Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:20:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 62623 times)

Offline caveadsum1471

• Bookworm
Re: Early Byzantine Magister Militum/Army General Base
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2020, 06:29:56 PM »
Lovely figures and super looking banners!
Best Iain

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2020, 06:15:46 PM »
Thanks. Glad that you like them.

I'm just glad that the banners turned out OK in the end.

The next unit, armoured spear, needs another painted banner and I'm beginning to run out individuals to base them on from the San Vitale in Ravenna.

If anyone has any in period ideas for artwork for banners I'd love to hear from you (pretty please)  ;) :)

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2020, 08:47:54 PM »
Perhaps Christ and the virgin Mary?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2020, 09:04:57 PM »
Perhaps Christ and the virgin Mary?

I've done Christ (please see image on previous page) The Madonna and Christchild is a very good idea and there are plenty of examples of iconic art featuring just that. I do want to err towards 6 CE iconic art/mosaics and many of both virgin mother and child that I have seen on the net have been later examples. Of course, that might just be what Google and Pinterest keep throwing my way. The army is going to double up as being set during the Justinian and Heraclian eras so 6 CE is a must.

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
« Reply #64 on: September 20, 2020, 01:05:57 PM »
I'm not an expert or even a layman, but I do believe traditional Orthodox iconography and saints should do fine due to the lack of information. Maybe Saint George?

Offline pallard

• Librarian
« Reply #65 on: September 20, 2020, 02:05:06 PM »
Hi Atheling
Your... distraction is quite inspiring!
I am impressed by the neat geometry of your standards. The christ face showed some heterodox influences to me and should be scrutinized by the Patriarch, looks a bit like an arian Rasputine! But our great Basileus is stunning really!
And so are the Excubitores!
I can understand why they were Isaurians mostly: you had to search for strong men to carry such pieces: just think of it in high winds! Could be the subject of a great vignette, Iwo Jima style...
Philippe

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #66 on: September 20, 2020, 02:06:41 PM »
Hi Atheling
Your... distraction is quite inspiring!
I am impressed by the neat geometry of your standards. The christ face showed some heterodox influences to me and should be scrutinized by the Patriarch, looks a bit like an arian Rasputine! But our great Basileus is stunning really!
And so are the Excubitores!
I can understand why they were Isaurians mostly: you had to search for strong men to carry such pieces: just think of it in high winds! Could be the subject of a great vignette, Iwo Jima style...
Philippe

Thanks Phillipe. That's very kind of you to say so.  :D  The standards are purely oversized for visual impact. I'd hate to have to try to carry one of those giant things if they were to scale! I would surely be getting blown back down the Iwo Jima type slope  lol

I'm not an expert or even a layman

Me neither  lol but learning but by bit (I hope!).
I do believe traditional Orthodox iconography and saints should do fine due to the lack of information. Maybe Saint George?

I've been trawling for imagery of 6CE saints and have found quite a few but most are of a later period. Not all but most. It's at once fascination (and infuriating)  lol

Thus far the earliest imagery I have found for St George is the Byzantine Medallion circa 1100 which is a real shame as the image is begging to be used (See below):

« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 02:10:30 PM by Atheling »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
This project has been slowed a little as I've been feeling under the weather of late.

I've got two more complete ranks and a fourth on the way. It seems like such a long time since I posted anything I couldn't resist and decided to post the front rank as they stand prior to them being based up properly to fit the rest of the army.

More pics and conversation on my blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/09/early-byzantine-skutatoi-in-sheildwall.html

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Looking great.  Looking forward to seeing the second rank added.  Rather interesting shields too.  :)

Hope you only have a cold!
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Looking great.  Looking forward to seeing the second rank added.

Thanks, appreciated :)

Rather interesting shields too.  :)

I just took what was in stock at Footsore when I was making an order over £35. I'm just going to have to say that they legged it from the west to the East  ;) :D

Hope you only have a cold!

Thanks you. Me too my friend. It's quite weird- keeps coming and going without settling.

Offline archiduque

• Mad Scientist
Excellent work mate!!!! :-*

The shields are handpainted?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Excellent work mate!!!! :-*

Thanks Rafa- appreciated mate. :)

The shields are handpainted?

No, unfortunately not. I've still got about 200 infantry to paint so transfers were out of the question. I'm very eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Aventine cavalry so I'm trying to get as much infantry done as possible before I inevitably get seduced by the flashy lads on the horses  lol

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist

Nice.  Love the poses and that's some great brushwork.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Nice.  Love the poses and that's some great brushwork.

Thanks aphillathehun  :)

I think they look the part in terms of being in an organised defensive formation.

The second rank is due for matting down today so I'll get some preliminary base tests done then add some more pictures- I have a feeling that getting it right with the basing is going to be key to making the unit look like it's in line of battle.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
looking great