Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 10:18:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691101
  • Total Topics: 118373
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Somewhere in the South West Pacific - More Photos!  (Read 7391 times)

Offline Doc Twilight

• Mastermind
  • We have no time for Trucers!
    • Black Army Productions
Re: Somewhere in the South West Pacific - More Photos!
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2009, 06:54:08 AM »
You are insanely talented, my dear woman:) Beautiful as always.

You say you managed to get inside the Type 89? Manage to get any photos of the interior? What was it like in there, other than crowded?;)

-Doc

Offline dodge

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2009, 06:58:44 AM »
nice stuff helen,

tank is excellent  :D

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2009, 08:08:04 AM »
You are insanely talented, my dear woman:) Beautiful as always.

You say you managed to get inside the Type 89? Manage to get any photos of the interior? What was it like in there, other than crowded?;)

-Doc

Thanks guys,

No Doc, no photos of the interior, rudimentary if I may say so, AFAIK the interior was very cramped and there was asbestos.

Helen
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2009, 02:01:12 PM »

Nice work once again Helen. I like the variety of shades you gave to your Japanese soldiers. It look great.
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline DFlynSqrl

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2009, 02:51:08 PM »
Very nice.  :)

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2009, 11:57:42 PM »
Thanks again guys for your lovely comments.

I must say that I'm enjoying painting these miniatures on an individual basis.

Helen

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2009, 12:46:13 PM »
Well Helen....I almost hesitate to post these photos  lol but I pass this Type 95 on the work every day

and clearly you have yours painted all wrong!!  Yeah Doc Twilight you too!!  o_o o_o
Yes, it has been repainted (probably many times) since WWII, also note the animatronic dinosaur in the background,plus there is a 47 mm AT gun nearby and other WWII remains plus elephants, rhinos, etc.
To post a more serious comment Helen, even though your terrain is very nice I think that it has serious problems.  I'm a guy that has spent a lot of time in the jungle and on WWII jungle battle grounds and your terrain is WAY WAY too open.  Jungle terrain is very overgrown and visibility is highly limited.  To me this is most clear in fire lanes being cleared at knee level and below so that Marines entering into HMG zones of fire were not even conscious of it until the damn woodpecker opened up on them and knocked them down and then really chewed them up.  The dense jungle also really made combined arms operations important.  The armor blasted everything around it but was terribly vulnerable because of limited visibility through periscopes and drivers slits and the heavy vegetation. The tankers needed the poor bloody infantry around them to keep off infiltrating Japanese with magnetic mines and other means to knock them out.  I really can not imagine what it was like to be inside an AFV in the jungle.  I was just working with some Seabees today and they were complaining of the heat on an OK day with some breeze.  Imagine yourself locked up tight in a metal box under fire in fetid jungle terrain.
LB
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2009, 01:34:06 PM »
It isn't always practical from a gaming point of view to have realistically dense foliage. For all we know Helen's terrain is just representative. Just because there isn't a model tree or bush on every square inch of the table, it doesn't mean that in your game you aren't considering the terrain to that dense.

I agree that it's good to have as much foliage as possible in tropical games (though mine are in Africa rather than the South Seas), but sometimes you have to make compromises for playability (and getting sick of making all those plants!  :)).
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2009, 01:50:57 PM »
Very nice Helen!
argsilverson

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2009, 08:44:16 PM »
Thanks LB, Dylan and Argyris,

LB, we are only representing the terrain for playability and factors have been incorporated to reflect such - Nice photo of the type 95 by the way!

When I was on Bougainville the jungle was so dense it was impossible to see into the jungle for a couple of meters. Yet when you are in the jungle especially along the water courses it can be so open an is like a natural corridor. Naturally, the further you ascend the denser it gets in most parts or where man has been. SE Asia is the same an I found towards the southern end of Malaysia the jungle is very dense as well. East Timor is mainly like Australia's Northern Terrority (quite open), however there are parts where it's quite dense - I've seen my time in the jungle

Helen

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #25 on: August 21, 2009, 11:35:20 PM »
Helen and Plynkes,
Point taken on the board being representative and there being different jungle conditions in different places.  I guess that it is just a personal hangup about jungle games I like to see lots of vegetation on the table even if it messes with game mechanics.
LB

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2009, 01:03:47 AM »
Helen and Plynkes,
Point taken on the board being representative and there being different jungle conditions in different places.  I guess that it is just a personal hangup about jungle games I like to see lots of vegetation on the table even if it messes with game mechanics.
LB

That's okay LB we are looking forward in seeing more of your collection and gaming boards too.

Helen

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2009, 01:23:04 PM »
Lovely stuff Helen, great looking game.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Arrigo

• Mastermind
  • errare humanum est, perseverare diabolicum est
    • Forward HQ my new blog where you can laugh at my crappy photos!
« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2009, 05:23:39 PM »
Helen, your Ha go is much better painted than mine!!!!! Arghhhhh  :o

Arrigo
"Put Grant straight in"

for pretty tanks and troops: http://forwardhq.blogspot.com