Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 06:56:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 64164 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Thanks you all for your kind words  :)

The hand painted banners are amazing.

Thanks you. They are the only army I am working on where I am actually painting the banners by hand. I find it very rewarding but it is time consuming.

Awesome! Will you be working on some opponents for them too?

Yeah, quite a list actually. To start off with the Belisarius/Narses Justinian era stuff it will be Goths, Franks (one unit done thus far!  lol ) Lombards and of course, Sassanids. Later I'll move into the Arab Conquest and Avars etc for the Heraclian era stuff. There will also be Gassanids and a few others as allies for the Eastern Romans.

Can I ask what your bases are made of? They look like MDF, but with some thinner material attached beneath?

It's "Magnabase". Basically magnetic sheet. All the armies that won't fit into a display case get allotted a Very Useful Box which is lined with magnetic sheeting. It just keeps everything from moving around and potential damage. If you're interested the best place to buy the magnetic basing stuff is Magnetic Displays:
https://www.magneticdisplays.co.uk/

Really wonderful painting and basing! I love the red, yellow and blue pteruges (wikipedia suggests this is what they're called?) on the command.

Yeah, Pteruges, though I am yet to learn how to pronounce the word  lol
« Last Edit: March 13, 2021, 09:47:47 PM by Atheling »

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Beautiful figures, and the flags are fantastic!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Beautiful figures, and the flags are fantastic!

Thanks Bearwoodman :)

Offline hallmarkFPS

• Bookworm
    • HALLMARK FIGURE PAINTING
Beautiful collection your are building mate, very impressive

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Beautiful collection your are building mate, very impressive

Thanks- appreciated :)

I'm loving your Early Byzantines too!  8)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Seriously beautiful painting on those Byzantines, especially the command stand.  :-* :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Seriously beautiful painting on those Byzantines, especially the command stand.  :-* :-*

Cheers Hu Rhu  :)

More of the larger based command stand to come in the near future. I'm currently trying to fill out the ranks a little more with two unarmoured units of Skutatoi but there's Bucellarrii, Lancers and other Cavarly goodness to come reasonably soon. I love painting Cavalry models which is why I'm trying to fill in the infantry ranks as much as possible before engaging with the Cav  lol

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm
Wowsers - this could well be my favourite army posted on Lead Adventure.   Beautiful.   You are properly doing justice to the new (and stunning) range.

I'd be most interested to know what ranges you are using for the Germanic opponents for the Belisarian era - presumably the metal ranges by Footsore, GB and so on, or are you kit-bashing plastics to produce a slightly later, more Romanized look?   Am also very curious to know your plans for the Heraclian opposition.   Sassanids and Avars are dealt with by Aventine and GB.   But early Muslim Arabs are a real conundrum for me.  Such an important army historically and yet they remain the great "black hole" in terms of miniatures.  I don't think the GB plastics are easily retrofitted for this purpose.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Wowsers - this could well be my favourite army posted on Lead Adventure.   Beautiful.   You are properly doing justice to the new (and stunning) range.

I'd be most interested to know what ranges you are using for the Germanic opponents for the Belisarian era - presumably the metal ranges by Footsore, GB and so on, or are you kit-bashing plastics to produce a slightly later, more Romanized look?   Am also very curious to know your plans for the Heraclian opposition.   Sassanids and Avars are dealt with by Aventine and GB.   But early Muslim Arabs are a real conundrum for me.  Such an important army historically and yet they remain the great "black hole" in terms of miniatures.  I don't think the GB plastics are easily retrofitted for this purpose.

I can't really answer the question without giving things away about potential Aventine releases. I told Keith I would keep everything he let me know re: future releases if in confidence. I would drop Keith a line and ask if you're interested.

I don't think I'll be doing any plastic kit bashing but of course if the need arises then I will do. TBH, I have such a long way to go with just the, for want of a better phrase, Justinian era Aventine releases I'm going to be busy with just those for a while yet. I will be moving onto the Heraclian era stuff after I have much of the earlier stuff completed. And that's quite a lot as I bought two units of everything  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
Wow. *Very* tidy paintjobs all around.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Wow. *Very* tidy paintjobs all around.

Thanks Hammers. I'm trying to keep up the momentum. :)

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
Nice!
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Just a quick post to keep things up to speed. I have been experimenting with different colour schemes for the tunics for the different Unarmoured Skutatoi Units that will be standing as the main battle line in the army along with their Armoured Comrades (in Shieldwall). I have avoided the temptation to go for purely complimentary colours as they often create a hard contrast which, given the surface area of the miniature that will be covered by my chosen hues of "Green" and "Yellow" would tend towards the dynamic between the colours being too strong. I have also shifted the hue of the green slightly.

I am happy with the way in which the colour schemes have worked out on this the second unit of Unarmoured Skutatoi but as always, I would be very interested in hearing what you guys think?

Please note, the models are unvarnished. so no gloss and matting down as of yet.

The first unit is still waiting, somewhat impatiently for the gloss to dry so I can finally matt the miniatures down, paint the banner and base it up so pics of that very soon.

For now though......

Cheers :)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2021, 02:02:46 PM by Atheling »

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
That's a really nice colour combination but what is most striking is how clean they are and how they somehow pop
I think its hard with some colours, particularly red and yellow not to have an undercoat or wash coming through. Those are so neatly painted that the colours used have some depth and give the illusion of troops wearing nice thick rich cloth.
So what paint brand are you using? Is that why?
How many coats to get that coverage? Is that the secret?
And finally - how come your figures' hands and spears don't have huge blobs of epoxy on them like mine seem to? lol
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill