Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:40:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 2nd Battalion 60th Rifles (Kings Royal Rifle Corps) Battle of Kandahar 1880  (Read 1626 times)

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
2nd Battalion 60th Rifles (Kings Royal Rifle Corps) Battle of Kandahar / Battle of Baba Wali – 1 September 1880

Building this unit for Mad Guru's 140th Anniversary of the Battle of Kandahar 1880 game.

For this project I decided to start with a unit of 28mm British colonial infantry, one of the plastic Perry Miniatures kits that I had gotten from a friend. These were already built and painted but needed touch ups, re-basing, and changes to make them the 2nd Battalion 60th Rifles – Kings Royal Rifle Corps 1880.

Here's the blog post;
https://sgtguinness.blogspot.com

Offline marco55

• Mastermind
Re: 2nd Battalion 60th Rifles (Kings Royal Rifle Corps) Battle of Kandahar 1880
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 03:03:00 AM »
They look good Jeff.
Mark

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 05:31:06 AM »
Nicely done. I happen to live in Hampshire (the old one not the new one across the Atlantic) and we have the Rifles museum in our county which is a great visit your post has reminded me its been a while since I've visited and really should go again.   

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 07:01:52 AM »
Beautiful work, Jeff!  I remember the day a -- maybe a month ago? -- when those gorgeous 60th Riflemen arrived at my place, together with their 3rd Sikh comrades-in-arms!  Can't thank you enough for sharing them, not to mention specially repainting them to serve as the KRRC at Kandahar. 

Diablo Jon: wish I could you join you for that visit to the Rifles Museum!
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2020, 08:00:48 AM »
Fab brushwork  8)

.....and also very useful uniform info :)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2020, 08:16:15 AM »

Diablo Jon: wish I could you join you for that visit to the Rifles Museum!

It seems there are now two rifle museums on the site one for the original royal green jackets and a second one that was called the light infantry museum when I lasted visited but due to changes in the modern British army has been renamed the rifles muesum

Even better right next door is the Gurkha Museum and around the corner is the Hampshire regimental museum. All set in a Victorian military barracks ( now masquerading as high end housing)

https://www.winchestersmilitaryquarter.org/

The green jacket muesum has a pretty good website with photo archives.

http://rgjmuseum.co.uk/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2020, 08:48:26 AM »
Man, you seem to be drowning in museums, there. :)

All my life I've lived pretty near to the museum of the 24th Foot, and yet unbelievably I have never been there (some Colonial Adventures moderator I turned out to be, right?). That was all due to change this spring with a little trip down to Brecon (was going to go to Barry Island too, never been there either).

Unfortunately this never occurred due to the 'the pirates.' Sorry, that's what we call covid 19 - all due to my niece's mishearing or misunderstanding of the word 'virus.'

"Got to stay at home because of the pirates. " Really don't know what she imagines is happening in her head. I should't be so fippant about a serious matter I suppose, but you have to laugh, else you'll cry. As for the musuem, oh well, maybe next year.

Edit: Spelling!
« Last Edit: September 03, 2020, 10:52:23 AM by Plynkes »
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2020, 08:57:15 AM »
Also, those guys look great, JBaumal. Good work!

Sorry, so busy going on about pirates I forgot to say that.

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2020, 02:18:13 PM »
Plynkes get yourself down to the RRW museum before they move to another location in the town. I’ve visited many many times and a lot of my painted figures are on display in the huge Rorkes Drift Diorama. It’s a superb museum but it’s running into financial difficulties and it’s only a question of time before they move out which will be a great shame. I’ve been going there since I was a lad and will miss it when it’s gone.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2020, 02:24:06 PM »
I'd love to, but I can't really risk it while the pirates are still about. Haven't actually checked to see if they are currently open either.

Hope I do get to see your figures. Would be a damn shame to miss out forever because of all this Covid business.

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2020, 05:46:31 PM »
Plynkes totally agree the Pirate plague has to come first for health reasons. They are open but you have to book a time slot so those pesky pirates can’t get you  ;)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2020, 07:41:01 PM »
Man, you seem to be drowning in museums, there. :)

All my life I've lived pretty near to the museum of the 24th Foot, and yet unbelievably I have never been there (some Colonial Adventures moderator I turned out to be, right?). That was all due to change this spring with a little trip down to Brecon (was going to go to Barry Island too, never been there either).

Unfortunately this never occurred due to the 'the pirates.' Sorry, that's what we call covid 19 - all due to my niece's mishearing or misunderstanding of the word 'virus.'

"Got to stay at home because of the pirates. " Really don't know what she imagines is happening in her head. I should't be so fippant about a serious matter I suppose, but you have to laugh, else you'll cry. As for the musuem, oh well, maybe next year.

Edit: Spelling!

I've been to the 24th foot museum I went during a family holiday to Crickhowell (which has a great hill fort to boot) it's a great regimental museum. The day I went it was being manned by an ex squaddie of the 24th a very proud Welsh fellow who seemed to take some delight in telling people everything that was wrong about the film Zulu  lol

As for being awash with museums Hampshire is great for military stuff you have Aldershot, Portsmouth dockyards, the Solent castle/fort defences, Army Flying Museum at Middle Wallop, Royal Marine museum, the museum of Naval Firepower and the Submarine museum and across the border in Dorset you have one of my favourite museums ever Bovington tank museum

Though thanks to the pirates I haven't been visiting any recently.. :?

Sorry for the thread hijack JBaumal

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2020, 07:50:53 PM »
Jon that would be Bill Cainan the former curator. We put the Rorkes Drift display Diorama together using our own painted figures !! Top man  :)