Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:09:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686456
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Atlantic Plastic Afghan Warriors Review  (Read 3481 times)

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
Re: Wargames Atlantic Plastic Afghan Warriors Review
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2020, 03:46:17 PM »
Thanks, here is a picture of the proposed sculpts for the cavalry. I think they look great and can’t wait for them to be produced.

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2020, 11:29:17 PM »
They are nice of course ..very nice ..But at risk to be considered, even this time 😏, a mood breaker ..I must say that they appear to represent tribal cavalry and even if those minis  are well designed they are , in my opinion , quite useless if you want to game (as I do) historically based battles..or even skirmishes..I ve read quite a few sources on the NWF even rare ones but I never, really never heard anything about actions in which mounted tribesmen were met by Anglo-Indian troops ..except of course Polo matches
« Last Edit: September 27, 2020, 11:31:46 PM by italwars »

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 01:00:58 AM »
I’m wondering if they might not make decent stand-ins for Baluchi/Balochi cavalry, wo certainly did see action against Indian Army cavalry, vis Meeanee/Miani 1843.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
Oooh, that's marvelous. I am going  to ask again are there any sprues from any comapny with Mk. I Enfields? I've been googling myself silly trying to find someting to kitbash these Afghans with.

Offline JArgo

• Librarian
  • Hamburg, Germany
    • Der Inselaffe
« Reply #19 on: September 29, 2020, 10:57:19 AM »
Oooh, that's marvelous. I am going  to ask again are there any sprues from any comapny with Mk. I Enfields? I've been googling myself silly trying to find someting to kitbash these Afghans with.

Warlord have sprues with Enfields but I guess theyre not Mk 1's - are there big differences?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: September 29, 2020, 11:14:49 AM »
If he means the MLE rather than the SMLE Mk1, then yes, they do look pretty different.

In my blissful ignorance about all things ballistic, to me the SMLEs are all pretty much the same, at least in 28mm. I don't care to get too bothered about their differences at that size. But the MLE is a different beast. You wouldn't really muddle them up.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #21 on: September 29, 2020, 01:56:05 PM »
I was trying to explain to my wife the other day that I could not possibly use matchlock guns on figures that should have flintlocks on one of our projects. She said... meh, at that size, a gun is a gun. I did not see her roll her eyes but it sounded like an eye rolling tone of voice.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2020, 08:18:40 PM »
If he means the MLE rather than the SMLE Mk1, then yes, they do look pretty different.

In my blissful ignorance about all things ballistic, to me the SMLEs are all pretty much the same, at least in 28mm. I don't care to get too bothered about their differences at that size. But the MLE is a different beast. You wouldn't really muddle them up.

I mean the SMLE No 1 Mk I or III, which had a distinctly snub nose was produced in huge numbers for WWI. The British WWII plastic kits I’ve seen carry SMLE No4 mk I. Call me a button counter, I’d notice the difference.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2020, 08:48:49 PM by Hammers »

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2020, 08:49:45 PM »
I was trying to explain to my wife the other day that I could not possibly use matchlock guns on figures that should have flintlocks on one of our projects. She said... meh, at that size, a gun is a gun. I did not see her roll her eyes but it sounded like an eye rolling tone of voice.

The sound of eyes rolling is the worst...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2020, 09:00:09 PM »
Okay, I guess you're a button counter then. Nothing wrong with that in my book. To my untrained eye the first few marks all look the same, nose-wise. The mk III and III* are the ones that were largely used in the Great War, as far as I'm aware (though honestly I'm not very aware at all when it comes to guns).

My head spins with Lee-Enfields, anyway. What with the MLE, the LEC, CLLE, SMLE mk I, II,III, III*,  V, Rifle No.1 mk VI,  Rifle no.4, 5 and.... Oh hell, that's where my tired and wonky brain gives up and I throw my hands in the air.

But I get you. You want the Great War one with the shorter nose, rather than the 1930s-40s+ one. Not sure I've seen any of those separately available. But then, I haven't looked...