Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:47:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690626
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 63935 times)

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm

That's my plan as well - two "split" armies extending to the wars of the 7th Century.

With that in mind, how I would love it if Aventine did a full range of early Muslims, to cover the most important conflict in late antiquity.   The other gap is Slavs.  We've got Avars by Aventine and GB but apart from a couple of older packs by GB nothing that I know of that covers their subordinate allies.   At the moment I'm planning to use generic dark age spearmen based on the GB plastics but it would be great to have a few packs of dedicated sculpts.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
That's my plan as well - two "split" armies extending to the wars of the 7th Century.

With that in mind, how I would love it if Aventine did a full range of early Muslims, to cover the most important conflict in late antiquity.   The other gap is Slavs.  We've got Avars by Aventine and GB but apart from a couple of older packs by GB nothing that I know of that covers their subordinate allies.   At the moment I'm planning to use generic dark age spearmen based on the GB plastics but it would be great to have a few packs of dedicated sculpts.

Agreed. Personally speaking, it would be great to have very single enemy and ally of the Justinian and Heraclian eras. I can't see it ever happening. I'm trying not to do too many conversions as of now as I'm trying to concentrate on getting a large force painted for a game we have pencilled in for later in the year- with the requisite conditions in place of course. Having said that, I do have plans for a few conversions, mainly character/command stands that sort of thing. I might be filing away some stirrups on some of the models so they fit my vision of a Justinian army, so in this case, nothing too taxing.

I can't really say anything as to the future Aventine releases that I have been privy to as it was said in confidence and I do not want to break that promise.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 11:51:48 AM by Atheling »

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
With that in mind, how I would love it if Aventine did a full range of early Muslims, to cover the most important conflict in late antiquity.   
Amen brother. Fascinating period that is still resonating today.

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
A stunningly good thread! :-*

Christopher

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Amen brother. Fascinating period that is still resonating today.

It is definitely a fascinating time period. I was listening to the The History of Byzantium whilst painting, which despite only a brief outline, it was astonishing to hear just how much I didn't know!  :)

A stunningly good thread! :-*

Cheers Christopher, I've been watching your Middle Imperial Roman thread with great interest too; some very fine painting sir  8)

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm

A truly fascinating period now enlivened by a range that properly covers the Byzantine army of the period.   If anyone wants a recommendation for a book that really digs into it, I cannot rate Empires of Faith by Peter Sarris highly enough, covering both the last Romano-Sassanid conflict and the Muslim conquest through until the beginning of the 7th Century.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
A truly fascinating period now enlivened by a range that properly covers the Byzantine army of the period.   If anyone wants a recommendation for a book that really digs into it, I cannot rate Empires of Faith by Peter Sarris highly enough, covering both the last Romano-Sassanid conflict and the Muslim conquest through until the beginning of the 7th Century.

Thanks.  8)

I haven't read that one, or actually heard of it ( ???) but have added it to the reading list.

Is it a detailed description of the wars such as Haldon and Farrokh or a more generalised view of the wars. I ask as the Amazon description doesn't give very much away.

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm

It is multidisciplinary (there's stuff on the archaeological record, numismatics etc.) but with detailed surveys of the various wars between the three great powers.  Not to the same level as Haldon (or Sylvanne), as his theme is the decline of the classical Mediterranean culture and emergence of Northern Europe as a new center of gravity as a consequence of the Arab conquest.   But it's the book I consult most in terms of checking the key facts and background.  His discussion of the Byzantine counter-offensive under Constans II is the best I have read.   Well worth having on the shelf alongside Haldon.   

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
It is multidisciplinary (there's stuff on the archaeological record, numismatics etc.) but with detailed surveys of the various wars between the three great powers.  Not to the same level as Haldon (or Sylvanne), as his theme is the decline of the classical Mediterranean culture and emergence of Northern Europe as a new center of gravity as a consequence of the Arab conquest.   But it's the book I consult most in terms of checking the key facts and background.  His discussion of the Byzantine counter-offensive under Constans II is the best I have read.   Well worth having on the shelf alongside Haldon.   

Thanks Hincmar. Appreciated  8)

I've got a basket full of Amazon household essentials I have been trying to to buy so I'll add the book and give it a read. :)

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
Fantastic mate, you can never have too many....although I stopped at 36 units of Late Roman foot and 10 units of cavalry!

cheers
Matt

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Fantastic mate, you can never have too many....although I stopped at 36 units of Late Roman foot and 10 units of cavalry!

36 infantry units!!!???  :o

Here's the latest unit finally complete- or nearly complete as I forgot to to matt the banner down prior to taking the pictures but I positively refuse to go back and retake the pictures now  lol. I'll probably post some 360 degree images of the individual bases in a few days so the banner will be seen in completed then.

I also thought the banner to be a bit on the bland side but as the Unarmoured Skutatoi basically run of the mill plebs I'm not too anxious about this and will probably go for something similar on the next unit of Unarmoured Skutatoi which I am working on currently.

A load more images are available on my Just Add Water Blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2021/03/unarmoured-early-byzantine-skutatoi.html

« Last Edit: March 26, 2021, 07:51:20 AM by Atheling »

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
This has developed into a great thread. Brilliant work and I love the damaged shield in the front rank, I'll definitely be pinching that idea.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
This has developed into a great thread.

Thanks you Alan. There's a lot more to come including the Cavalry, of which there will be a lot as well a many more infantry units before I start moving forward into the later "Heraclian era".

Brilliant work and I love the damaged shield in the front rank, I'll definitely be pinching that idea.

Feel free to steal away, the banners are all hand painted but the shields are all LBMS Transfers, the Footsore Miniatures ones fit the smaller shields (scutum) done by Aventine:

https://www.littlebigmenstudios.com/product-category/28mm-transfers/footsore-miniatures/

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Fantastic painting on the whole unit.  :-* :-* :-*

Offline Smithy

• Assistant
  • AVENTINE ADAM
Really great work, best I've seen in a very long time  :o Great thread also on a great period for wargamers, so much more to it than simply Justinians' war in Africa and Italy.
On the subject of shields and transfers the smaller shield was produced as an afterthought to fit Footsore minis transfers as Steve at LBM was too overwhelmed with work to produce a set for our main Byzantine shield, what is now our 'middle sized' shield with darts behind. 
I have been working to resize some of the Gripping Beast transfers to fit the wider shield with some success but it does require some of the design to be repainted, not everyones cup of tea. Perhaps things will ease up a bit and Steve can resize some designs for us.
Keep up the good work and I can't wait to see the cavalry! Adam
'I see lead people'