Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 04:30:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689479
  • Total Topics: 118281
  • Online Today: 568
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 417
Total: 423

Recent

Author Topic: The Future is Now! Terrain Inspiration, Container Hab Block.  (Read 1224 times)

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
The Future is Now! Terrain Inspiration, Container Hab Block.
« on: October 03, 2020, 09:55:08 PM »
So at my deployed location we are very fortunate to live in these Shipping Container Hab-Blocks, Called CLUs for Container Living Units. Since my ability to do too much in the hobby is quite limited I thought I'd share these as I think they make some great terrain inspiration.

Each CLU is divided in half with a wall creating two separate, and identical, living spaces. They have a single door on either end with a window in the door. Most of us cover this up for privacy and to block out the light if day sleepers. Each living space contains two sleeping nooks, a nook with a built in desk, two dressers, 1 AC unit, and 1 de-humidifier. The sleeping nooks have a bed with built in storage underneath. They also have shelf that runs the length of the nook and a single florescent light at 1 end.
The CLUs are arranged in blocks of 1 to 3 levels and 10-20 units long. Most levels have a single container that is a bathroom facility with showers, stalls, sinks, and urinals. Their are some CLUs set up for 1 occupant and have their own bathroom or a shared bathroom between the two living spaces. They are reserved for Officers and Senior Enlisted only. Each Block of CLUs is given a letter identifier, A Block to Z Block.

The base also uses a large number of Container Work Units or CWUs but we don't call them that since it does not roll off the tongue as well.
The ones on the right hand side of the picture are for contractors and seem to be set up differently. The access doors are on the sides and they have a window on either side. Not sure about heir internal layout/division.

Comment Guidelines:
1. For security reason I will not go into detail about were I am. You can use some basic Googleing with the information I have provided and narrow it down yourself if you want. If you do know/have been here I ask that you refrain naming it yourself. While not specifically an OPSEC (Operational Security) risk, naming the location could limit the amount of other information I can share.
2. This is not meant to be a political post or a grab for attention. I am just trying to stay connected to the hobby while here. I ask that all comments be restricted to hobby relevant topics.
3. For those who want to thank me for my service or wish me stay safe, I sincerely thank you for your support. I know there are plenty veterans and active duty on here from many different countries. Know that your good wishes and kind thoughts are felt but can go unsaid in the post. However if you are a brother or sister in arms or a military supporter and want to reminisce or talk about such things feel free to send me a PM.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
Re: The Future is Now! Terrain Inspiration, Container Hab Block.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 09:35:58 AM »
Interesting post.

Are they are 40 foot containers?

I assume the first floor container is a bathroom unit (from the plumbing), I hope the ground floor one is not accomodation - noting the rust/damp running down it and the collection of Aircon units.

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 04:59:40 PM »
Yes the first one in the bottom and middle row are the bathroom units and the only bathroom units in the whole block. So if you are like me and live on the 3rd floor at the other end you have a bit of a walk every time.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 05:54:20 PM »
Thanks, now I know, I can see the plumbing on the ground floor one (should have looked more closely at the second photograph ^__^).

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 08:47:23 PM »
Some additional shot of the inside:

From the back wall looking towards the door. The curtains close off each sleeping nook. We put them up ourselves.

The back wall with built in desk. My roommate has kindly given me full use of it for painting when work permits.

My sleeping area.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 09:30:45 PM »
Very interesting, thanks for sharing. I'd never really thought about how the military live when deployed - I guess I just thought of the barrack room shown in B&W films.

So do 4 people live in each container? And you go out one end, to one set of balcony and stairs. And the other pair go out the other side?

Are these mainly sleeping spaces, so the lack of windows isn't to much of a thing?

Seems very little in the way of bathroom provision - or are you on shifts so that not everyone is trying to have a shower at 8am?

Offline racm32

• Mastermind
    • Wyndehurst Productions
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »
So this is a fairly built up deployed base. The smaller posts closer to the "front lines" will have only tents.

There are 4 people per container, 2 per side with doors at either end and a wall dividing the whole thing in half. And yes, each half is accessed by the balcony down the side.

They are mainly sleeping spaces and quite a few of us, myself included, work nights. There is a window in the door but we tape over it to make the room darker for day sleeping and reduce the heat coming in. We work lots of different shifts. Some of our units brake the day up into 3 8hr shifts if their is enough manning. Other units work 12 on and 12 off. I have never had to wait in line to use a sink, toilet, or shower.

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2020, 08:01:01 AM »
I have never had to wait in line to use a sink, toilet, or shower.

That's good to hear - in halls of residence at uni, with about 5 or 6 people sharing a shower, you often had to wait.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2020, 07:11:06 PM »
So ready player one habs are here!