Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 02:04:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690649
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin - First Foray into Wargaming (Now w/ the Undead!)  (Read 16877 times)

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
    • Wyrd Stones and Tackle Zones
Re: Ronin - First Foray into Wargaming and a Playset Complete! (Now with Oni!)
« Reply #45 on: January 08, 2021, 04:36:59 PM »
This all looks amazing, and very inspiring!

Where do the little terrain bits in this photo come from?

Offline Monkey

• Bookworm
    • KT Nestboxes
http:www.ktnestboxes.co.uk

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
Re: Ronin - First Foray into Wargaming and a Playset Complete! (Now with Oni!)
« Reply #47 on: January 09, 2021, 05:09:11 PM »
This all looks amazing, and very inspiring!

Where do the little terrain bits in this photo come from?

Hi Jack, thank you so much! Monkey is exactly right, the majority of those terrain pieces are from those 2 TTcombat sets. The Pavises are a perry metal set from their fantastic Japanese range, the well is a 3D printed one from a farm set I got on etsy, as are the crates and tubs next to the gong. I also have some more terrain bits on the way from Oshiro Games, so I look forward to those arriving hopefully soon!

@wkeyser, thank you for that run down and the beautiful pics from your games, I talked to Metternich and we'll definitely be using some of your rule changes in our games as well!

I'm currently in the process of finishing another 10 bandits for Metternich, then I'll likely expand the Sohei a bit more to match and we can start playing ronin games with a larger option set for our rosters or doing slightly larger skirmish games (like feudal patrol).

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
I certainly look forward to it !

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
The inspiration these pics have given me... I can’t express enough. Ordering Ronin and Northstar minis this month.

Can you also share:
What mat you’re using? I have a citadel grasslands mat I love but I like the dirt patches on this one around the buildings.
How did you make the cherry blossom trees or where did you get them?

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
The inspiration these pics have given me... I can’t express enough. Ordering Ronin and Northstar minis this month.

Can you also share:
What mat you’re using? I have a citadel grasslands mat I love but I like the dirt patches on this one around the buildings.
How did you make the cherry blossom trees or where did you get them?

I love to hear it! You'll have to share your progress as you start to paint them up!!!

I got my mat from amazon, you can find it by searching "Stratagem 6' x 4' Open Field Grass Terrain Neoprene Tabletop Wargaming Grass Field Battlemat with Carrying Case"

I should learn to make my own, but for now I got the Cherry Trees from Ebay on a listing that was identical to this one: (Search for) "WOODLAND SCENICS ALL SCALE FLOWERING TREES 2"-3" (4) | BN | 3593"

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
Hi everyone! Little update here. I went back and fixed the basing on some of the old minis, adding what I think are better looking flowers and tufts. I've also finished basing on a number of other minis that I've shown work in progress shots for before, in addition to finishing a rather intimidating no-dachi wielding Ronin for Metternich (the remaining 9 miniatures from the North Star bandits set are coming along, and I should be able to put those up pretty soon as well). I've also received some terrain from the fantastic Oshiro games which I'll be painting up, including some paddy fields that I altered by painting the sides in my own color scheme and adding tufts and static grass and finishing with a resin pour. I'm excited to paint up the other Oshiro offerings, they have some amazing stuff that I'll be using as scatter terrain, as well as some small boats for my Wako pirates (they wouldn't be much of a pirate bunch if they had nothing to raid with)! I somehow accidentally matched the paddy field colors to my gaming mat pretty well, which I'm quite chuffed about! I'm also working on some Kappa which should be done shortly after the other 9 Bandits (I actually have quite an assortment of mythological beasties of various descriptions on the work bench at the moment, will have to figure out some Ronin rules for some of them, but others already have rules, like the Oni and Kappa).

« Last Edit: February 24, 2021, 06:07:23 PM by Charlemagne »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Lovely stuff all round  8)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Wellington

• Scientist
Brilliant
A life without Samurai is possible, but not desirable!

Online Mr. White

• Mastermind
 :o
The freehand on the robes!!

Incredible set of models and terrain. It'd be a pleasure to play with this set-up.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
Stunning work! Truly epic world building.
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
crikey what a great looking set of figures and terrain.

are the foot figures on 25mm lipped bases - if so, where do you source them?

Offline Charlemagne

• Assistant
Thanks for the kind words everyone, they are much appreciated!

@Bloggard: I use 30mm lipped bases for infantry, except for the Kappa which I mount on 25mm lipped bases (slotted). Cavalry and many monsters are mounted on 50mm bases. If you're interested, I've attached links to the ones I use below:

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
ah right, thanks very much for the links.

Offline Metternich

• Scatterbrained Genius
Just superb.  Charlemagne painted the Northstar Bandit Buntai holding high his nodachi as a birthday/Xmas present for me (kind of a personal figure), and is in the process of painting up the remainder of the Northstar Bandit Buntai (he usually plays Sohei and I play Bandits in our Ronin games - we are thinking of doing a campaign).  As noted, he is engaged in world-building at a high level.   It is a real joy to play with him on his beautifully realized table and with his wonderfully painted figures.   I just marvel at the shading and highlighting he puts into them.  Truly marvelous.