Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:33:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 62614 times)

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
Re: Byzantine Dismounted Bucellarri (Finally!) Complete!
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2020, 03:03:24 PM »

Thanks :) I've got a Torsion War Machine and some slingers in the gloss pile at present due for matting down on Tuesday.

Seems like you let your figures site quite awhile before hitting them with a matte finish.  What kind of gloss do you use and what kind of matt do you use?

I let my glossed figures sit overnight, but I'm wondering if I can learn something here.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Byzantine Dismounted Bucellarri (Finally!) Complete!
« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2020, 07:12:14 PM »
Seems like you let your figures site quite awhile before hitting them with a matte finish.  What kind of gloss do you use and what kind of matt do you use?
I let my glossed figures sit overnight, but I'm wondering if I can learn something here.

I started getting a little bit of speckling on some miniatures and mentioned it on my blog (or on here?). Our very own Redzed pointed out that after glossing I should wait about a week prior to matting down and it has worked a treat. I'll certainly continue with this method for miniatures that I've spent some time on like the Byzantines. It is a strange kind of stasis waiting for a week prior to matting down!  lol

As for the speed painted stuff? (Like the Beja in the Colonial section) I just leave them the usual 24 hours after painting then gloss. Then another 24 hours and matt down.

I think that whatever method you go for it's very important to wait 24 hours before applying any varnish at all. Let those mini's dry out :)

Hope that helps?

« Last Edit: August 25, 2020, 07:53:01 AM by Atheling »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Byzantine Dismounted Bucellarri- Close Up Shots of the Bases- Page 2
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2020, 07:36:48 AM »
So, I had a spare hour before my shopping delivery this morning and here are a few pic of some the various bases, breaking the bases down a little.

Senior Officer and Standard Bearer Base
I wanted to have some interaction between the main Standard Bearer and the Senior Officer did my best to position them to give the impression of communication; more or less safety behind the wall of shields to their front.

Junior Officer as Standard Bearer
It was less important for me to have any interaction between the standard bearer and the others here so I had him face front like the rest of the spearmen- perhaps awaiting the onslaught that must surely come.

Steadfast Bucellarri
Well, steadfastly awaiting the oncoming savagery!

Bucellarri- Archers Loose Overhead as Enemy Advances- I've angles some of the bows more horizontally as the Bucellarri wee primarily mounted soldiers and trained to loose from horseback too. The bow is often angled as such in depictions of the time

Junior Officer and Flamoularaioi
This is one of my favourite bases. I added the Flamoularaioi and Junior Officer from a separate pack. The Flamoularaioi were Junior Officers given the task of dressing the ranks (the 6 CE equivalent!). I left out the spear/banner pole of the Junior Officer as with his arm in the air like that, he was perfect for placement in the back ranks ordering the archers to loose.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 07:40:49 AM by Atheling »

Online AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2020, 08:17:17 AM »
Stunningly good   :-*

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2020, 07:27:02 PM »
Great job on arranging the multi-figure bases. I think giving the appearance of "action" like communicating, ordering archers to fire, etc., makes the army look more dynamic, too.

Mike Demana

Online marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2020, 07:51:38 PM »
Some really wonderful painting.  :-* :-*  These fellows positively glow!
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline killshot

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2020, 12:06:39 AM »
Thanks for the breakdown!  You have definitely inspired me to do some multi-basing!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2020, 09:21:00 AM »
Thanks people- appreciated.

Great job on arranging the multi-figure bases. I think giving the appearance of "action" like communicating, ordering archers to fire, etc., makes the army look more dynamic, too.

Mike Demana

I'm glad they came across that way Mike. It's something that I'm going to try to carry on through the whole army. I think it helps to give units, especially like this one which is fairly static a bit of character.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2020, 07:18:31 AM »
I've been asked a few times on various fora about my basing colours etc. For those interested please refer to the article on my blog-
Basing- How I do Mine- Step by Step
http://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/02/basing-how-i-do-mine-step-by-step.html

I hope I don't waffle on too much :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
It's been a bit frustrating waiting a week for the gloss varnish to go fully off on the models but now the Aventine Miniatures Byzantine Torsion Engine/Bolt Thrower is nicely matted down and based.

There is some discussion of the palette and many more pics on my blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/08/aventine-byzantine-torsion-field-engine.html

Piccies:

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Re: Aventine Byzantine Torsion Engine/Bolt Thrower
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2020, 09:10:04 AM »
Delicious!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2020, 11:27:25 AM »
Delicious!

Thanks Roo- very kind of you  :)

Online batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2020, 05:06:17 PM »
Fantastic work !

I have heard you talk about those long cure windows for your initial coat of gloss varnish. Can you elaborate a bit more regarding your thoughts behind that concept. Is there any science behind that approach? I think you have mentioned a blogger who uses this method.

Cheers

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2020, 05:48:14 PM »
Fantastic work !

Thanks Batu

I have heard you talk about those long cure windows for your initial coat of gloss varnish. Can you elaborate a bit more regarding your thoughts behind that concept. Is there any science behind that approach? I think you have mentioned a blogger who uses this method.

Yeah, no problem. As to the science I think it's just a matter of letting the gloss (I use Humbrol brush on Enamel Matt) go off as much as possible. It's important to remember to give them a quick dust down before matting down too. I use Windsor and Newton Artists Professional Matt Varnish for matting down and usually in two layers as it's inevitable that you will miss a spot; the last thing you want to do is put a layer of matt varnish down too thickly!

This is what happened. I mentioned that I had managed to get some speckling on some mini's after matting down over the gloss. This came to the attention of a very good painter and forum member, Redzed, who suggested I just wait a week then try matting. It really was that simple and I have to say the results are exceptional.

Which takes nothing away from having to stare at some shiny mini's for a week.  >:( >:(

I should add, I only wait the week on paint jobs that I have taken my time with such as the Byzantines above. If you were to pop over to the colonial section you will find some Beja that were varnished the next day and on close examination you will see some speckling. These were speed painted so I'm not too worried about them- though, knowing me, I will probably start waiting a week on the speed painted stuff too!  o_o lol
Link:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126539.0

Hope that helps/wasn't overly confusing? :)

Online batu

• Scientist
    • My Stuff:
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2020, 06:52:20 PM »
Thanks Batu

Yeah, no problem. As to the science I think it's just a matter of letting the gloss (I use Humbrol brush on Enamel Matt) go off as much as possible. It's important to remember to give them a quick dust down before matting down too. I use Windsor and Newton Artists Professional Matt Varnish for matting down and usually in two layers as it's inevitable that you will miss a spot; the last thing you want to do is put a layer of matt varnish down too thickly!

This is what happened. I mentioned that I had managed to get some speckling on some mini's after matting down over the gloss. This came to the attention of a very good painter and forum member, Redzed, who suggested I just wait a week then try matting. It really was that simple and I have to say the results are exceptional.

Which takes nothing away from having to stare at some shiny mini's for a week.  >:( >:(

I should add, I only wait the week on paint jobs that I have taken my time with such as the Byzantines above. If you were to pop over to the colonial section you will find some Beja that were varnished the next day and on close examination you will see some speckling. These were speed painted so I'm not too worried about them- though, knowing me, I will probably start waiting a week on the speed painted stuff too!  o_o lol
Link:
https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126539.0

Hope that helps/wasn't overly confusing? :)

Convinced! I will try it out.