Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:31:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: TtS - Rome v's Macedonia  (Read 1041 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
TtS - Rome v's Macedonia
« on: September 06, 2020, 10:10:24 AM »
I played another solo game of To The Strongest. This one was much larger than my first try and the game was smooth easy and took only a couple of hours to play to a conclusion. I'm really impressed by these rules. They are simple yet very playable and the game really had the feel of a big battle.

I did a full battle report on my blog so please have a read: https://this28mmlife.blogspot.com/2020/09/bigger-tts-rome-vs-macedonia.html

Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: TtS - Rome v's Macedonia
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 11:02:43 AM »
Hi, great looking game and a nice write up.  I too am a big fan of TTS and it is my "go-to" set of ancients/medieval  rules. I have resisted the temptation of "Sword and Spear"" and "Mortem et Gloriam" because (a) I don't want the faff of learning a new set (b) I have invested in the kit needed for TTS and (c)  TTs has never really let us down. I am looking forward to v2 which I think is expected early next year.

I too have a Polybian Roman army, but don't use it much and hence am interested in your report .  In one of his lists the author Simon Miller used Legionaries as "small units"/maniples with only 1 hit point, but later said you could increase to larger 2-disorder units. Which version have you used and if so why?

Thanks.

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 12:36:56 PM »
I too have a Polybian Roman army, but don't use it much and hence am interested in your report .  In one of his lists the author Simon Miller used Legionaries as "small units"/maniples with only 1 hit point, but later said you could increase to larger 2-disorder units. Which version have you used and if so why?

Thanks.
Thanks for your positive feedback.
I used the more recent regular sized unit made up of one small unit of hastati and one of principe. He says to place them one line behind the other but I found it looks good and works exactly the same by arranging them in a quincunx formation.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 04:45:30 PM »
Interesting. My experience was the exact opposite. Shows what a diverse hobby it is :)

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 07:08:44 PM »
Hi chaps, the original mechanisms had single-hit units, which we later merged (3 years ago?) into a 2-hit hastati-principes unit.  This March I introduced a new 3-hit deep unit which combines hastati, principes and triarii, which mechanism is, I think, pretty uncommon in wargames rules. You can find this in the spanking new, free, eBook of ancient army lists here: https://bigredbatshop.co.uk/collections/all/products/tts-ancient-army-lists-9-8-20

Cheers, Simon

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2020, 10:46:57 PM »
Hi chaps, the original mechanisms had single-hit units, which we later merged (3 years ago?) into a 2-hit hastati-principes unit.  This March I introduced a new 3-hit deep unit which combines hastati, principes and triarii, which mechanism is, I think, pretty uncommon in wargames rules. You can find this in the spanking new, free, eBook of ancient army lists here: https://bigredbatshop.co.uk/collections/all/products/tts-ancient-army-lists-9-8-20

Cheers, Simon

Thanks for the reminder. I did download the new army list book but I never looked at it. I see you've added plenty of designer notes and reference reading. So I'll have a read and then I'll have a rematch to try the new lists/rules.

Offline bigredbat

• Mad Scientist
    • BigRedBatCave
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2020, 06:54:24 AM »
...super- also have a look at the Even Stronger supplement if you haven't seen it, there are some great extra rules and tweaks in there.