Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:23:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 62593 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Skut.i & Comm. Base Shots- Page 9- 17/10/20
« Reply #120 on: October 17, 2020, 10:50:33 AM »
Love it.

Thanks James  :)

I've been messing around a bit this morning. I took a few of shots of the Skutatoi Shieldwall with the Command Base and a couple of close ups of the Skutatoi on their own which will hopefully portray some of the dynamics of the unit as they work collectively in defence.

As soon as I have some old Grand Manner buildings painted up (originally bought for James Morris' Age of Arthur, Warhammer Ancient Battles supplement) I will post up some more scenic shots with the army as it grows.

More Pics of the Unit and the Command Base (and inner rumination) on my blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/10/early-byzantine-skutatoi-and-command.html

Group Shots:

« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 10:56:32 AM by Atheling »

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
It tells a story.  :-*

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
superb. Beautifully done.

Offline Arche Seleukeia

• Bookworm
From where do you buy your basing materials? Lovely stuff.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks guys :)

From where do you buy your basing materials? Lovely stuff.

I use filler on the bases after glueing the mini's down with PVA. A small piece of blu tack is sometimes used to support the mini if I want to change the angle of the mini's base a little. The filler then takes care of the gaps (including under a base if the angle has been altered).

Then it's just various grades of sharp sand PVA'd to the filler when it's dry. The rocky outcrops are just a bit of common all garden bark wood chips which I saw into requisite shape. The rest like the back of the base (see below) is just Milliput/old Greystuff that's gone off.

First pic- Milliput 'surround'-
Second Pic Wood Chip Rock-

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
Lovely command stand 😍
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Unarmoured Skutatoi- Page 9. 13/01/2021
« Reply #126 on: January 13, 2021, 11:34:52 AM »

I have finished the brushwork and varnishing of the first eight miniatures, which amounts to one and a half ranks of four in the first Unarmoured Unit of Early Byzantine Skutatoi I have planned. Another unarmoured unit is slated in after this one.

I started these quite a while back but was quite seriously "distracted" by my Anglo Danes, an army of which roughly at about at the half way stage now. By applying my "Rule of Threes" (I know! Crazy!) the Anglo Danes have now been put to the back of the queue of my three ongoing projects remaining visible on the "To Do" shelf. I find that it very useful to have a visual reminder of what projects I have have been currently working on as this tends to stop me from straying into temptation when it comes to all things shiny on the 28mm wargames market! We have all been there!

That said, I have avoided repletion and can now present the first eight Unarmoured Unit Early Byzantine Skutatoi. On the painting table I have presently the next eight which includes the command. The command being among my favourites to paint as there are the rather juicy hand paint the banners and patches to paint which are always great fun. Talking of banners, I am beginning to run out of ideas for banners for this army and only have Theodora and Belisarius as images that are easily adopted for the Sixth Century CE. So, it anyone has any suggestions, preferably bases on 6CE Byzantine art, please let me know.

The army will be moving forward into the Heraclian era as I have plenty of infantry models that are suitable thanks to the substantive and beautiful Aventine Early Byzantine range, which has plenty of scope for later infantry types beyond the Justinian era.

Online Charlie_

• Mastermind
Very smart!

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist

I was just checking a couple of days ago to see if you'd added anything to this.  And voila, here it is today!

Nicely done.  That's a sharp color combination.

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Inspiring stuff  :-*

Offline nonsuch

• Bookworm
Splendid stuff!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

I was just checking a couple of days ago to see if you'd added anything to this.  And voila, here it is today!

As if by magic  lol It's probably my favourite period of history. If I'm not jumping forward. 1000 years that is. There should be some new Aventine releases early this year so it's a good time for me to jump back in to the project.

Nicely done.  That's a sharp color combination.

I'm afraid I can't take credit for that. LBMS transfers were the inspiration for the tunic colour choices! That and a little research. :)

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
Beautiful painting.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
I can't tell from the pics on the Aventine website - are the designs on the pants cast on - the cuff and the "panel" on the center of the leg?  I can see that the designs on the shoulder and the "pockets" are raised....

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

I can't tell from the pics on the Aventine website - are the designs on the pants cast on - the cuff and the "panel" on the center of the leg?  I can see that the designs on the shoulder and the "pockets" are raised....

Yeah, all the finery is cast on all of the infantry models which is nice as it has speeded things up a little. The panel is indeed on the middle centre of the leg on most models. Off the top of my head, (I'm cooking a curry) there is some variation in design in a few of the models.

I'll try to post a foundry pic and a byzantine pic next to one another just now. I have painted the cuffs on the legs and arms of the Foundry model but otherwise the details are raised.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2021, 08:05:03 AM by Atheling »