Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 05:09:45 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691275
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Atheling's Early Byzantines- Made the Cover of "Slingshot"- Page 31. 23-04-2023  (Read 64265 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Stunning work. You are an Elder God, indeed.

I can feel my tentacles swell as you type  lol

Seriously though, thank you (all) for your kind comments and support.

I have had a very horrendous last couple of months where my normal industrious output literally came to a dead stop. The effects of being stuck in the house for so damn long.

With the release of the annual and help from a of other painters/wargamers I know very well i have managed to pull myself up and start to paint again, which is a huge boon. The Wargames Annual could not have been published at a better time for me. :)

Offline Tonhel

• Mad Scientist
Very cool!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks Tonhel :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Re: Early Byzantines- Steppe Nomad Full Cantabrian Circle and Single Bases
« Reply #393 on: November 28, 2021, 03:30:31 PM »
Back in the groove!

It seems like a very long time since I actually managed to work on any of my own stuff. I've started working on some Heavy Cavalry which will join the Early Byzantine long with another such unit and Belisarius' Boukellaroi.

I finally got around to basing the last six of my Horse Archers which have been sitting in a tray on some bubble wrap for a few months now. A quick dust down and it was out with the filler/spackle, leave over night, glue on the sand (leave overnight again) then basecoat and dry brush. (see Steppe Nomad Horse Archers for the other six).

I have to say that I have been extremely impressed with the exquisite Aventine Miniatures Steppe Nomad cavalry; such attention to detail. Every bit as good as their Early Byzantines and that is really saying something! I look forward to seeing what Keith and Adam do with the remoulding of the range.

Without further ado, the complete Cantabrian Circle- all those Horse Archers looks kind of awesome and I cannot wait to get it into the table top!

More pictures of close ups of all the single bases on my Just Add Water blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2021/11/steppe-nomad-full-cantabrian-circle-and.html

A few shots of some of my favourite single base close ups (to see more there's more click on the link at the top of the post):

Offline .:Gunslinger:.

• Scientist
I just love your painting style! The arrangment of the light cavalry on the bases is spot on, very cool!

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
Gorgeous! Beautiful Brushwork and superb basing!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline Roo

• Mad Scientist
Very, very nice indeed sir

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Thanks guys- appreciated as always :)

I just love your painting style! The arrangment of the light cavalry on the bases is spot on, very cool!

That's what I was really trying to achieve, the manner in which the Steppe peoples of the early 6th CE fought so it's great to hear that the movement I tried to create within each base has come (hopefully) come off as a larger unit.

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist

"Remoulding of the range?"  with new sculpts?  why do that - they are terrific now?!

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
Your painting is beautiful Atheling - I've been through your whole thread here, and it's a real treat!  :-* Thank you for sharing pictures of your models.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
"Remoulding of the range?"  with new sculpts?  why do that - they are terrific now?!

Each of the Steppe Nomads models came in a large number of parts. They were quite fiddly to put together for me and I've been at this game for a long time. From talking to Keith I get the impression that he wants to minimise the complication of gluing legs to torsos, heads to torsos, bows to arms etc etc

Keith (and Adam) run Aventine as more of a hobby for their own satisfaction. I would have to say, that judging by the sublime quality of the castings he is a little bit of a perfectionist. The whole Early Imperial Roman range was pulled and remoulded quite rapidly in the not too distant past. The Republican Romans and Steppe Nomads are getting then same treatment at present. I recently bought some remoulded Sassanian infantry and it is worth the wait.

Your painting is beautiful Atheling - I've been through your whole thread here, and it's a real treat!  :-* Thank you for sharing pictures of your models.

Thank you for the very kind words. I got a bit stuck (a bit of a dead stop actually) due to certain health problems on August 8th of this year and it's great to return to the painting desk with such a satisfying unit.

I have to figure out how to base the Steppe Nobles now, a difficult one as they tended to fight more tightly packed (think Avars and White Huns) in the 6th CE. Of course, I've got to prep them and paint them first! lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Must be a strong chap that bloke with the heads on his lance. The average noggin weighs about 5kg, so it would be interesting to see how long he could ride around waving 20kg on the end of a long stick.

Superb brushmanship, as ever. :-*
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Must be a strong chap that bloke with the heads on his lance. The average noggin weighs about 5kg, so it would be interesting to see how long he could ride around waving 20kg on the end of a long stick.

Funnily enough I've never thought about it  lol

Superb brushmanship, as ever. :-*

Thanks Carlos, appreciated :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
I've got a wee bit of time so for those who don't want or have time to pop over to my blog here's all the single bases:

« Last Edit: November 30, 2021, 08:20:45 AM by Atheling »

Offline pws

• Scientist
    • Pippoweb hobby blog
NICE NICE NICE
Per aspera ad astra
pippoweb.blogspot.it