Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:49:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 62618 times)

Offline abu iskander

• Mad Scientist
Just lovely - beautiful stuff, as ever, Atheling!

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
Brilliant painting.  Lovely looking units.   :)

Offline skip

• Scientist
fantastic painting as always

Brian

Online Roo

• Mad Scientist
Another beautiful unit, class.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Thanks you all for your encouraging words, they really mean a lot to me.  8)

Please believe me when I say, I've been stuck in the house for over a year now and need all the encouragement I can get. The really weird thing is that my output has gone down considerably, no doubt a result of said isolation.

Any chance of an army shot? All units done to date?

That's what I was really hoping to be able to do- perhaps create some sort of panoramic on the blog (software suggestions anyone?). Unfortunately, my wargames table is buried under a pile of stuff that really needs to be chucked away/recycled! Basically, I need to pull my finger out and get it done!  lol

Offline Tordenkuglen

• Bookworm
  • Tordenkuglen aka Thunderball
Awesome paintjob :D keep it up :D
Playing or wanting to play: FoW, Swordpoint, Saga, Donny Brook, Sharp Practice, Soldiers of God, Trafalgar, Check your Six, Hail Caesar, Pike n Shotte, Black Powder and much more. main interests in wargaming periods is between Iron and Black Powder.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Continually brilliant work.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist

Gorgeous.  Painting yellow well is hard and you've done it brilliantly!

Offline Koyote

• Mastermind
  • Disturber of the Peace
Handsome army.  The red ties everything together quite nicely and is quite striking

I look forward to seeing a group shot.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
beautiful work.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks again guys for all the kind words. So very much appreciated.

I should have some shots of the single bases edited soon. I managed take one or two earlier but the Boukellaroi unit I'm currently working on naturally dragged me away from my laptop!  o_o

Gorgeous.  Painting yellow well is hard and you've done it brilliantly!

The yellow is actually quite simple- it's just VMC Orange Brown with successive layers of VMC Golden Yellow.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

I really surprised myself by managing to get up very early this morning and taking the rest of the close ups after only managing the first two bases yesterday- the lure of painting my new Boukellaroi/Bucellarri was too strong to resist yesterday! This is going to give me time to keep working away at the beautifully sculpted Boukellaroi/Bucellarri later today.

If you look closely at some of the images you will notice that there has been some sort of reaction between the Humbrol Gloss Spray and the Windsor and Newton Matt Pro Spray. I usually use Humbrol brush on Enamel Gloss as it is easy to control thus I'm wondering if this might have been down to possible "pooling" of the gloss with the spray? If anyone has any ideas I would love to hear from you as I really want to avoid a repeat of the problem. You can either leave a message for me by leaving a comment of contact me through the email facility on the blog.

There is also a brief description of how I wanted the models to mesh with one another above some of the images.

First Base:

Second Base:
The moment in a melee where the highest ranking officer in the unit has been forced into the unenviable position of having to take his place in the front rank in order to hold the unit together. Perhaps the standard bearer is gesturing to a possible flank attack?

Third Base:
Here the musician blasts out a specific note to indicate to the officer placed in the back rank (see below) to order the archers to loose.

Next three bases to come ASAP!

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Stunning work. By the way what rule set do you plan to game with?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Stunning work. By the way what rule set do you plan to game with?

Would you believe it if I said nothing as of yet?  lol

Although my preference is for Swordpoint (friendly games- I love the maintaining the battle line as crucial concept)  I have put the bases together so they can be used as is or in various combinations for a wide variety of rules. So Swordpoint, Hail Caesar, Impetus, Mortem et Glorium. I'm going to be adding some single "rank" bases to they can be used for L'Art de la Guerre too, eventually. I just wanted to cover as many bases as I could. In the past rebasing has been a real nightmare and I just want to avoid having to do that sort of thing at all coats.

For some of the rulesets the depth of the bases might be too deep, I'll just have to get used to getting charged in the flanks  lol TBH, that sort of thing doesn't really bother me. I'm famous for losing nearly every game I played at the WAB Campaign weekenders of yesteryear  lol

Second Unarmoured Early Byzantine Unit Close Ups of Bases Continued.

Fourth Base:

Base Five:

Base Six:
The officer in the back ranks moments after he has heard the blast of the "horn" to indicate that he needs to order the archers to loose.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Atheling, have you looked at Simon Miller’s “To the Strongest”? They are now my “go to” large battle ancients/medieval rule set.