Maybe they need a little more encouragement…..

Cheers guys

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Little house
« Reply #801 on: January 22, 2022, 04:30:39 PM »
So, tapping into a rare steak of mojo, I just painted another….small house with interesting roof.  Sadly, just one more to go….. :(

Jamie is rendering a whole batch of laser cut buildings, adding stonework, timer, roof tiling etc and they are going to look the dogs…..so I’m tempted to have a go myself on maybe an industrial building and see what it looks like.  A few weeks off that one though.

Just added a small statute too.

« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 05:14:07 PM by Digits »

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #802 on: January 22, 2022, 05:30:50 PM »
Great work on those, but I really dig the statue...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #803 on: January 22, 2022, 11:36:11 PM »
Great work!
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #804 on: January 23, 2022, 05:04:42 PM »
Great work on those, but I really dig the statue...

me too.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #805 on: January 23, 2022, 05:37:49 PM »
Your putting me to shame lol
I can't find the time or the mojo to make two strips of terrace houses and your churning out an entire hamlet.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Panzer Lehr
« Reply #806 on: January 24, 2022, 12:04:32 PM »
Cheers guys.  The statue is also by TBM!

Ok, so what’s next…we’ll I do have one more building to paint before sourcing new ones, but that can wait a little bit.

Meanwhile, I have been slowly putting together a bunch on minis to represent the Panzer Lehr, seeing as most of my armour is marked accordingly.

A bit of an eclectic mix tbh……seeing as no one does enough (at least in metal) to do the whole platoon.   So I have a box of Artizan and Warlord Lehr, a box of Warlord Volksgrenadiers and a plastic warlord grenadier!

The Volksgrenadiers have a short tunic, though a different cut which won’t detract from them on the battlefield, besides, on a lot of them, the tunic is pretty well hidden.

On top that, as I’m a bit pedantic about not having duplicate heavy weapons / mg  teams, I am trying to get hold of a sprue of the newly released Wargames Atlantic plastic Lehr so I can build a couple of mg teams.    I’m not overly struck on WA miniatures, and I may need to add a little clutter to get what I want from them.

Not sure as yet what to do about support options, but Steve Barber does do a Lehr panzerschreck team and sniper!

Anyway, here is the first two sections based ready for painting.

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #807 on: January 24, 2022, 02:31:53 PM »
That looks like a really good start on a new platoon. Meanwhile, having just finished my 12 SS Pz Div, I will not be doing yet another German variant ..  I will not, I won't. ok, maybe I will...
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #808 on: January 24, 2022, 06:49:09 PM »
I know the feeling!

However, as the uniform is simple, I only need worry about helmet covers!  These will be quick compared to SS! (I hope!)

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #809 on: January 24, 2022, 07:59:40 PM »
So far so good!  Looking forward to seeing them painted!