Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:44:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: [KICKSTARTER] Dungeons & Lasers 2  (Read 1268 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
[KICKSTARTER] Dungeons & Lasers 2
« on: September 04, 2020, 12:32:45 PM »
I am not sure if this is the best place to post this but Archon Studios only has a few days left on their Dungeons and Lasers 2 Kickstarter. It has Fantasy and sci-fi themed terrain. It is easy to miss out on kickstarters in my opinion so that is why I am posting here. If there is a better spot please let me know.

The 99 dollar pledge seems pretty cost effective, with the basic dungeon, three themed rooms, a dragon (the xenodragon is a pretty wild design if you are more sci-if than fantasy) and quite a few assorted stretch goal freebies. Much better freebies than the recent Dwarven forge Kickstarter in my opinion.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudio/dungeons-and-lasers-second-edition/
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 01:30:40 PM by Westfalia Chris »
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: [KICKSTARTER] Dungeons & Lasers 2
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2020, 12:51:15 PM »
I have backed this one (for the Vault rooms) and was a backer on the original one.

Given all the bad press around the previous incarnation of Archon Studios there was an element of risk to that first campaign but credit where it is due they have proved to be an excellent company to deal with.
The plastic clip together dungeon pieces are really great, very well detailed, clean, strong and durable mouldings. The design (which went through several iterations after backer feedback) works really well given the limitations of 2d fabrication (no curves or bends).
Their customer service was first rate and they dealt with the problems caused by the actions of the UPS couriers very fairly.

I am less enthusiastic about some of the design choices on this campaign; the windows in the Temple theme? and I do not think the mine theme works at all, the walls should be substantially thicker. More like mine workings and less like movie set facades.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2020, 02:10:49 PM »
Yeah, there are only the two dragons I like. The xenodragon, which I really do not need, and Durkar, although I do not like its basing.

My wife and I agree about the mine. We want to like it but it is just too thin. I was thinking maybe if you do not use them for interior sectioning they might work ok.

Same thing with the Dwarven themed Hall of Heroes.

I do not know how these would look used in conjunction with my Dwarven Forge cavern pieces but they are just so much more affordable than DF.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2020, 08:49:29 PM »
I went all "sci fi" for the first round as I was sure the Archon dungeon would not work with my Itar's Workshop (Hirst Arts base) Dungeon pieces. Nor do I think it would work with the overpriced Dwarven Forge stuff.

For someone who wants to start dungeon gaming from scratch the Archon sets would be excellent, especially if storage space is an issue as these really do pack flat and are tough enough to reassemble a lot of times without breaking.

Something like a "Space Hulk" or "Star Saga" type set up in 3d would be very easy with the sci-fi options and for that the thin walls are an advantage.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2020, 04:37:34 AM »
I very much see the use for the sci-fi sets, even my wife likes the look of them but we are committed to a vast collection of Battle Systems Terrain already for our sci-fi needs.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2020, 10:59:50 PM »
Ton of stuff.

First D&L KS. Going with a $99 pledge (5-headed dragon, fantasy core, cathedral, torture room, warlock room) plus $20 Legacy SG, $10 doors, and $5 add-ons.

Concept art from update : https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/archonstudio/dungeons-and-lasers-second-edition/posts/2946477

Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/