Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:57:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Taiping Rebellion and the Opium Wars  (Read 3382 times)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Re: Taiping Rebellion and the Opium Wars
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2020, 08:15:29 AM »
Got my copy.  There is a lot there. As well as the rules there's a load of info on the various forces.  For the British and the French there is a list of participating units complete with flags (pictured) and uniform details.  Ditto the EVA.  Some useful Commander cards too with ratings.

Good value for money for those of us already gaming the period and especially for anyone who wants to start doing so.

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2020, 11:15:32 AM »
I've just uploaded a small pdf with the standard commander cards plus a few extras to Wargame Vault.

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2020, 02:16:44 PM »
Got my copy.  There is a lot there. As well as the rules there's a load of info on the various forces.  For the British and the French there is a list of participating units complete with flags (pictured) and uniform details.  Ditto the EVA.  Some useful Commander cards too with ratings.

Good value for money for those of us already gaming the period and especially for anyone who wants to start doing so.

Just got my copy today. No time to read it but I agree completely with you for the few I have seen. I have a few books about the Taiping rebellion and this one is worth buying just for the infos about army organizations. It happens that my basing is fully compatible with the one advised...I think I'll like this rule  ;)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »
Not having to rebase is always a big win. Don't forget to get the Commander Cards download for free either from my blog https://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/ or Wargames Vault.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »
I must download those. 

I'm very much enjoying the extensive quote from Augustus Lyndley on how the Tai Ping responded to the threat of cavalry.  Meaty tactical stuff.  My initial take is " A hundred Birds" followed by "The Crab".  I feel a blog post coming on. 

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2020, 01:58:13 PM »
Augustus Lindley is great, with lots of detail. I'm not sure how much of it is completely compatible with itself.

I look forwards to your blog trying to pick the bones out of it.

Offline WuZhuiQiu

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2021, 02:44:11 AM »
Augustus Lindley is great, with lots of detail. I'm not sure how much of it is completely compatible with itself.

I look forwards to your blog trying to pick the bones out of it.

I don't know how I had missed this thread! I intend to order a copy, but would your ruleset be adaptable to tables marked in hexes, rather than squares?

I have been considering gaming this conflict in 10mm. I suppose that Boxers might be converted into Taiping. Might European (and Indian) troops from the Crimean War and Indian Mutiny be close enough?

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2021, 04:49:47 PM »
Taiping rebellion was first a chinese civil war, so you'll need chinese for both sides. If you want to play european armies, in 10mm, I would advise you to use zulu war british, north west frontier indians and franco-prussian war frenchs.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2021, 05:31:05 PM »
Decent suggestions, especially with some head swaps added in but where can you get suitable 10mm Chinese?

I have had numerous attempts at sculpting some myself over the last couple of years but they could only be described as awful so I have been considering commissioning a range.

There was quite a bit of encouraging chat about Pendraken doing the Boxer Rebellion but that seems to have gone quiet
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"