Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 08:42:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690482
  • Total Topics: 118333
  • Online Today: 732
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 63874 times)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Nice colour combination using some muted tones.

Offline Iain R

• Mad Scientist
  • High on life... and thinners. Mainly thinners.
Beautiful stuff. Byzantine armies are always impressive and colourful, but these are a real treat!
Proudly not painting Wars of The Roses since... ever

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Thanks folks  :)

That's a really nice colour combination but what is most striking is how clean they are and how they somehow pop
I think its hard with some colours, particularly red and yellow not to have an undercoat or wash coming through. Those are so neatly painted that the colours used have some depth and give the illusion of troops wearing nice thick rich cloth.
So what paint brand are you using?

I use quite a wide variety really..... Andrea, Vallejo (Model, Game and Panzer Aces), Foundry (older the better- I wouldn't buy them nowadays) and Citadel mainly on the metallic work.

Is that why? How many coats to get that coverage? Is that the secret?

I usually have a couple of coats for a basecoat of any colour and just layer up from there. Nothing fancy really.

And finally - how come your figures' hands and spears don't have huge blobs of epoxy on them like mine seem to? lol

I use industrial grade superglue. Out of the army thus far, I have only had two spear come loose, which is a pain as I have to strip the paint from the offending hand and repaint!  >:(  Mostly though they stay well stuck :)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Atheling, can you tell us the manufacturer of the superglue you use. I have been looking for a really good version for many years.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Atheling, can you tell us the manufacturer of the superglue you use. I have been looking for a really good version for many years.

Yeah, no probs, it's Everbuild High Grade Industrial. It's available on amazon in the UK.

Offline Aventine

• Scientist
For what it is worth. Recently I have been using Gorilla Super Glue gel in the 15ml bottles, it helps fill the gaps between the hand and the spears and sets very hard. Just need to wipe off any excess or the epoxy hand thing happens.

Cheers
Keith

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Chaps, thanks for the advice on glue. Following a mate’s recommendation I did try some Gorilla glue. To be honest I didn’t find it to be as good as advertised. Since lockdown I’ve been using some cheap stuff my wife sourced for me.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Chaps, thanks for the advice on glue. Following a mate’s recommendation I did try some Gorilla glue. To be honest I didn’t find it to be as good as advertised. Since lockdown I’ve been using some cheap stuff my wife sourced for me.

The Everbuild High Grade Industrial stuff is cheap really. Under £2. I think the secret to using superglue is to leave it for a day or so before handing the models. I don't know if it's just me but the bond seems a lot stronger 24 hours later compared to say an hour.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
My next purchases from Aventine........  :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* 

Available on the Aventine website if anyone else is interested  ???

https://aventineminiatures.co.uk/catalog/index.php/cPath/53_167_173

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
Yah, those look bee-ootiful.  ;D

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Darrell, this isn't my period of interest but your brushwork is AMAZING!  :o As usual.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Darrell, this isn't my period of interest but your brushwork is AMAZING!  :o As usual.

Cheers Bravo Six! Very kind of you to say so. I've really taken my time with the Aventine Byzantines so I'm very happy to hear that you like the paint jobs :)

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm

I like your new alternative colour scheme.   

Thanks for the tip off on the horse archers.   They look quite "late" to me, as in more Heraclean than Belisarian, especially with the rudimentary stirrups.     The (also very nice) Footsore figures look like an earlier fit.    I fear the day of reckoning is drawing near when a further swoop will be required on Aventine's shop!

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
Great stuff from Aventine! I paint some Sassanids. And beautiful painted Byzantines!
« Last Edit: March 17, 2021, 11:24:46 AM by Wellington »
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I like your new alternative colour scheme.   

Thanks for the tip off on the horse archers.   They look quite "late" to me, as in more Heraclean than Belisarian, especially with the rudimentary stirrups.

They are. The Aventine range covers the Justinian and Heraclian eras. Just pick the miniatures for your desired period, which in mu case is both!  :D I'm going to be putting together two armies that span from 527CE to roughly 711CE.

The (also very nice) Footsore figures look like an earlier fit.

I really like the Footsore Late Roman Sagittarri too.