Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 05:28:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690726
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 64001 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog

At the risk of stretching myself a bit thin on the painting front, between Steppe nomads and Italian Wars Spanish, I pressed ahead with basing the first two ranks of Goths. There will be a further two ranks (three bases) of lesser armoured miniatures to back them up and another six units of foot as well as many of cavalry, not to mention several units of bowmen! At the moment I'm still waiting for the gloss to settle on the final six miniatures before matting down so I'm guessing the unit will be complete in roughly a week.

I have used LBMS Transfers from the Footsore Miniatures Goths range for the nobility fighting to the front. For the back ranks, or the missing bases, I have just painted the shields in a relatively bland manner to indicate the lesser status of the warriors. Pics of the whole unit soon-ish.

Over all the Footsore Miniatures Goths are great miniatures sculpted by the much loved work of Bill Thornhill. If I had any gripes is would be that some of the castings came with extra metal lumps where small sections of the mould had torn; which is very annoying, not to mention sometimes dangerous to remove. It can require some fairly forceful cutting and being the sort of chap who values his digits I used Kevlar gloves when doing this rather risky work. Not a bad investment after nearly severing the  nerve in my thumb and losing the use of said thumb about five years back!

I found some interesting re-enactment pictures for reference in Simon McDowall's Conquerors of the Roman Empire: The Goths very useful along with the new book from the Society of Ancients publication, The Goths, From Berig to the Battle of Adrianople very useful for source material, though the latter is a little earlier than the period I have in mind for fighting my Early Byzantines.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2021, 07:56:29 AM by Atheling »

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
Good looking chaps those.  Look forward to the rest of ‘em.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Good looking chaps those.  Look forward to the rest of ‘em.

Thanks. If you pop back a page there are rather a of of Early Byzatines ;) :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God

Wow! The posts are really pouring out again. This is actually not a result of my painting speeding up but rather because there was a back log of stuff that needed varnishing and I don't like to have too many pieces out after glossing as I leave a week between the gloss and the matt layers. It's something that you don't want to get wrong or you are at risk of some icing making an unwanted appearance on the miniatures.

It is always nice to create a little command vignette. The miniatures are form the Footsore Miniatures Vortigern Warlord of Britain pack from their Late Roman range. Whilst the models would not really be great for say Adrianople 378CE Goths they are a good fit for the Goths circa Battle of Taginae 552 and the Gothic occupation of much of Italy etc.

The LBMS banner is a Christmas Special put together for Gripping Beast by Steve many years ago.

« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 09:01:29 AM by Atheling »

Offline 2010sunburst

• Scientist
Excellent work.  Truly eye popping  :o

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks 2010sunburst :)

Offline Hu Rhu

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Wow.  :o :o  Those figures and banner are just amazing.  :-* :-*

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Wow.  :o :o  Those figures and banner are just amazing.  :-* :-*

Many thanks Hu Rhu

Offline Bravo Six

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Wow.  :o :o  Those figures and banner are just amazing.  :-*

Yes, that INDEED!  :o Holy smokes.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
Super work on those, Darrell!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks Simon and all.

Yes, that INDEED!  :o Holy smokes.

The banner isn't hand painted (thankfully  lol). It's an old Special Edition LBMS and Gripping Beast collaboration done around the time of the Age of Arthur WAB supplement, so early 2000's methinks  ???

The first unit of Goths are now complete and I will have some pictures posted ASAP :)
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 02:49:44 PM by Atheling »

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Amazing work! The banner is top-notch stuff!  :o

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Amazing work! The banner is top-notch stuff!  :o

Cheers matey. The pics of the first Goth unit, fully formed, are now taken and ready to post- hopefully tomorrow :)

I have to say, compared to the Early Byzantine units it has taken a while longer  o_o

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
Gorgeous....enuff said

Offline valleyboy

• Mad Scientist
    • Valleyboy's Wargames
As usual they are all of a superb standard  but that last command group stand is just stunning
I cannot pretend to feel impartial about colours. I rejoice with the brilliant ones and am genuinely sorry for the poor browns. - Winston Churchill