Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:28:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690749
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 64020 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Unarmoured Skutatoi- Updated Page 9. 13/01/2021
« Reply #150 on: February 28, 2021, 04:05:47 PM »
The group of eight miniatures featured in this post were finished about a month ago and only over the last week did I find the stamina to get the varnishing process on the way! My usual method of brush on Humbrol Gloss, a week to let the gloss go off and then a couple of layers of Windsor and Newton Professional Matt Vanish spray over the top to get a nice flat finish. Talking of which, the W&N vanish can have the effect of dulling down any metallic paint and it was interesting to note a post by James Morris on the Lead Adventure Forum featuring some of his Wars of the Roses for Never mind the Billhooks that the full plate armours looked the business without any varnish at all. This is not really an option with metal miniatures, especially with a lot of cloth and flesh involved (from memory James's were Perry plastics) so I've been trying out the AK Interactive Ultra Matt Brush on Varnish on some old miniatures, leaving out the metallic areas. The AK Interactive Ultra is ideally ideally meant to be applied with an airbrush, which might explain the speckling that I am getting on the miniatures which is I have to say, a big "no-no" IMHO as it can ruin the overall appeal of a miniature. It might take some time to get the results I am looking for. When I do, I will of course post up some comparison pics.

An airbrush is something I have never used and really want to avoid the expense of buying a decent rig.

I should add, yesterday I have managed to get to work on the last eight miniatures for the unit which has raised my sense of Elan, which is of course a very good thing. So, a positive :>)

The unit as it stands thus far. Sixteen out of the twenty four miniatures that will make up the finished unit. I usually manage to find a way in which to make the miniatures "talk" to one another. This has been an unusually difficult job with this particular unit. Maybe down to planning (or rather lack of) or perhaps just an audit of my current mental state(???). I think I managed to get a couple of the command miniatures to express a feeling of urgency. What do you guys think?

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Unarmoured Skutatoi- Updated Page 11. 28/02/2021
« Reply #151 on: February 28, 2021, 04:11:55 PM »
Very nice and I think the poses of the rank and file limited the ability to make them do too much, command certainly engaged in energetic debate but the paint jobs...well that makes them all shine...lovely work, let that do the talking😉

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
I think I managed to get a couple of the command miniatures to express a feeling of urgency. What do you guys think?
I agree- between the poses of the command figures and the way the rank and file are holding their spears it looks like the shizzle is about to hit the fizzle.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Cracking work Atheling :-*
About the varnish,be warned what you are about to read maybe could be akin to heresy; righty oh,after a couple of mishaps,careful blending,only to see all that work go to hell under a coat of matt varnish,I stopped using the stuff. I have hundreds of painted miniatures now without varnish and absolutely no wear. I do use a lot of Tamiya flat base for the effect,and I am very particular about the undercoat,so far all good. It doesn’t matter if it’s resin,metal or plastic a good undercoat seems to do the trick,and no more lost work.
Cheero
Guy
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
bloody fabulous mate

cheers
Matt

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks you for all the goodly words guys- appreciated as ever :)

Cracking work Atheling :-*
About the varnish,be warned what you are about to read maybe could be akin to heresy; righty oh,after a couple of mishaps,careful blending,only to see all that work go to hell under a coat of matt varnish,I stopped using the stuff. I have hundreds of painted miniatures now without varnish and absolutely no wear. I do use a lot of Tamiya flat base for the effect,and I am very particular about the undercoat,so far all good. It doesn’t matter if it’s resin,metal or plastic a good undercoat seems to do the trick,and no more lost work.
Cheero
Guy

I know what you mean Guy, I'm just as particular about the primer as much as the undercoat. A solid primer with "teeth" can save a world of woe. Metals, in my experience, no matter how carefully handled have always been subject to more chipping. Maybe it's just me  ??? ??? ???

Very nice and I think the poses of the rank and file limited the ability to make them do too much, command certainly engaged in energetic debate but the paint jobs...well that makes them all shine...lovely work, let that do the talking😉

I agree- between the poses of the command figures and the way the rank and file are holding their spears it looks like the shizzle is about to hit the fizzle.

I think you're both right. Maybe if I had gone for a more Shieldwall type affair assuming the mini's will allow? I might trim down some of the bases and give it a go next time.  8)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Atheling's Early Byzantines Army- Units So Far- UPDATED 09/03/21
« Reply #156 on: March 09, 2021, 06:51:11 PM »
What with all the beautiful Aventine Miniatures Early Byzantine armies being posted and my lack of space to take large group shots whilst Covid is still causing mayhem I thought I'd post up a couple of pics of each unit I have completed thus far:

Armoured Skutatoi:

Command Base:

Dismounted Bucellarri/Extra Heavy Infantry:

Slingers:

Torsion Engine:

Army General Command Base on Foot:

A unit of Unarmoured Skutatoi in the varnishing queue and another  Unarmoured Skutatoi unit in the process of being painted up.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 12:24:17 PM by Atheling »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
 :-* :-* :-*

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
They are simply stunning chap

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
Awesome! Will you be working on some opponents for them too?

Can I ask what your bases are made of? They look like MDF, but with some thinner material attached beneath?

Offline Thew2

• Bookworm
Really wonderful painting and basing! I love the red, yellow and blue pteruges (wikipedia suggests this is what they're called?) on the command.

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Stunning work.

The hand painted banners are amazing.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Excellent work! The force looks amazing!

Offline Timotl

• Scientist
Simply magnificent!  :o

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
They look the business mate, loving that command base

Cheers
Matt