Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 10:58:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 63640 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog

I'm not going to be able to get very much painting done over the next few weeks o I'm going to update the blog with some close ups of some units not yet seen to fill in some of the time.

First up are the Goths/Ostrogoths. The Footsore Miniatures Goths will be mixed and matched with a company who will soon be producing some Goths more suitable for the Battle of Taginae 552 CE era. I have been asked on a few channels on social media to elaborate on this but, as I have alluded earlier, I cannot really say who is producing these as the company has not made an official announcement thus it is not really my place to say. Apologies to everyone who is gagging for Goths suitable for Belisarius campaigns in Italy, I am sure you will be finding out soon enough.

More pics of various angles of the bases can be seen on my Just Add Water Blog here:
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2021/08/gothsostrogoths-close-ups-of-single.html

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
Excellent painting 5here, especially love the shields.  Are they  all freehand?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Excellent painting 5here, especially love the shields.

Ta :)

Are they  all freehand?

No, the back ranks (unarmoured) are freehand but the front ranks (being the Nobility) were treated to LBMS transfers.

I don't mind painting shields by hand, but with several hundred miniatures making up the army, it just isn't practical. I made a point of hand painting all the banners for the Early Byzantines but chose to use shield transfers for most of the shields. It's just a lot faster that way with so many shields to paint.

This painted from the portrait of Belisarius from the "Justinian Mosiac" in the church of San Vitale, Ravenna:

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
Superb banner, way beyond my level…..might nick that shield idea though, (front rank only having LBMS transfers). I can do geometrics fine, but anything more “artistic” is beyond my skill grade…….I have a few dwarves to paint coming up soon!   

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Superb banner, way beyond my level…..might nick that shield idea though, (front rank only having LBMS transfers).

Please feel free.

About twenty years ago I refused to use  shield transfers at all, which has me wondering what was wrong with me nowadays  lol

I can do geometrics fine, but anything more “artistic” is beyond my skill grade…….I have a few dwarves to paint coming up soon!

I still quite like painting them, but not on large armies as it is just too time consuming and I don't have quite as many days on the planet as I did a couple of decades back :)

A few Norman designs of mine:

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Beautiful :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Beautiful :-*

Thanks Tonhel. More to come soon - once the pesky studio "tidy up"/"reorganise half my life" is complete!  o_o lol

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
Wonderful stuff.  I could colour them in, but for generating the designs my draftsmanship is just not up to snuff….

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Please feel free.

About twenty years ago I refused to use  shield transfers at all, which has me wondering what was wrong with me nowadays  lol

I still quite like painting them, but not on large armies as it is just too time consuming and I don't have quite as many days on the planet as I did a couple of decades back :)

It is honestly just patience and practice. Think of it like writing an essay. The very first one you write in the first year at Unit is going to be pretty shabby compared to your final dissertation.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 12:38:54 PM by Atheling »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Just a quick post to say that I've had quite a few of my pictures of my Early Byzantines features in the latest edition of The Wargames Annual.

They look absolutely stunning in print and leaving me quite proud.

If you pop over the the Bazaar you will be able to see the post in full including some bonus pictures which didn't make the cut:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=134165.new;topicseen#new

Here's a quick sample:

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Congratulations! A well deserved spotlight!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Congratulations! A well deserved spotlight!

Cheers mate. I have to admit I'm really impressed with the layout on the book.

The pics here are basically a few of the out takes.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
I may have to buy that book

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I may have to buy that book

please do so- there's plenty more then just my painting- some good Sudan stuff in there as well as a lot of other interesting articles. I'd say more but I haven't actually found the time to read it yet!

I'd like to say it would make me rich but it won't  lol

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Stunning work. You are an Elder God, indeed.