Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:45:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686596
  • Total Topics: 118110
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Never mind the Billhooks: bonus deck?  (Read 2022 times)

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
Never mind the Billhooks: bonus deck?
« on: August 31, 2020, 07:15:54 AM »
Hi All,
I had a glance at the rules and I must say I am intrigued because they seem quite simple but capturing the feel of the period.
Besides I cannot find how and when the bonus cards are drawn.
What triggers the event?
TIA for any suggestion.
Marco
« Last Edit: September 01, 2020, 04:57:00 AM by Westfalia Chris »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Never mine the billooks bonus deck
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2020, 07:24:02 AM »
Hi,

Having not been able to find the time to read through the rules yet, I don't know the answer to your question so apologies. I've been too busy with the Cricket on TV of late!  :o

Have you thought of asking th question in this thread? It might get more attention(?)
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126185.90][url]http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=126185.90[/url]

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2020, 09:01:04 AM »
There is a little confusion created by the description of the rules (page 10) regarding Play Deck. This is stated as being a deck of cards is created at the start of the game and is made up of a Leader Card for each leader, 2 skirmish cards (1 Lancastrian and 1 yorkist) and 2 bonus cards.  You could read this as made up from two Randomly chosen from the 5 available.  But I think that would be wrong.

In the Play Deck  (Coloured grey in the printed rules) there are two cards who’s face shows ‘Bonus’.  So if these get turned up in the normal case of play, the players dice off and the winner gets to choose a card from the separate Bonus Deck - which has 5 cards in it. They can choose to play immediately or save it for later.

That’s my understanding just based on reading the rules a few times, not any special knowledge.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2020, 09:43:25 AM »
Thank you all for your swift reply.
Actually I didn't notice the content of the various cards and the bonus cards answer perfectly my question.
Cheers.
Marco

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2020, 08:33:02 PM »
You can get the full range too print here:

https://www.wargamesillustrated.net/never-mind-the-billhooks/

Offline SHARPE52

• Bookworm
Re: Never mind the Billhooks: bonus deck?
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2020, 06:14:28 AM »
Thank you Admiral,
I'll have a look at the Facebook page and join the community.
It is always nice and useful to follow other fellow gamers ideas.
Marco

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 12:13:25 PM »
Hi There, just found this thread. Yes, as already said, there are two cards in the play deck which instruct the players to dice to draw a card from the bonus deck after first dicing for them. A drawn result means that neither player get the card. It's also worth mentioning that as well as drawing a bonus card, the first of these cards to be drawn in a turn also prompts the continuation of any drawn melees from the previous turn to take place.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 11:38:47 AM »
Just tried to purchase the printed deck but its now out of stock. Will there be a reprint?

Thanks.

Offline AndyC

• Assistant
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 02:29:37 PM »
I certainly hope so. When the book version comes out later this year (covering warfare across Western Europe, 100 Years War to Italian Wars) there will be an expanded card deck with extra Leaders, factions and Special events.

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 08:05:45 PM »
Will it still include the WOTR cards in the expanded deck? I like the chance that there could be betrayl which certainly swung things in a battle or two, and the further representation of Friction they can introduce.

Assuming back to jabbed up Normallish by Easter any idea on Timeframe?

Thanks.

Offline AndyC

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2021, 10:12:08 AM »
The production timeframe depends very much on Dan and his team at Wargames Illustrated. Today (4th January 2021) was the initial deadline for submission of material by my Billhooks "International Brigade" and that looks to be on schedule from what I have seen so far. The current plan is to cover Ireland, Scotland, Wales, Portugal, France, Burgundy, Switzerland, Italy and Bohemia with special rules and at least one scenario for each setting together with a modelling masterclass and how to scale up to big battle WOTR. Final content of the card deck is still up for discussion. When I know anything more I will post it here.