Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 05:33:44 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689308
  • Total Topics: 118272
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin - First Foray into Wargaming (Now w/ the Undead!)  (Read 16563 times)

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
Re: Ronin - First Foray into Wargaming and a Playset Complete! (Now with Oni!)
« Reply #30 on: October 19, 2020, 09:11:25 PM »
Thanks for the run-down dad! Yeah for a tabularized break-down we play with:

Bandits:
- Leader (30 points): Naginata, Heavy Armor, 1 Attribute
- Senior Ronin (40): Naginata, Heavy Armor, 3 Attributes
- Gashira (28): Teppo, Medium Armor, 1 Attribute
- Gashira (25): Naginata, Medium Armor
- Bandit (18): Yari, Medium Armor
- Bandit (18): Yari, Medium Armor
- Bandit (16): Teppo, Light Armor
- Bandit (16): Yumi, Light Armor
- Peasant (4): Improvised Weapon
- Peasant (4): Improvised Weapon
- Total: 199 Points

Sohei:
- Senior Sohei (37): Tetsubo, 3 Attributes
- Sohei (29): Naginata, 1 Attribute
- Initiate (19): Teppo
- Initiate (19): Teppo
- Initiate (19): Yumi
- Initiate (19): Yumi
- Total: 200 Points

We would definitely be interested in hearing about people's house rules as well! We've been thinking about integrating some En Garde rules as well as some house rules, as Metternich mentioned.

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #31 on: October 19, 2020, 10:18:11 PM »
Hi,
many thanks for the lists as well as the reason behind your house rules. I think the Rank 4 Ronin explained a lot of the bandits success, this is a powerful character in a 200 point game.
We agree the naginata is a killer weapon. Why  then take a No-Dachi? Because it is cool! For me, Ronin isn't a competitive game, it is story-driven, so sometimes one mighty warrior HAS to use a No-Dachi!

Using some En Garde rules in Ronin sounds like a good idea. Somewhere i read the author himself said En Garde is a kind of refined Ronin 2.0 and a possible 2nd Edition of Ronin will bring the rules in line with En Garde.

Enjoy your games!

Offline Bloof

• Schoolboy
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2020, 10:43:31 PM »
The En Garde rules for injuries are better, so are:
the extra point for naginata if you don't use house rules
the turn sequence is better
- 1 shooting for light wound
Improvised weapon -1 attack
A few more tweaks

I don't like the new 'tricks' like parry, riposte, etc they just do NOT make any sense with japanese fighting techniques (see below).

House rules:
Yari & nagae-yari have +1 attack against mounted
Katana +1 attack against no armour or light/medium armour
Nodachi +1 attack, +2 attack against mounted
Naginata +1 init, +1 attack against heavy armour and mounted troops

Optional house rule:
Bujutsu of amy kind allows the model to use Attack and Defense counters interchangeably.

The last one is because in kenjutsu/kendo/other bujutsu, there is no such thing as defense. Every parry or avoid of any kind is automatically followed by an attack. Just parrying gives an opening to strike from the attacker. Only beginners parry for the sake of parrying. This is why all the tricks in En Garde make sense for Mousquetaires but not samurais. Every enhancement of a defense is a riposte. The only one that makes sense is a feint attack, maybe. In kendo an attack technique consists in putting pressure on the opponent to provoque an attack that you know is coming and then attacking quicker.
All in all those En Garde enhancements just don't make sense to me for japanese fighting.

I don't think the naginata should be so much better than the rest, the +1 attack should be only against mounted or heavy armoured troops.
A katana can slice through anything unarmoured, including the bits unprotected in light or medium armour, a naginata is much easier for piercing or targeting a small chink in the armour.
It is virtually impossible to control a katana for a precise piercing into a small opening, the hands are too close together (european swords had a portion of the blade closer to the handle that was not sharp, this helps use one hand on the blade for a much better control for piercing, not the katanas).

The damage power of a cutting weapon does NOT come from strength at all or how heavy the weapon is. It comes from proper technique but more importantly from the velocity of the blade. A katana achieves this much more than a naginata: the length of the handle enables the rotatio  of the wrists around a pivot in the middle of the handle, enabling great velocity at the cutting edge (last 1/3 of the blade) with very little movement. The naginata just cannot do that without a much larger movement, losing speed and initiative.
Watch katana vs naginata youtube videos to see how quickly a katana can strike.
If you cut properly with a katana you will not even feel the cut, it will just pass through without any effort and without the wielder using any strength, just speed and technique.
Watch tameshigiri videos.

So in conclusion, the katana should be a better weapon against light or no armour, the naginata a better weapon against heavy armour and mounted opponents, the nodachi is just ridiculously big and is the best weapon against mounted troops to just slash and destroy a mount and a cavalier with a large strong impact.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2020, 12:35:17 AM »
Hi,
many thanks for the lists as well as the reason behind your house rules. I think the Rank 4 Ronin explained a lot of the bandits success, this is a powerful character in a 200 point game.
We agree the naginata is a killer weapon. Why  then take a No-Dachi? Because it is cool! For me, Ronin isn't a competitive game, it is story-driven, so sometimes one mighty warrior HAS to use a No-Dachi!

Using some En Garde rules in Ronin sounds like a good idea. Somewhere i read the author himself said En Garde is a kind of refined Ronin 2.0 and a possible 2nd Edition of Ronin will bring the rules in line with En Garde.

Enjoy your games!

Ronin is definitely more 'themed for Samurai movies, but En Garde!'s rules are a bit tighter.  I would recommend using the lists and traits from Ronin, and using En Garde! as the general rules for the game.

They are, essentially, the same game.  En Garde! just has a few rules tweaks/clean up, and some rules that are more thematic for Douglas Fairbanks/Errol Flynn.  Either is brilliant for any number of periods (we've used En Garde!, with a few tweaks for shields, for Hoplite, Viking, Saxon, Norman, etc combat).

Either way, for small unit/individual model combat, you won't be disappointed.

I will say that high rank models are brutal, even when faced with an equal number of stones/cp in lower ranks (a Level III samurai will more than hold his own vs 3 rank I scrubs).  I will agree that is works best with a narrative.  The ninja assassination mission, defending/raiding a village, assaulting a tea house, searching for loot, etc. makes the game SO much more fun.

We have a couple batreps, most involving one of my crazy scenarios, here:
https://www.wfhgs.com/PDFFILES/wo42.pdf
https://www.wfhgs.com/PDFFILES/wo41.pdf
https://www.wfhgs.com/PDFFILES/wo39.pdf
https://www.wfhgs.com/PDFFILES/wo38.pdf
https://www.wfhgs.com/PDFFILES/wo36.pdf

En Garde for Viking age combat:
https://www.wfhgs.com/PDFFILES/wo43.pdf

Lastly, at 200 point that is a lot of figs for Ronin.  We usually run 100-150 per player, and that is plenty for ~2 hours of action that keeps things moving without it becoming confusing.
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2020, 01:29:07 PM »
Nandrin, Charlemagne and I agree that the Bandit Buntai needs a Senior Ronin to be competitive with the Sohei Buntai in a 200 point game.  The Bandit Leader and two Gashiras are about equal to the three Sohei (who are actually somewhat better, being fearless), and a Senior Sohei is about equal to the Senior Ronin.  Thereafter the Sohei Buntai has four Initiates (fearless and with medium armor), vs. 4  Bandits (poorer morale, and only two with medium armor) plus 2 Peasants ("cannon" fodder with improvised weapons, but useful for helping to pin an enemy figure, block a door, contribute a defence die in close combat, etc.).  Furthermore, the Bandits run the risk of having the Senior Ronin (or any Ronin for that matter) abandon them if their Buntai loses a morale test.  And overall, the Sohei Buntai just has better morale.  The Sohei have the possibility of using a Rank 5 Grandmaster (although the extra cost would mean smaller numbers). 

Offline nandrin

• Librarian
« Reply #35 on: October 24, 2020, 08:28:27 AM »
Hi Metternich,
It is perfectly oaky to play the bandits like that if you both feel comfotable with it! It is your game and you should have fun with it.

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2020, 10:28:37 PM »
Hi everyone, quick update here to show you what I've been working on. Given how much it's been raining lately I haven't been able to varnish and finish the basing but these pictures should give a good idea of what they will look like when finished. I've been finishing my group of 8 villagers set aside to use in 200 point "defend the village games, rounding them out with a petulant looking child, a yamabushi and a Komuso (there is also a sitting villager drinking from a cup who isn't as close to being done). I've also added 5 ninja for use in a modification for the Kenshin Ryu Ronin campaign, and a fantastic samurai in Tengu-style armor from the steel fist range to be used as an appropriately opulent hatamoto or bushou for future bushi buntai (wanted to work on something a bit more complicated after working on the relatively simple ninja for a while). Enjoy!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Wow !  That Tenghu armor is fantastic (in both senses of the word).  The figure is simply striking (which I am sure he also will be doing to my buntai with that fearsome nodachi he is wielding).  Bravo indeed.

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
We play it a lot and here are some of our rules changes and additions, and clarifications.

Ronin new rules
Order of die rolling and enhancing in combat.
First the defender decides on whether or not to enhance, the attacker can then decide to enhance after the defender.
1.   Both players roll the die.
2.   First the attacker removes any extra die (enhanced) then Defender
3.   Attacker decides to reroll or not and does so.
4.   Defender re rolls any die.

ZONE of Control
You cannot move a figure closer than one base width during any movement not just running. If the figure is engaged then he loses the Zone of Control.

Line of sight.
If a figure is firing at another figure and there is not at least ½ base showing then line of sight is blocked, if the line of sight is partially blocked by more than ½ base than the figure is considered being in what ever cover is blocking the line of sight.

Line of sight into a combat, to fire into a combat the same applies as above for blocking line of sight but the cover from another figure will only be considered light cover for the mods. The same rules apply if you miss the target, i.e. fire at another figure in the combat.

Powerful
Powerful attribute when firing a bow (if he has kyujutsu) will also get a +1 to the shooting roll.

Fatigue
Figures that run will check for fatigue, troops in light and no armor do not check for fatigue from running. All figures check for fatigue from fighting.

Unit in heavy armor has a +1 mod to the roll while running only

Mods for Fatigue Check
+1 Heavy armor running
+1 if already one fatigue or more.
+2 if Grievous wound

For 1-3 fatigues there is -1 to fight, initiative and shoot.
For 4-6 fatigues there is -2 to fight, initiative and shoot
For 7-   fatigues there is a -3 to fight initiative and shoot.

To rest and remove fatigue the figure cannot have been in combat, shot at, or run in the turn.
Remove the number of fatigues based on a result for 1d3.

Aquebuse in combat, if a figure armed with an arquebuse fights he will drop the arqubuse, it then takes one CP to change to another weapon.  To pick it up the figure must be in the same spot as the arqubuse was dropped during the Action phase, the figure may not perform any other action.
Yumi in combat. If figure engaged and has yumi in hand he must use one CP to change to another weapon. The figure will not drop the yumi as there was a special carrying compartment in the quiver!
If the figure does not have an Attack CP to change weapons then it fights with an improvised weapon -1 mod.

Multiple figures in combat.
All figures touching enemy count as in the fight, roll for initiative for all the figures to determine the order of combat.

Defend CPs can be shared with any friendly figures that are touching the figure with the Defend CP. In other words the Defend CP cannot be passed to a figure that is further away then the next friendly figure in combat.

DIAGRAMS

Modified movement activation
Use the Kensei cards, roll for initiative for first side to move, roll 1 d6 high number decides who moves first. Draw a card that is the number of figures the gamer may move. If he has a commander the figures under his command do not count toward the number on the card (up to hits rank). (cards are 0-1-2-3)

Climbing high wall.
The figure can spend all of its movement to climb a high wall. It must start its movement in contact with the wall and in the Combat phase, it loses 1 CP, the figure can only use ½ their remaining CPs (Rounded Down) as attacks. Ninja are different and they can use all their CPs any way they want.
Climbing low wall
The figure loses 2” of movement to go over a wall, they cannot run while doing this so normal movement only.

Moving into contact
Any figure moving into contact must move its last 2” straight into contact.

Morale
Buntai reaches 50% of Rank 5-3 with critical wound or dead, there after each time one figure is critically wounded or killed (Rank 5-3 only)  (add here different MC based on type of buntai)
Buntai takes 25% Serious wound or worse in one turn of total starting number of rank 3-5

Poison
If a wound is inflicted with a poison blade then the victim will check at the beginning of each turn, on a 1-2 on a d6 then the wound gets one worse i.e. light wound becomes, serious etc.

Buildings
Doors cost 1” of movement to open, charge thru into contact, but must move last 2” straight.
Windows cost 4” to go thru, may not move into engagement.
Yari/Naginata -2 combat inside buildings.

Wagon Barrier
Defender receives +1 Defense CP +1 initiative,  and it counts as heavy cover vrs shooting. In addition any figure moving over the barricade loses half its move, in order to cross it must start touching the barricade. Fighting, if the defending figure receives a light wound move him back ½ base and the attacker on top of the barricade, now the attacker gets +1 attack CP, +1 attack modifier for spear/Jare etc. Defender gets +1 spear/jari to his attack. If the defender gets serious or worse he is moved back 1 base and the attacker can move into the vacated spot. Defender now gets no advantages.

Ninja speacials (Scenario specific)

Ninja have a couple of special attributes.
1 Stealth, if a Ninja is within rough terrain or touching a building or wall it is +2 to hit when shooting at him
2 Silent Killing stroke. Facing has an implication for Ninja, if they attack a figure from the rear; the ninja gets a free strike, with a +2 to the attack roll. The defender may only use one die in the defense roll and may not use CPs.
3 Rear attack the Ninja gets a +3 on initiative for when attacking the rear of an enemy figure. If he wins the initiative then the defender will not get any CP for the first strike and can only use one die in the defense roll.
4 Climb, he can climb a wall with only -1 inch of movement as penalty, he can get to the top of a building using all his movement, however, if he has a grappling rope then he only loses 3” of movement.
5 Poison blade. If the Ninja cause a wound with a poison blade then the victim will check at the beginning of each turn, on a 1-2 on a d6 then the wound gets one worse i.e. light wound becomes, serious etc.
6 Smoke Bomb, the Ninja can throw a smoke bomb up to 9” it creates a 3” smoke screen that cannot be seen thru.
7 Caltrops, a Ninja can drop caltrops and they become a 2” area, an enemy that moves into the zone will have to stop and spend a turn getting thru the 2” area. However, on a roll of 1 on a d6 the figure can ignore the caltrops.
8 Poison Rice, the Ninja can drop poison rice balls and any figure who passes within 2” will eat the rice ball (hey why waste good food) and will be doubled over for two turns throwing up! Roll a d6 vs. Rank, on a roll of the figures rank or less the rice is just yummy and no effect until the next night when the figure will spend all night on the bamboo shiter!!!!
9 Bomb (grenade) may throw (limited number per scenario 1 d3) it will explode when it lands and will attack any figure within 3” with a 2+ 2d6 vs. defense of figure (the defending figure can deploy his CPs and use one to enhance the defense)
10 Disguise  Ninja can be in disguise and it takes a visibility roll of 5+ to realize that it is a ninja.
11 Blow pipe, poisoned attack at a range of 6”  Normal ranged attack Ninja only has 1 D3 shots.
12 Healing Potion Ninja can remove one wound! 

Costs or random availability will be per Scenario.

Ninjas will also have higher Stats then those in the Ronin Rules. Light wounds do not affect them, but count towards the next step of wound

Rear attacks
A figures must have started his movement behind the attacked figure in order for it to count as a rear attack.
A figure attacked in to the rear will have to use 1 CP to turn, and if the attacker wins the initiative vs. the attacked figure he cannot enhance the first defense action!

Moving into contact
Any figure moving into contact must move its last 2” straight into contact.

Morale
Buntai reaches 50% of Rank 5-3 with critical wound or dead, there after each time one figure is critically wounded or killed (Rank 5-3 only)

Poison
If a wound is inflicted with a poison blade then the victim will check at the beginning of each turn, on a 1-2 on a d6 then the wound gets one worse i.e. light wound becomes, serious etc.

NEW FEB 19th

Push back  If defender suffers serious wound that figure is pushed back a base depth, if not possible they will stay where they are. If the defender is pushed back the figure that caused the wound may follow up for free and occupy the space that the defender vacated ie be in contact with the wounded figure.

Archer sensei
This model may make two shooting attacks with a bow or longbow in the Move Phase, (may not move) though both will suffer a -1 penalty to the Shooting Attack Roll. Can then also fire once in the action phase.

BEGUILING
This model's charisma or rank (e.g. a priest) makes it difficult to attack. Any model wishing to attack this model must first roll lower than its own Rank on a D6. Once a Beguiling model makes an attack against a particular model, that model no longer has to test to attack it in return.

COMMANDER in addition to other rules
If a warband has at least one model with this Attribute, it gets a -1 modifier on any Morale check. Additionally, this model may issue an order to a number of models equal to its Rank that are within 3" (equal or lower ranked only).

FAST addition to ronin ability. +3 points
This model gains +1 Initiative and, once per turn, may make two attacks in succession, contrary to the usual rules.

HORSE MASTER
This model does not receive a Stunned counter if thrown by a mount, and may use a missile weapon while mounted at no penalty.

LUCKY
Only available to Rank 5 models. Once per game, the controller of this model may force a re-roll of any one die rolled as part of a combat (shooting or hand-to-hand) including the Lucky model. This die may have been rolled by the controlling player or by his opponent.

Hojutsu Kyujutsu
This Attribute must be assigned to a specific missile weapon type, such as a . When making a Shooting Attack Roll using the designated weapon, the Sharpshooter may re-roll any one result of 1 or 2. The result of the re-roll must stand.

SCOUT
Scout models may be moved up to 12" before the game begins, as long as this does not contravene any of the other scenario rules. Scouts may start the game Hidden. If the warband has at least one model with this Attribute it adds +2 to the Priority roll in the first turn of the game. If both players have Scouts, the one with the most gets this bonus. If both players have the same number of Scouts, neither side receives the bonus.

LARGE MODELS
Horses, Warhorses and some Oni are large models, and accrue wounds in different ways than standard models:
• If a large model suffers a Light wound, downgrade it to Stunned.
• If it suffers a Grievous wound, downgrade it to a Light wound.
• If it suffers a Critical wound, roll a D6. On a 4+ the model is killed, otherwise downgrade it to a Grievous wound.
• Stunned results are as per the usual rules, but large models automatically (do not roll) discard one Stunned counter in the End Phase
Shooting Attack Rolls have a +1 modifier when targeting a large model.

DEXTERITY CHECK
Certain types of movement and other situations require a model to make a Dexterity Check. To make a Dexterity Check, roll 2D6 and add the model's Initiative. If the model has an Armour Rating of 3 or higher, subtract this number from the result. If the final result is 8 or greater, the check was successful. Models with the Agile Attribute add +2 to their score.

JUMPING
A model may combine movement with a jump move of no more than 1" (i.e. across a fissure or between two buildings). A model may combine a Short move with by a jump of up to 2" so long as it makes a successful Dexterity Check (see below). A failure means that the model will fall (see below).

CLIMBING
A model may make a short move to climb vertically. This will require a Dexterity Check. This movement will require some interpretation and agreement between players about what is appropriate. Generally, one storey of a building or the equivalent is acceptable for one turn of climbing. If in doubt about whether a climb move should be permitted, use the D6 Rule.

FALLING
A model that misses a jump or fails to climb will fall. To determine if any damage has been suffered in a fall, roll 2D6 and add the number of vertical inches that the model has fallen. Subtract 8 from this score, and if the result is positive, refer to the Wound Table (p.17). Armour does not have any effect against damage from falling.

7. ISSUE AN ORDER
Orders allow groups of models to undertake the same action, speeding up game play and/or gaining a tactical advantage. When models with the Commander Attribute are activated, they may issue an order to a certain number of models to perform the same action. The types of orders are:
• Move
• Shoot
• Reload
A Commander may give an order to himself and a number of models equal to his Rank, provided they are within 3" and of equal or lower Rank. So, a Rank 3 Commander could give an order to himself and up to three other Rank 1, 2 or 3models within 3".

DISENGAGE
Attacker only. If the Hit Score is successful, no wound is inflicted, and the Attacker makes a Short move out of contact instead. But will not be able to do so if multiple enemies in contact.

Figure can perform actions in each phase.
Phase 1
   Move 
   Run
   Shoot only if half move or less

Phase 2
   Combat

Phase 3
   Reload if no move or fight in the turn
   Take head if standing over body after combat or moved to body.may short move todo this
   Shoot if half move or less +2 to hit
   Morale check

NEW MOVE
Short move 2” may perform short move may then perform action.
Half move 3”  May half move and shoot.
Normal move 1 die roll 
Run Move 2 die roll
Roll one move die for a figure wishing to move, must move the indicated number or up to a specific designated spot.
Roll two die for Run. Same as move, designated spot or total number rolled.
Run into combat, must use entire total of two die in a straight line into combat. Must take Fatigue check.
Die move 3,4,4,5,5,6  Average die 2,3,3,4,4,5 use as substitute until new dice arrive.

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
As to Bandits I play them a lot and win as often as I lose. The key is lots of cheap level 0 and 1s to tie up the enemy. Then take your big hitters at least two and team up against some medium strong enemy or even the enmy leader. When you out number the enemy you do have the abilty to move you best figures last and you need to maximize that abilty.

One thing that I think helps this is that we do not break up combats of those figures touching. We roll for initiative for all the figures in combat and then work our way thru the figures. So say we have ten figures all touching some how well we play that as one combat. The really good fighters with high initiative really come into their own there, however, so do lots of rank 0s and 1s.

Offline wkeyser

• Scientist
Here are some photos for one of our games in Copenhagen.

DSC_0084 by William Keyser, on Flickr

DSC_0093 by William Keyser, on Flickr

I have made these cards for our figures, each has a photo and name of the figure, the figures have the names on the bases ;)

DSC_0086 by William Keyser, on Flickr

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Nice work and excellent looking layout for your game 👍
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
Fantastic looking table!

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Thanks for the rule adaptations wkeyser.  They are very extensive and look quite good; we have to try them.  Regarding playing tips, we have also found that a couple of low rankers, combined with a level 2, can tie up an enemy level 3 or 4 pretty well.  Also, high ranking figures with heavy armor may fast become bullet catchers, if the opponent has a decent shot armed with a teppo.  A bandit Gashira with teppo and the appropriate skill attribute to use it can bring down/cripple a level 3 or 4 opponent .

Offline metalface13

• Scientist
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2021, 06:20:58 PM »
Hi everyone, just finished up an Oni and a few villagers, I have a pair of other Oni, more villagers, and expansions to both the bandit and Sohei warbands in the pipeline and many more on the ready rack. I'd love to hear if anyone has any ideas for additions to my Japanese mythology collection, which is currently comprised of (now out of production) Legends of the 5 Rings Shadowlands miniatures (courtesy of Metternich) and some Forlorn Hope "Nippon Orcs" (as Bakemono) along with a couple of Reaper minis entries for Naga and some forest spirits. All ideas welcome!

Warlord makes some cool oni and tengu models now
https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/warlords-of-erehwon/products/warlords-of-erehwon-oni-ogres
https://store.warlordgames.com/collections/warlords-of-erehwon/products/warlords-of-erehwon-tengu