Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:47:23 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Somewhere in the South West Pacific - More Photos!  (Read 7392 times)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
Somewhere in the South West Pacific - More Photos!
« on: August 12, 2009, 12:59:52 AM »
Hi Guys,

Michael Broadbent an I tried out the IABSM rules with the Rising Sun supplement by the Lardies on a small game to test out the mechanics of the rules. Of course we had a few teething problems which I'll be addressing with the group forum, but overall we were very happy with the outcomes.

My own painted force of Japanese of two squads (one with lmg the other with knee mortar [sniper included in one of the sections]) an one Hollywood Japanese Big Man pitted against two Elite Aussie squads(sniper, 2in mortar included) with two Big Men, one HMG and a platoon of medium mortars in support. The latter was not on board.

I split my two sections up the protect the bunker with the lmg inside the bunker and a small screen of flankers and forward outpost. A reserve of Japanese was situated behind the bunker on another feature.

Michael's forces advance up the centre with a flanking force and destroyed the outpost and sniper. The lmg open up an inflicted a number of casualties. I decided a Banzai charge was on offer and so charged his flanking force only to take more kills including the big man then Michael. We called it there, but it was only to test out the rule system and we will be gaming more of this period in a few weeks when Michael paints up more Aussies an I finish painting a further section of Japanese with some support weapons.

Here are some photos of the game using Michael's terrain. The figures are all from Company B/Brigade Games. The Type 95 is from the same company and was thrown in for some eye candy. This was my first attempt at painting an AFV. Oh, an I've worked out a better way in painting my Japanese, in particular their faces etc.

Please enjoy an I do recommend the rule system to anyone who has been chasing the grail for a long time.

Helen

« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 03:09:42 AM by Helen Bachaus »
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Somewhere in the South West Pacific
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 01:34:20 AM »
Cool looking board, Helen!!
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 02:19:08 AM »
Very nicely done. As a student of Japanese armor and someone who is very picky about identification, painting, etc., let me just tell you that your Type 95 is, far and away, one of the best I've seen. Particularly impressive since painting AFVs is new for you.
Brilliant!

-Alex

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 03:40:23 AM »
Very nice Helen.  I really like the game board.  I'm working on 20mm Japanese at the moment, so definitely like to see people's terrain.

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 10:29:12 AM »
As a student of Japanese armor and someone who is very picky about identification, painting, etc.,

Never ever look at mine then.  ;)

Very frothworthy table.  8)

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 06:54:10 PM »
Very nice!

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 07:52:30 PM »
Never ever look at mine then.  ;)

Very frothworthy table.  8)

lol

I'm sure it's fine, Wk. I just get annoyed when major wargaming and military history sources mislabel Japanese armor and then provide their products as being "well researched." (I'm looking at you, Battlefront and Osprey!;) )
It's not like it's that hard to go to the library and pick up a book;)

Hey, other guys get to froth over German tanks. I do it with the crappy stuff (Italian, Japanese, Hungarian, etc.).. it's my little corner of rivet counting nerd-dom.

-Doc

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 09:02:57 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your kind comments. Michael an I are busy painting up more forces for the next engagement.

Michael has very simple but effective terrain.

Doc, I've on the project three Type 89s to do which will be for the Bougainville campaign.

Thanks,

Helen

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2009, 09:19:47 PM »
Very tasty indeed Helen :-*

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2009, 11:33:24 PM »
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your kind comments. Michael an I are busy painting up more forces for the next engagement.

Michael has very simple but effective terrain.

Doc, I've on the project three Type 89s to do which will be for the Bougainville campaign.

Thanks,

Helen

OOh... Type 89s. Company B, I assume? I look forward to seeing them. That's one of the vehicles I don't have in my 20mm collection yet. Bougainville is a good excuse to find some.

-Doc

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2009, 02:08:22 AM »
OOh... Type 89s. Company B, I assume? I look forward to seeing them. That's one of the vehicles I don't have in my 20mm collection yet. Bougainville is a good excuse to find some.

-Doc

Hi Doc,

My project is for the South West Pacific. I'm working on the Japanese followed by th USMC raiders of which I've all in my pile ready for painting over the next year or more.

When I was on Bougainville I came across a number of Japanese relics of which the Type 89 was one. I e-mailed Taki and he sent me back this reply:

"Type 89 Medium Tanks on Bougainville were from 4th Southsea Garrison Unit(later, 38th Independent Mixed Brigade). Four Type 89 tanks landed atTarina or Talina*, the north end of Bougainville in Sept. 1943. The tankunit was deployed in the east coast of Tarina Peninsula. In March 1945,one tank was destroyed by Allied airraid. In May, tank unit abandonnedtanks and retreated to Numanuma*, middle east of Bougainville."

Helen

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
    • Black Army Productions
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 05:23:55 AM »
Helen -

Great information, thank you! Taki is a goldmine. His stuff was very helpful for me when I was building my old website on the subject. I had no idea there were 89s on Bougainville, but it's a fascinating campaign, and a great excuse to pick some up! I've got just about everything else - even a Chi-Nu, but no Type 89. Disgraceful, really, as I've got Chinese troops, too, and the 89s were very active in China. I'll need to acquire some.

I do plan to do some Japanese for my own company, eventually, in M1930 uniforms with "Cherry Blossom" helmets, in 28mm. I'm hoping to get those into production sooner than later, hopefully next wave. Early for Bougainville, but very useful nonetheless, I think.

You're Down Under, aren't you? Are you familiar with an operation called "Ostmodels"? He does a lot of obscure subjects in 1/76 resin. Any knowledge of his product?

Incidentally, there are photos from the Bougainville memorial garden online, just saw them today, and they have a Type 89 sitting there. Looks to be in halfway decent shape. Maybe it's a wreck on the inside, but looks like someone took the time to paint it, at least. I envy you that you've been there. The battlefield archaeology on some of the Pacific islands is just fantastic!

-Doc

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2009, 06:44:20 AM »
Doc T, I actually visited Anker, who was the man behind Ostmodels, back in 1990 and had an opportunity to see his back yard production and talk about his production philosophy. Esoteric vehicles were his main interest but to produce something, it needed to have a viable market. His pieces are meant to be a wargaming piece and in those days they were of very good quality. I still have a number of unmade pieces as I no longer game in 1/76 (or 20mm). I have some Japanese stuff languishing in a box in the shed if you can PM me with your wants or I can send you a couple as examples. No doubt, we can reach an accommodation when your pieces are in production  ;) .

PS, I also visited Gramodels, Cromwell, ALBY & Richard Houston as well as others I can't recall, that same year/trip, it was a great trip.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2009, 07:14:47 AM »
Helen -

Great information, thank you! Taki is a goldmine. His stuff was very helpful for me when I was building my old website on the subject. I had no idea there were 89s on Bougainville, but it's a fascinating campaign, and a great excuse to pick some up! I've got just about everything else - even a Chi-Nu, but no Type 89. Disgraceful, really, as I've got Chinese troops, too, and the 89s were very active in China. I'll need to acquire some.

I do plan to do some Japanese for my own company, eventually, in M1930 uniforms with "Cherry Blossom" helmets, in 28mm. I'm hoping to get those into production sooner than later, hopefully next wave. Early for Bougainville, but very useful nonetheless, I think.

You're Down Under, aren't you? Are you familiar with an operation called "Ostmodels"? He does a lot of obscure subjects in 1/76 resin. Any knowledge of his product?

Incidentally, there are photos from the Bougainville memorial garden online, just saw them today, and they have a Type 89 sitting there. Looks to be in halfway decent shape. Maybe it's a wreck on the inside, but looks like someone took the time to paint it, at least. I envy you that you've been there. The battlefield archaeology on some of the Pacific islands is just fantastic!

-Doc

Thanks Poiter, I was going to recommend yourself as the font of all knowledge on the Ostmodels.

Doc, When I was there the type 89 was in long grass an I did manged to get inside. Not a vehicle for the faint hearted!

I do have three Company B Type 89s cast by Jeff and they are beautiful models. Each one will have a crew commander just because I can!

Cheers,

Helen

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 03:05:05 AM »
Here are some extra photos of my latest painted additions to my Japanese. I really enjoy painting the Company B/Brigade Games Japanese.

I hope you like them.

Helen