Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 03:51:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690723
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Playing around with some new bases!  (Read 451 times)

Offline MondayKnight

• Student
Playing around with some new bases!
« on: August 31, 2020, 01:41:06 AM »
Like many of us, I am a "bearded" games and have miniatures from 5 decades of collecting.  I recently broke out some old school figures and ran into an issue, old bases are THICK and hard to hide.  So, I did a little "stl" design and came up with this system.  I thought I would share (and heck, maybe generate a little business as well!)

Ok, once again, as with a lot of things this summer, these bases come from my personal addiction to this hobby and I was asked if I could make them available to people. So, that is what I have done with these bases. Let's start simple, I have been collecting for a LONG time. We are not going to get into details but I was well into my collection when the Bladestorm line of figures was released by Grenadier years ago. Yes, they are a little chunky and yes, not with amazing dramatic poses, but I liked them and over the years have picked up many packages. Recently, I have start trying assemble and paint them (having found a couple of really nice skirmish systems that I want to try our Fantasy Skirmish gaming with, most recently the Feudal Patrol system by "Buck" Surdu. So, out came some of the old Bladestorm figures and I found that one thing bugged me, the bases on the Bladestorm warriors made the bases extremely tall, if I mounted them on plastic stands for ease of storing.

So, having recently purchased a 3D printer and have the rudimentary concept of ".stl" design, I started playing with a new base that would allow me to "hide" the old thick bases on my figures (Something, I have recently been told, is a bane of many collectors) and came up with this design.

Next, I decided to test them on my old Bladestorm figures and found that they did exactly what I wanted them to do.

Hide the base and does so quite well with the application of a simple tool I have been using for years called "Magic Sculpt" a simple two part epoxy-resin (molded by hand)

that can be picked in local ceramic shops (and even on Amazon). Trust me on this, a 1 pound kit is enough for 100s of figures!

A little of this and a little of that, and no more visible base!

I like the way he came out so much, I did the entire pack!

Add a little primer

and I am off to finish another unit! Oh, and yes, I am a white primer painter, never have got the knack of brighter colors over black primer, but trust me, he is primed!

I showed the unit to some of my friends and they thought the bases worked great and thus, a new product is out there for you to enjoy! I hope I did not bore anyone with my little "How to" section on our new bases.

Thanks for your time,

Will 

PS, the bases are available at www.mondayknight.com

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Playing around with some new bases!
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 04:15:36 AM »
So obvious when you see it (blush).

Great idea - hope they sell well for you.