Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:02:19 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dune 2020  (Read 6476 times)

Offline Karadek

• Scientist
    • Xenia Gamers Club
Re: Dune 2020
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2020, 05:54:32 PM »
https://youtu.be/n9xhJrPXop4

Goose bumps all over. The imagery, the atmosphere, Pink Floyd's Eclipse...wow.

Dang. I was excited before. Now, I can't wait!

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 06:50:29 PM »
OK, I'm not sure if I could love DV much more than I already do, and I was feeling very excited about Dune.... until I just watched the trailer. Why? I really can't say, it's not like anything looked wrong  in the trailer or anything

. Perhaps Nic is right and the ponderousness of Dune minus the Lynch touch of the earlier film might make for a perfectly executed but ultimately boring film with a couple of epic battles popped in there. Hmmmmmmm.

I have a friend who is certain Dune 2020 is going to be awful (he thought the same about Blade Runner 2049 too coincidentally) due to his massive fondess for the Lynch film, think he may have influenced me more than I thought. By Sting's Eagle Scot Strap!

Offline rwwin

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 07:14:30 PM »
. Perhaps Nic is right and the ponderousness of Dune minus the Lynch touch of the earlier film might make for a perfectly executed but ultimately boring film with a couple of epic battles popped in there. Hmmmmmmm.

It's been a long time so I might be misremembering, but that's how I felt about the 2000 miniseries.  Yeah it was more faithful to the books, but it was a 6 hour slog.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 07:28:34 PM »
Never loved the Lynch version, it always felt somehow unfinished to me. This one looks better in some ways, although, oh dear - Jason Momoa and Oscar Isaac... Might be a bit hammy... Also the obligatory shot of the legions of evil ranked up by their landing ships... Have seen it soooo many times now. I hope they don’t give in to too many space opera stock shots like that. Feels ever so derivative.
I thought the production / wardrobe design of the Lynch movie got both the Fremen and the Sardaukar wrong compared to what’s described in the novels. Be interesting to see if they do better this time round.

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2020, 07:33:49 PM »
but I'd say the Lynch version is not well-liked by hardcore Dune aficionados.

Its very much like the Arnie/Milius Conan movie in that the Lynch movie is *so* stylish that unless you could somehow match that quality of vision *whatever* you make is going to come off as a poor imitation.

So if you want make a Dune movie or a Conan movie... or I think the same of King Arthur and Excalibur (possibly these are all just films I saw at a certain age :-) ) you would not only have to say what you want to say with the movie (more shields! highlighting whatever it was *you* liked in the books! Whatever!) you would also need to make movies more *stylish* than Lynch Dune, Milius Conan or Boorman Excalibur which... you can’t *set out* to make things more stylish than those movies. It’s like telling someone you need an Ennio Morricone score, but better.

It can’t be done. Not to order.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:36:04 PM by Dezmond »

Offline Dezmond

• Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2020, 07:39:39 PM »
This one looks better in some ways

But does it have

https://youtu.be/tDbpmyuY-D8

And if not *what good is it?* :-)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2020, 08:10:58 PM »
Ah yes, it had that  lol
Definite echoes of ‘Hurry boy, it’s waiting there for you’...

After the Lord of the Rings trilogy, I was desperate for Peter Jackson to acquire the rights to make a Dune trilogy.
After the Hobbit trilogy, I was quite glad he didn’t.
Think Weta would have done an awesome job on the outfits and gear though.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2020, 08:28:54 PM »
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but who is playing Feyd-Rautha? I saw nothing of him in the trailers. Rabban seems to take a prominent role in the trailers, but no Barron (that I caught) and no Feyd. I need me some flying fat man!

All things considered, I think they did an ok job of casting with the modern group of action actors. The only real 1:1 swap I see in the whole group is Josh Brolin/Patrick Stewart. I can really get behind that casting. The only cast members I'd rather not see are Momoa and Zendaya. Not a fan of either of them in films I've seen. Maybe I'll get lucky and they will have very little screen time lol

Offline bollix

• Bookworm
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2020, 10:20:58 PM »
I'm a hard core Dune fan since the '70s.

Can I really be the only one here who thinks the Lynch adaptation was an utter abomination, while the 2000 SciFi adaptation was inspired and sublime?

I will admit that the special effects in tne new version's trailer are incredible, as is to be expected with the advances in the state of the art, but the conceptual art is lacking. They are overdoing the CGI effects to compensate for lack of artistic vision.

And finally, just to make myself even less popular for this post - I do like the Pink Floyd song, but this rendition utterly sucked as a backdrop to the trailer.

This movie will technically succeed at the box office, and will have some good elements, but I am skeptical that it will be better than the SciFi miniseries.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2020, 04:24:18 AM »
Maybe I missed it somewhere, but who is playing Feyd-Rautha? I saw nothing of him in the trailers. Rabban seems to take a prominent role in the trailers, but no Barron (that I caught) and no Feyd. I need me some flying fat man!

The Baron is definitely in there, he's being played by Stellan Skarsgård. You can see him at one point in a bath, but he's definitely not central to the current trailer.

The IMDB Full Cast & Crew is currently incomplete, however does not list Feyd-Rautha. There was a rumour certulating that Tye Sheridan would take the role, but that's been dismissed as false. I half wonder if Feyd won't be present in this portrayal, instead placing more emphasis on Glossu 'Beast' Rabban. This is purely speculation on my behalf, but the position could be supported by him having a relatively central part in the new trailer.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2020, 05:19:46 AM »
I just saw the new trailer... looked good to me. Not perfect but pretty good with some real potential. Maybe it is my prejudices at play but it did seem to have a bit of angsty millennial vibe going on with Paul. Maybe it was the music?

I liked the movie but preferred the tv miniseries as more true to the book. I only ever read the first book but I liked it well enough. Just not enough to read the rest of the series.

BR 2049 was ok, which surprised me as I expected to hate it. But it was only ok, not the timeless classic that the original tears in rain movie was.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline smirnoff

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2020, 06:01:19 AM »
cor. That looks a bit good

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2020, 06:29:36 AM »
I really live the David Lynch film, but the SyFy miniseries was closer to the books.

Denis Villeneuve is an excellent director, and with the Arrival amd Bladerunner 2049 hes shown he can do intelligent sci fi. I thought the new Bladerunner was going to be awful and was pleasantly surprised, so I'm confident he can do something interesting with Dune.

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2020, 06:45:33 AM »
I thing it looks great.

One minor thing that nags me though is that Paul says in the beginning of the trailer that a Crusade is comming. He really should have said a Jihad is comming. But in todays world that might be to much for Hollywood hobnobs to stomach.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2020, 06:59:15 AM »
Maybe it is my prejudices at play but it did seem to have a bit of angsty millennial vibe going on with Paul.

It’s Timothée Chalamet... Tinseltown’s go-to angsty millennial du jour. So the vibe is not too surprising :)

One minor thing that nags me though is that Paul says in the beginning of the trailer that a Crusade is comming. He really should have said a Jihad is comming. But in todays world that might be to much for Hollywood hobnobs to stomach.

Yes, I noticed that too. The Fremen’s jihad was clearly modelled on the Islamic idea of holy war in Herbert’s novels. But I guess with all that has transpired in the real world over the last 25 years, that would be too close to the bone. Crusade is an unfortunate choice of word though, given that context  ::)