Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:34:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689606
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Skinners and Cowboys - Westchester in the AWI  (Read 24301 times)

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
Re: Skinners and Cowboys - Westchester in the AWI
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2020, 10:41:03 PM »
The classic thing to use for miniature leaves are the seed pods from white birch trees.  And NOW is the time to gather them.  Let them dry if they're not dry already, and break them apart.  You'll get tons of "leaves".
And, they're FREE.

By the way, your bases look fine.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2020, 02:27:08 AM »
For the basic first layer ground flocking, I use a lot of cinnamon tea (Bigelows brand here).  After enjoying the tea, I let the bags dry out for a few days, then break open the pile and give the leaves a thorough drying and sterilising in the microwave.

Takes a little experimentation to get the right timing to dry them thoroughly without getting to the point of starting a smouldering fire...

Offline kingsmt

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2020, 09:19:13 AM »
Good grief, JW. I just caught this and realized it was you

Use the assorted spices mixture for Fall NY ground cover.
Mix your own by raiding the spice rack.
Oregano is good. Anything that resemble leaf scatter
Mix in some twigs broken up into tiny, tiny pieces as if they were small sticks in 28 mm scale.

See you at the outpost

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2020, 06:16:07 PM »
A really engaging project  8)

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2020, 05:40:25 PM »
Thanks to all for the suggestions.  I will try to make use of some of them as I progress.  But I cheated a bit and used some woodland scenics autumn foliage.

The classic thing to use for miniature leaves are the seed pods from white birch trees.  And NOW is the time to gather them.  Let them dry if they're not dry already, and break them apart.  You'll get tons of "leaves".
And, they're FREE.

By the way, your bases look fine.

Thanks for the advice.  I have used birch and beech mast on my LotR collection but have never managed to get it to lie naturally.

I think it's a bit crude but at least at a distance gives the right effect.  I guess the trick is not to overdo it or it looks too garish.

DeLancey's are done btw.
Now what is this whole life of mortals but a sort of comedy, in which the various actors, disguised by various costumes and masks, walk on and play each one his part, until the manager waves them off the stage?

http://stokefield.blogspot.com/

http://wellrallyonceagain.blogspot.com/

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2020, 09:57:05 PM »
Very nicely done and a great project. I've been looking for a red-coated Loyalist regiment to add in as I have a greencoated unit and another in the pipeline.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2020, 05:05:49 AM »
Well it works for me. They are a good looking gang.  :D
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2020, 09:34:17 PM »
Next unit is on the workbench!  Scammel's Light Infantry.

Just some greenstuff to bring the uniforms into line with those of the typical Continental Light Infantry.  I couldn't find a definite description of the appearance of Scammel's men, but since they were drawn primarily from the New England light infantry, it's highly likely their uniforms were as good as identical. 

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2020, 11:33:38 PM »
Looks like they will be a nice foil to DeLancey Tories.  lol

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2020, 05:53:11 PM »
Have been a bit slow lately in working on this project but was able to finish the 5th NY this weekend.  All in all I am quite pleased with them.

The design on the drum, a sun in splendor, is conjectural, but I saw it on a 54mm 5th NY drummer and thought it looked great (though the tensioners hide much of it).

Next up, the light infantry and some scenery.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2020, 10:04:15 PM »
A sold looking crew.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #41 on: November 16, 2020, 02:46:34 AM »
Looking very nice.

There was an item that slipped my mind under the autumnal flocking question.  A key bit that I use for the bottom layer of mine is crushed walnut shells.  I got a pound or two bag in the terrarium aisle of the pet store for a couple of bucks; gave away several tubs to club mates, and still have several lifetimes' supply left.  It's particularly nice for smoothing the ledge twixt figure and base.

In other Westchester news, watched a great lecture on Zoom today, "Tarrytown: Traitors and Spies, Patriots and Allies, British Boats and Hessian Ghosts!" It was recorded and a video should be online sometime soon.  I suspect it will be on this YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQOMXjRq2pXu71gy2k8TvRg

Revolutionary Westchester 250 has already begun the run up to the 250th anniversary events.

Offline Gangleri

• Scientist
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2021, 04:58:10 PM »
Hello all,

Work continues slowly but steadily on this project.  I was able recently to finish the next detachment, Scammell's Light Infantry.  This regiment was formed from recruits from New England light infantry units and given to Alexander Scammell, adjutant general to George Washington, who had requested a combat command. The outfit was stationed along the Neperhan in western Westchester in the summer of 1781 and then led the great march down to Virginia later in the year.  Scammell himself was mortally wounded at the storming of Yorktown.

The regiment was formed very late in the war but is generic enough to represent any of the other Continental light infantry formations.

Information on the uniform is scare but it is a safe bet that they would have looked very similar to the other Continental light regiments from which Scammell's was recruited.  I kept the distinctive caps (with added cockades, plumes, etc) taken from the Perry American box, added shoulder scales, but omitted the chevrons seen on some light infantry uniforms. 

They are mainly Perry plastic American bodies with a mix of Perry arms (including some from the dismounted French dragoons).

C&C welcome.

Offline Ceeteegee

• Librarian
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2021, 09:36:56 PM »
Great paintwork and a very nice looking unit. Your use of the Perry Miniatures figures works very well.  I'm taking notes

Offline vtsaogames

• Mastermind
    • Corlears Hook Fencibles
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2021, 09:44:58 PM »
Very nice job on the figures and basing.

In passing, Division Street in the Lower East Side of Manhattan was the dividing line between the Rutgers (Whig) and Delancey (Tory) estates. Nearby Delancey Street is still a major east-west street downtown.
And the glorious general led the advance
With a glorious swish of his sword and his lance
And a glorious clank of his tin-plated pants. - Dr. Seuss

My blog: http://corlearshookfencibles.blogspot.com/