Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 02:09:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686604
  • Total Topics: 118111
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 125343 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: CoC - Western Front - Printed Barn
« Reply #1185 on: March 22, 2023, 06:55:40 AM »
David, you are gathering far too much nice scenery, now I know
that storage is a BIG worry for you, so (in order to help) I think
you should give away a load of it...
I am willing to take a lot of it, just to help you you understand.  :D

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #1186 on: March 22, 2023, 07:01:30 AM »
Might I ask where the printed barn was from? I scrolled back but must have missed it? It looks great..
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1187 on: March 22, 2023, 08:00:07 AM »
Cheers…it’s a part of the farm set from Highlands Print on eBay.   The whole set looks cool but I only wanted the barn.

Pete….thanks for the offer,  very generous of you. 🤨

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #1188 on: March 22, 2023, 08:23:39 AM »
Thanks for that.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1189 on: March 22, 2023, 09:39:50 AM »
My pleasure…now go buy the farm and show us the true potential of the set! 😉. Joking aside, I feel it’s pretty good value as a set, it’s just that I have plenty of the buildings and walls already in other guises.   For rural farmsteads, it would effectively be the centre piece of a few battle boards and the different configurations it can be built as I feel are interesting.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/334384208144?var=543381515277

It’s worth checking out their shop though…..whilst looking for this link, I see they’ve added a lot more stuff.    Could cost me a fortune…..

Offline Ragnar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #1190 on: March 24, 2023, 06:45:57 AM »
This is such an inspirational thread, Digits.  Well done!
Gods, monsters and men,
Will die together in the end.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1191 on: March 24, 2023, 06:02:40 PM »
Thanks fella, I’m chuffed you think so.

Nothing major but my other walls from Debris of War arrived.  Bloody good job I’ve taken to writing down my paint scheme choices!

These walls have character, do check them out.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #1192 on: March 25, 2023, 12:30:25 AM »
 lol Wise words indeed. I have recently had a couple of episodes of  'I'll just add a bit to that and I'll paint up a few more of those' only to realise  that I've got only the vaguest recollection of how I painted the previous items.

Beautiful walls and fences. Don't do vines and espaliered trees it will only lead to the madness of topiary. I've two passionfruit twenty feet apart that are  mutually and inexorably feeling their way to a perfect union.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1193 on: March 25, 2023, 07:39:54 AM »
Hmmm…topiary…..🤔

The writing down of paint schemes is a sad fact I’m getting old tbh…..the memory isn’t what it was! 

Offline CapnJim

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Gainfully unemployed and lovng it!
« Reply #1194 on: April 08, 2023, 05:42:00 PM »
Hmmm…topiary…..🤔

The writing down of paint schemes is a sad fact I’m getting old tbh…..the memory isn’t what it was! 

Join the club!  If those walls vary from your other walls, you can always chalk it up to "A different contractor built it"...
"Remember - Incoming Fire Has the Right-of-Way"

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #1195 on: April 09, 2023, 07:29:37 AM »
What an amazing collection of terrain.  :-*

It just goes to bloody show how much you do need to do CoC justice.
“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: CoC - Western Front - Going with a BANG!
« Reply #1196 on: July 15, 2023, 05:53:40 PM »
It’s been a while since Jamie and I had a battle, so it was good today to catch up.

We have actually played a couple of rounds on our campaign since last posting here but I forgot to do a write up.   I will have to find my notes and do a very quick precis at some point for completeness.

Anyway, Jamie had set up a one off game with for us anyway, a little additional narrative.

We were going to use the scenario “ Going with a bang” from the Bltzkrieg 1940 supplement.

My platoon had received notification indicating that some crack 82nd airbourne were advancing on my position operating just North of Gallicshrugville.  Their intention to pave a way for an American breakthrough.

My orders were clear.  I had to destroy key infrastructure in order to slow any advance down.   
As such, the Bridge and the approach road Junction would need expert demolitions placing so as to do most damage.

The terrain outside the village was pretty flat with hedgerows, with a straight track running South to the bridge.   This was going to be tricky with both of us facing challenges.

In my case, not much hard cover to be found, and an as yet untested demolitions attempt that sounded tricky.  Jamie had his own issues starting quite far back and only having two admittedly elite, sections plus their supports.

I think Jamie started with a point more force morale than I, and moved first.

I had been assigned a demo team, but knew this would be tricky so with my six support choices, I took a second demo team, a trench, a second Senior leader (really worried this could me messy!) and believing he’d maybe bring a tank, a second panzerfaust team.

He got both sections out quickly so as to get a start on his first objective…stopping me from blowing the crossroads.     His first section deploying just behind the stables and the second from the table edge in my right field.

I had to get something in his way and brought out my first section which went into overwatch

And was then lucky to get my first Demo team on the crossroads, into a prepared dugout.  They had to amass 6 pips on th3 dice before they could attempt to detonate.  They managed I think 3 on their roll……going to take a tad longer….

In the first few phases, I had quickly rolled a batch of fives …..one more and I’d have my first CoC dice.

Jamie then deployed an M8 greyhound.   I think he’d thought it would face down the road to secure or prevent my use of the jump off somehow, nut as this track was a bit tough going, it wasn’t able to speed up too quickly.  Unable to see anything, it didn’t fire.

He also started pushing his sections forward in support.

A senior officer started to manoeuvre a mortar team and a .50cal to the left of the stables….starting to mount a little pressure.  The panzer grenadiers would have liked to use a panzerfaust on the armoured car…but it was out of range….

My very next throw and I had the elusive CoC………using it straight away, I ambushed….and a panzershreck popped out of a hedge, and as my most trustworthy of weapons is want to do, hit the greyhound first time of asking, blowing it up before disappearing back to where they came from!

Th3 .50 cal made it to the hedgerow in my left field…..and only my left hand team had it covered putting a little shock on it, before it responded and winged my junior leader, along with killing another.

The gloves were off and the grenadiers found themselves in a gunfight with the .50 cal and the emerging section.  On top of that, the 50mm mortar had found their range and he started dropping in too.  His extra dice telling, rolling double sixes and retaining the phase was starting to hurt.

The demo team, safe in their foxhole, continued setting the charges with the encouragement of my leader who was positioned behind them….ready to sprint back to the bridge.

The combined weight of fire had now started chewing up the grenadiers……but finally, the engineers had their charges set………and moved back ready to detonate.

The grenadiers, crumbling under the intense fire, broke, running straight though the retreating demo team as they hit the button.    There is a 4 in 6 chance it would blow on first trying and a pleasing blast churned up the junction! 😁

The demo team also broke and the leader high tailed it backward, over the hedge and started setting the second team who had now arrived to setting the charges under the bridge.

I was however down a section and one of my precious demo teams….☹️

Jamie with his extra dice, had stared ammasing CoC dice and used one to rout both elements.

My morale was plummeting…..I was down to four dice.

TBC

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1197 on: July 15, 2023, 06:28:38 PM »
So this time, the bridge needed 12 pips to set the charges…..my first roll 3 😕.

Both my sections were on overwatch on the far banks of the stream, against the hedge.  The right hand section would see no action unfortunately, but the left hand one was to come under an impressive amount of attention. The .50cal had made it across and started firing…but with a second interrupting CoC dice, I was able to send it packing.    I now had two sections firing on my left hand position.  Jamie’s sole intent was to whittle down my morale…..knowing I would not be able to amass the pips quickly enough…..

My return fire was quite accurate and I managed to hit and kill a senior leader who was commanding both sections simultaneously…….tough odds that one!

The demo team was slowly getting there…up to 8 pips….

More heavy fire though….and my junior leader was hit….twice…..his death knocking the stuffing out and I was down to one point of morale….able only to throw two dice!

The weight of fire pinned my section……

I rolled…….needing a four or a one to activate the engineers…..nope…..five and a three!

Then Jamie rolls two sixes….he’s going to pummel me!  If he can break this section…..I’m finished.

The dice gods……favouring me somewhat…..reduce the incoming hits (being pinned really helps)….and I am close to breaking point.

I get the pips…..the charges are set……but will I get a chance to detonate.   Surely, Jamie has this………he only needs to add a couple of points of shock…….but one final glimmer of hope…..and he falls one point of shock short of breaking me!

I now need a one or four again….yes….a one.   The engineers, realising how desperate the position is, hit the button whilst still under the bridge…along with my leader……..and the detonation is good!

Their sacrifice noted….battle won!

That was a very exciting game….great narrative and really went to the wire!

Jamie unfortunately realised afterwards that he could have dropped my morale earlier when he had an opportunity to end the turn with a CoC dice and capture the jump off point I’d abandoned at the cross roads…but hey…this is war….crap happens!

Great game, great bacon butties!

If you haven’t tried this scenario, do so.

« Last Edit: July 21, 2023, 12:09:05 AM by Digits »

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #1198 on: July 15, 2023, 07:35:49 PM »
Entertaining AAR David. Sooooo close Jamie, maybe next time?

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #1199 on: July 15, 2023, 09:28:36 PM »
The odds were he should have just squeezed this…….it was so close as to be untrue at the end but I had jammy dice for sure.  We worried a little about balance at first but as I said, the narrative and turning points of the game made for a very entertaining days gaming!